Dub fans on about the 'manly' voice for Goku..

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mewzard
I Live Here

Re: Dub fans on about the 'manly' voice for Goku..

Post by Mewzard » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanos wrote:Well, as for English adult Goku always being voiced by a man... I think it has to do with the fact that, in Japan, these characters have much better-established personalities. There was most likely, due to translation, a degree of separation (a "dilution" perhaps) with how these characters think and act with respect to their dialogue and personalities. Take Schemmel's early rendition of Goku; essentially a bland action hero with a sense of humor. THAT is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Even with translation and a general sense of how these characters are acting, a lot can be lost there if it isn't done properly.

There's so many quirks and subtleties to Nozawa's child Goku that, from what I understand, it was decided for her to stay the course because it would've just been too dramatic to have changed his voice at that point. He would've lost a significant part of what had been established with the character.
One could argue that bland action hero was the original intent of what the dub wanted to do for the voice, even as far back as the start of the Ocean Dub. Sure, they gotta keep some of those silly moments in there, but the scripting generally pushed towards more "action" than natural.

Thankfully that's not an issue anymore; Schemmel's Goku is now pretty much his natural speaking voice, which he can make peppy and excited when he's pumped up, calm and gentle, when he's speaking with young Gohan, or a little rougher, and more forceful, when he's angry at something. It's not a manly voice in that beefy 80s action hero way, but I would still consider Goku somewhat manly, and I think the voice works. It's not too over-the-top or anything. Schemmel going from a first time voice actor to a skilled veteran certainly helped Kai (along with a good script and good direction).

On the other end, Nozawa's voice is not all that feminine. All of Goku's ways of speaking can be clearly portrayed with her voice, and she is a very skilled VA, so she's good at conveying the varied emotions. The only issue is, even if he sounds older than he did as a young boy, this is still more of a kind of voice you'd get with a younger teen than someone fully grown. And that's not necessarily a problem, but it's not the standard of the industry, and can be off putting at first. You can adjust, but that does, somewhat, make one wonder why his voice didn't change that much compared to some of the others (especially the other Saiyans Goku fights, who are all with much deeper voices). It's not a bad thing, but it is certainly different.

Comparing Goku to his contemporaries in Japan can make him the odd man out. When you have Kenshiro being voiced by Akira Kamiya (this is what I would call a rather manly voice), Seiya voiced by Tohru Furuya (Yamcha being a rather big step down for the star of Saint Seiya and Mobile Suit Gundam, lol), and Jonathan Joestar voiced by Kazuyuki Okitsu (I don't care that the anime started in October, the Manga started in 1987...it's good enough to warrant the comparison >_>), Masako Nozawa's Goku is different. But, like I said, that's not a bad thing. For Goku, there's not just one right way to do the role. I've got two Goku voice actors I love hearing, and despite doing the roles with two different voices, both work. Some can argue others work, and they're free to. I think they both capture the charm of Goku in their own ways.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:39 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Side note: learned from Yuuji Mitsuya (Kaioshin in DBZ, and the voice director for Kenshin) at the Otakon panel a couple years back (where we grilled him on Kai and first learned of its possible impending-failure) that he specifically requested Mayo Suzukaze to do Kenshin's voice, having known her from their live-action performance troupe.

Many of these are very deliberate and intentional castings.
Oh wow, that's awesome, I had no idea that he directed Kenshin. I did kind of figure that it was on purpose though - Kenshin is described (or at least his real-life inspiration was) as being somewhat feminine in appearance. So it definitely works there.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:51 am

At the end of the day, Nozawa's situation is incredibly difficult to emulate in other languages without grating on the ears like nothing else. It just is. Next best thing is to get a man who still gets the character. Stateside, Schemmeul has basically done that to the best of his ability, at times to a point I don't think a lot of us though possible.
Thanos wrote:The only official English voice for Goku I really appreciated was Peter Kelamis. Maybe it isn't necessary to use a female, but there was a sense of almost ambiguity in his voice at times, which is fitting because of Goku's child-like nature:

Classic example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2aQr0lRXVA
Still love that video.
Thanos wrote:Oh Christ, Clinkenbeard. That Gohan is just atrocious. Nothing screams "Girl trying to sound like little boy" quite like Clinkenbeard Gohan.

I actually... kind of liked Nadolny's Goku/Gohan. They actually sounded boyish to some extent, if a bit robotic at times.
Totally agreement with all of this. I wouldn't call Clinkenbeard a total failure, certainly not, but I can rarely listen to her in the role without being reminded that it's a woman playing a boy. Which is the very definition of jarring.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:07 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Totally agreement with all of this. I wouldn't call Clinkenbeard a total failure, certainly not, but I can rarely listen to her in the role without being reminded that it's a woman playing a boy. Which is the very definition of jarring.
True but then again, those are similar to my feeling on Nozawa's Goku (as an adult especially). It's not bad but I can tell that it's a female playing a man. Only worse since Goku's balls should've dropped by the 25th(?) Tenkaichi Tournament with Piccolo Jr. Clinkenbeard as Gohan is fine by me since I find her to capture the character quite well and he was 4 to 10 years old when she voice him. You know, before puberty.

Plus, Timmy Turner has a similarly shrill voice (though to a lesser extend). Of course, I never took note as a kid.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:32 pm

To be honest, now that I've become fully acquainted with both the original Japanese version and the English dubs of the Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z anime, the only real problem I have with Masako Nozawa's Gokuu is that she sounds a little too shrill when she screams. I prefer Sean Schemmel because, even at his worst, I'd take "motorbike revving up" over "ear-rapingly high-pitched". And Schemmel's Gokuu isn't even bad in DBZ Kai; he's improved massively since 1999, and does really sound like the character, having attained the ability to represent both his calm side and more aggressive side with equally good measure.

And I don't care what anyone says; I think Colleen Clinkenbeard is near-perfect for Gohan, sounding realistically like a little boy, and her voice evolves as he ages. She can sound appropriately adorable when he's adorable, and appropriately enraged when he's enraged. Far better than the raspy screeching from Stephanie Nadolny.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:40 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:07 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:If it's the intended voice for Goku, then there's no need for me to listen to any other. Besides, Toriyama picked it out! :P
Yeah, when Goku was still a shrimp.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:27 am

The characters Nozawa voices are related — it makes some sort of sense for them to sound similar. There's no relationship between Vegeta, Piccolo and Reacoom.

I don't think anybody would have complained about Sabat voicing Vegeta Jr., for instance, or Trunks if he'd managed to pull it off (assuming Trunks' voice wasn't already established in English, I mean).
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanos wrote:Sean Schemmel isn't necessarily bassy in his voice, but it's too... eh, beefy. Mature. That could easily be the voice of a super hero. When he acts silly, it just seems forced. :?
Y'know, I'd have said the exact opposite. I much prefer him playing "light" Goku than "super serious" Goku, although he's gotten better at both.

I'm still unsure what the original question is. The English male VAs don't really scream, so much, as do the same sort of yelling that weight-lifters and other people exerting do.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:22 pm

As a fan primarily of the Japanese version, who grew up with a completely different (and completely horrible) dub (Portuguese dub) and who never really watched the English dub outside of some YouTube clips and Kai episodes VPNed from NickToons' website, I want to say that I find no problem whatsoever in Schemmel's current (as of Kai) Gokū.

(I do have problems with some of the other voices though, like Kaiō and Muten-Rōshi, but that's a whole different story)
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.