Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:01 am

Strangely, for me, the more I see it, the more I'm warming up to it (not to say I disliked it in the first place) and I forgot to mention how much I liked seeing 18 jump into action too :)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:04 am

The animation looks really great. Birusu's appearance no longer bothers me, either. In fact, it's actually pretty cool. Sort of an Egyptian-ish thing going on there.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:07 am

jjgp1112 wrote:The animation looks really great. Birusu's appearance no longer bothers me, either. In fact, it's actually pretty cool. Sort of an Egyptian-ish thing going on there.
Agreed. Wasn't sure what to make of Bils to begin with, but now I think he looks great.
Super Saiyan Gohan.... w-well, maybe there'll be a reason? :? Other than that, colour me hyped.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:24 am

The new characters' voices fit quite well, I think. Especially Bils; the part where he powers up was rather cool. :)

With Toriyama's involvement I expect a fair amount of Mr. Satan action, but without Daisuke Gori it won't quite be the same. :(
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:40 am

Well, in that clip Pilaf is blue. He's wearing the same outfit, but it's different colors as well. Pretty sure this is just a case of a miscolored figure, and not a Piccolo/Pilaf fusion :D (although that would have been awesome)

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:40 am

Not really sure about Goku fighting on space. It could be just very high, still hard to engulf. But Super Saiyan Gohan probably just proves Toriyama's forgetfulness.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:45 am

Well, at least in Latin America we never had a problem with SSJ Gohan. :roll: At least in our dub there was nothing to contradict he couldn't turn.

And... kill me now... I can't open youtube at work, can't see the trailer. T_T
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:49 am

Well, the original manga doesn't leave it entirely clear for Gohan or not.

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Fox666 wrote:Not really sure about Goku fighting on space. It could be just very high, still hard to engulf. But Super Saiyan Gohan probably just proves Toriyama's forgetfulness.
Toriyama didn't forget anything about Gohan's ability to transform. It's just a few fans who began to think for no reason that Gohan lost his ability to become Super Saiyan while the manga never announced he couldn't.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:03 pm

Fox666 wrote:Well, the original manga doesn't leave it entirely clear for Gohan or not.
Isn't the old Kaioshin the only one who said something like "transforming isn't the answer". I don't remember if there was something to clearly point out that he couldn't go SSJ anymore. It was just something most assumed since his appearance also never changed back.

Again, I don't have a problem with Gohan being SSJ. We might even get a good reason for it.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:05 pm

JeffJarrett wrote:
Fox666 wrote:Not really sure about Goku fighting on space. It could be just very high, still hard to engulf. But Super Saiyan Gohan probably just proves Toriyama's forgetfulness.
Toriyama didn't forget anything about Gohan's ability to transform. It's just a few fans who began to think for no reason that Gohan lost his ability to become Super Saiyan while the manga never announced he couldn't.
If he could, why didn't he used it against Boo?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:06 pm

Cocky. Didn't understand how to (remember, he was instructed to act as if he WERE turning Super Saiyan to get that power out).

Also, Toriyama got bored with him and moved back over to Goku.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:11 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

AceSharp
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AceSharp » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:13 pm

I really hope this turns out to be well scripted.

Can't stand the thought of -

1) Gohan being able to turn SSJ without some sort of explanation (otherwise this discussion will only get worse).
2) The story following the all-too-familiar pattern of Z Fighters/Gohan/Vegeta get beaten, Goku gets stronger, saves the day.

Is creative/thoughtful writing too much to ask?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:17 pm

I assume it's because there was no point. The ultimate power up and SSj transformation might work the same way except the ultimate one does it better?
2) The story following the all-too-familiar pattern of Z Fighters/Gohan/Vegeta get beaten, Goku gets stronger, saves the day.
I also hope it won't follow this pattern.

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:20 pm

This looks amazing.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:22 pm

JeffJarrett wrote:
Except that the Old Kaio Shin implies himself that he doesn't like transformations and made that Gohan didn't have to transform to release full power.
Goku says "you're not even Super Saiyan".
And the Old Kaio Shin says "Yeah, cause transformation is not a pure state, so it can't be a good solution", basically meaning "I unlocked his powers so that any transformation is out of the game now".

And when Gohan tries to "just like turning into a Super Saiyan" (and not "something close to turning into a Super Saiyan"), following his instructions, he ends up... not Super Saiyan, just having an awesome power.
Then against Boo or in Movie 13, he doesn't transform when he could instantly do it if it made things any better, and Gohan is not cocky when he gets beat up.
You even got a relevant shot in movie 13: Goku transforms into Super Saiyan, Goten transforms into Super Saiyan, Gohan makes the same power-boost gesture but no transformation triggers.

So please don't say "just a few fans thought for no reason", those fans obviously have good reasons to think that it was meant that way, at least at the time.

After that, if they chose to change that with this movie, whether it's for logical reasons or not reasons at all, it's not that big an issue and it's easy to accept and find an explanation even if we don't get one from the staff (I would go for a "he found a way to transform anyway" or "his extended potential was temporary in the anime version").

But it's about time people stop saying things that imply "some dumb guys just went delirious thinking he couldn't transform anymore", cause it wasn't delirous, every single thing seemed to indicate that there was no need / possibility for him to transform until now. So enough with the superior "they just don't get it like I do" attitude.

Before jumping to conclusions, it would be good to wait for the actual movie, because there might be an explanation such as "I was always able to transform", or "I found an alternative way to transform" or "I can transform and boost my power even further" or "my power seem to have disappeared over time", or "those Gods cancelled the effect", etc... And if it's one of the latter, those saying "thought for no reason" won't seem so clever boasting about "dumb fans thought for no reason that"...
Last edited by Cold Skin on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:23 pm

Sorry, I didn't want to be rude. Lets remind a few established facts:

- Gohan can power up to his Ultimate form, source: right after Old Kai finished his ritual + the movie Wrath of the Dragon + video games

- SSJ < SSJ2 < Ultimate, source: Shin Budokai games. Similar to how he can chose to go from base to SSJ2 directly without using SSJ, he can chose to go Ultimate directly.

Conclusion, there no point to turn SSJ if Ultimate is above, but Gohan can still use the SSJ form if don't want/need to use his maximum power (similar to Goku's usage of his base or SSJ form while being able to turn SSJ2 and SSJ3 in the Buu Saga, and even later while being able to use SSJ4 in GT).
Last edited by JeffJarrett on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:25 pm

Cold Skin wrote:
JeffJarrett wrote:
Before jumping to conclusions, it would be good to wait for the actual movie, because there might be an explanation such as "I was always able to transform", or "I found an alternative way to transform" or "I can transform and boost my power even further" or "my power seem to have disappeared over time", or "those Gods cancelled the effect", etc... And if it's one of the latter, those saying "thought for no reason" won't seem so clever boasting about "dumb fans thought for no reason that"...
Precisely!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:28 pm

Fox666 wrote:
JeffJarrett wrote:
Fox666 wrote:Super Saiyan Gohan probably just proves Toriyama's forgetfulness.
Who said that Ultimate became Gohan's base form? The only trait that he retained when he hadn't power up where the fully outlined eyes. His hair & eyes expresion still stayed normal, so it's very possible that the Ultimate is a transformation (kinda), and works as an alternative to the Super Saiyan, not a replacement.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.