Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by JeffJarrett » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:01 am

TRL wrote:And yes Toriyama's involvement in the script is the best thing we could've hoped for, I don't want another GT storyline.
You prefer 2008 JSAT storyline?!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:05 am

You weren't directly asking me, but from what I've seen of DBGT, yes, I for one greatly preferred the storyline in the Jump Super Anime Tour special.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:09 am

JeffJarrett wrote:
TRL wrote:And yes Toriyama's involvement in the script is the best thing we could've hoped for, I don't want another GT storyline.
You don't?

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:25 am

Rory wrote:
JeffJarrett wrote:
You don't?
I don't.

Toonami97
Beyond Newbie

Post by Toonami97 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:53 am

People, People. Please for the last few years (Except for heroes and that don't count) Toei seems to be trying to away with GT

Nothing to worry about

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:57 am

The GT storyline is more intersting and complex than the JSAT storyline.

Abo and Kado are flat, and seeing them at Satan's banquet at the end didn't even shock anyone. Their fusion is a more interesting character but appears only for a very short time. Tarble and Gure are background characters even flatter than Abo and Kado.

GT brought back the Tuffles and giant opponents (Lood, Golden Great Apes), and introduced Bebi with his Dr. Mu creation and the Machine Mutants. Villains came back from Hell, and 17 came back as a villain. The Shadow Dragons gave sense to why the series is called "Dragon Ball".

I was shocked to see Freezer mentioned in the introduction for the film, I expected something really new, with a villain not related or too similar to previous villains, it reminded me the JSAT special with villains that are not so villain and who can even be taken by kids.
Last edited by JeffJarrett on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:04 am

Of course GT's storyline is going to be more "complex" than the JSAT special's -- you're talking about a 64-episode series (22 minutes per episode) versus a ~30 minute one-shot special. If GT weren't more "complex" in its underlying basis, yeah, we'd have serious issues to discuss.

I know I've personally given the evil dragons plenty of kudos -- or rather, I've given the (again) underlying plot its fair share of kudos. The execution was atrocious, but there were good ideas there.

The Tsufruians seeking revenge on the Saiyans, and everything about it including traveling to a far-off planet for the final battle against an enemy that's actually a puppet for the larger enemy behind-the-scenes? Been there, done that three years earlier.

(Villains back from Hell? DBZ movie 12. Android fusing with another android to create the ultimate fighter? Cell arc.)

The JSAT special recognized this, and brought humor and self-awareness to the mix. Everything had been so poorly recycled by that point that is was the only thing left to do while they were simultaneously trying to bring back a wonderful feeling of nostalgia and flowers and puppies and happy children. It works. Wonderfully.

Toei clearly wants to go back to the well with a "serious" plot this time, and I'm all for that if going back to the well doesn't mean "use a prior story wholesale".
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:48 am

Some people are very easy to discourage around...
I wouldn't worry, it's a pretty big deal and they know it.
This shot is an non-important one with everyone seen from afar and all, your viewers' eyes are going to go staight to Shenron at this moment and no one else, that's the attracting element of the shot and they know it.
And when I see the level of care they took for the environment with that sky or the shady surrounding trees for example, I'm pretty confident they've never put that much thought and effort on it.
They know it's major, and they will treat it as such, no question there (just seeing the impressive Ultimate Tenkaichi scenes for a mere video game was awesome, so for a product that is a major one of their own, it will be even better).

I think the plot's going to be worth it, it specifically implies that other characters will have a significant role:
Goku alone has been beaten fair and square, which is why he will come back for a second round with everyone else by his sides, cause that's just how you deal with God.
It's going to be hard to find a new way to deal the final blow though, cause they've tried pretty much everything:
one of the available special moves, a brand new special move, everyone combining special moves...
SaiyaJedi wrote: As Mike said, since we don't know, there's really no right or wrong. However, I've recently come around to the hypothesis that both names are based on different katakana spellings of the word "virus":
  • ビールス (bīrusu) --> ビルス ("Birus")
  • ウイルス (uirusu) --> ウイス ("Uis" / "Wis")
Both simply remove one character from the middle of the word to arrive at the name, so it seems pretty convincing to me. That said, it's still just a guess, with no official confirmation. Make of it what you will.
Right, I could see why a pun based on "Virus" would work for Birusu for the reasons I mentionned, but I didn't see that it could possibly apply to Uirusu as well, nice catch! 8)
I guess western versions trying to keep something close to "Virus" but different from each other would be something like Birus (which will remind of egyptian stuff from words like "papyrus") and Virs.

But I agree that until we have any official version, anyone is free to interpret them as they see fit.
We do it even for names that have official versions anyway, since all countries and even formats in a same country have their own versions of names.

Edward Newgate

Post by Edward Newgate » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:07 pm

Oh no, Goku lost! Can anyone defeat Bils? Anyone? No?

How about, you know, Gohan? No?

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:13 pm

JeffJarrett wrote:
Of course. It delivered brilliantly what it said out to do. Which wasn't this epic battle, but just a nice little re-acquaintance with DragonBall's beloved characters. The fact that Abo and Kado end up joining the party is a nice little bit of a spoof of the typical villain coming to earth to destroy Goku story line. Self-irony at it's best. They never really were a threat.

GT just downright insults my intelligence. It looks like Dragonball at the surface, but that shell cracks oh-so-easily.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:22 pm

I hope Goku tries to fight him, but loses, perhaps due in part that he cannot ascend to SS3 because he hasn't in a while. Then when he comes back Gohan beats him. It would be lame if Goku beat him.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:26 pm

JeffJarrett wrote:The GT storyline is more intersting and complex than the JSAT storyline.

Abo and Kado are flat, and seeing them at Satan's banquet at the end didn't even shock anyone. Their fusion is a more interesting character but appears only for a very short time. Tarble and Gure are background characters even flatter than Abo and Kado.

GT brought back the Tuffles and giant opponents (Lood, Golden Great Apes), and introduced Bebi with his Dr. Mu creation and the Machine Mutants. Villains came back from Hell, and 17 came back as a villain. The Shadow Dragons gave sense to why the series is called "Dragon Ball".

I was shocked to see Freezer mentioned in the introduction for the film, I expected something really new, with a villain not related or too similar to previous villains, it reminded me the JSAT special with villains that are not so villain and who can even be taken by kids.
I agree GT was a good overall plot it just needed to be rewritten because all the little things were all messed up, and the show failed to emphasize on the god like super powers of the characters.

Also another reason I think this isn't connected to GT is because the enemy is clearly being established as a very significant and powerful being in the universe, the god of all destruction. In GT the concept was there were people 300000 times stronger than Buu just layin around the solar system, which imo was stupid, this would make that concept even more ridiculous.

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:31 pm

Maybe Gohan and SSJ3 Gotenks can defeat him?

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:34 pm

Cold Skin wrote: It's going to be hard to find a new way to deal the final blow though, cause they've tried pretty much everything:
one of the available special moves, a brand new special move, everyone combining special moves...
Yeah I think instead of having them punch him around for hours just to obliterate him with a super attack, I think he should just be defeated in combat, and give up, and leave. That would be a different way of doing things...

Yeah and seeing how Goku gets defeated the first time around, I think they're setting up someone else getting the chance to be the hero, probably Gohan or maybe even Vegeta.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:47 pm

sonikku956 wrote:Maybe Gohan and SSJ3 Gotenks can defeat him?
Normally I'd say "not likely, it's Toei" but Akira Toriyama is supposedly involved. Maybe someone not Goku will make a difference this time.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:53 pm

I'm torn; I'd like to see Vegeta come up with a cool, surprise, strategic victory, but at the same time I feel like:
1) Vegeta would never be able to get that lucky. As mentioned in other threads by other people, the universe doesn't like him all that much and kind of prefers to screw with him more often than not. Hence the hilarious face on his movie figurine.
2) I feel it'd be kind of a harsh blow in a movie (though not in a manga arc like with the tournaments) if Goku were to just lose and that's that. Also, wouldn't the little kids watching want the main character to win?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:56 pm

I'm all for giving folks screen time and giving other characters some much-needed development and all...

But, realistically, we're looking at the first theatrical presentation of the franchise in 17 years. Goku's going to be the super star. The ultimate star, if you will. Of Jump. 'Cuz it's a joke. On video games.

Edward Newgate

Post by Edward Newgate » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:58 pm

Wait, how does Bils even know about Freeza if he was sleeping for a long period of time? Granted, we don't know enough, but still... why would he be impressed by that feat?

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:02 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote: In GT the concept was there were people 300000 times stronger than Buu just layin around the solar system, which imo was stupid, this would make that concept even more ridiculous.
You obviously weren't watching GT. No one in GT was stronger than Boo except Rilld, Baby, Super 17, and Yi Xing Long. Rilld, and by extention Baby, and 17 could all be easily explained as being stronger than Boo because Dragon Ball has made it clear that no matter how strong you are, someone stronger out there can exist through the power of science (Androids being stronger than Freeza? Exactly).

Not only was Baby a big bad, he could infect people and get stronger through all the people he infected. He infected all of planet Earth and a horrifying majority of its Saiyan population. Plus he infected Vegeta.

Super 17 was also a big bad, and happened to be created by two of the greatest scientific minds that have ever lived.

Yi Xing Long the strongest manifestation of a dragon god. 'Nuff said.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:03 pm

I still want to see SSJ3 Mystic Gohan with black hair. 8)
Thanos before Thanos was cool.