Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:23 am

kei17 wrote:I was listening closely to the trailer and noticed that Mr. Satan said "bakeneko" (cat monster) instead of "baka neko" (dumb cat).
Awwww, I liked the latter better... lol
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:45 am

Saiga wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:So i'm guessing the movie will be GT again. GT= Goku Time.

Please let the others do things.
Of course it's gonna be Goku's time again. He is the main character of the franchise. He is what Luffy is to One Piece, what Naruto is to Naruto, what Arale is to Dr. Slump, what Jack Sparrow is to The Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. Sure he was replaced by Gohan, and almost additionally by Goten &Trunks, but still Toriyama decided that ultimately, Goku is the main character of the series. And that's how it will always will be, like it or not. Because Goku is a better hero compared Gohan, Goten, or Trunks, and most importantly, Goku sells better. And they obviously want this to sell a lot, so experimenting with new main characters like Pan, Oob, Goku Jr. & Vegeta Jr., Beet, or the main character in DBO wouldn't be a very good idea.
Goku being the main character is different from Goku being the only character that gets to have any importance.
But we did saw more characters in action, so...

And wow, awesome new trailer!
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:20 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:22 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote: But we did saw more characters in action, so...
So nothing, they'll probably all get their asses kicked and contribute nothing.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:39 am

How long do you guys think the movie will really be? The DBZ movies started averaging at about 50 minutes towards the end of their run back in the day and I was looking at recent one piece films and they range anywhere from 60 minutes to about 115.

I would really like to think it'll be more in the 60-115 range. Preferably 115 minutes. :D

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:22 am

Seen the trailer and it looks promising. I'm now beginning to get somewhat excited.

If the 2013 DBZ yearly game is based on this film, I hope NB doesn't disappoint its fans. Enough of trying to revive the franchise with old games.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:27 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Seen the trailer and it looks promising. I'm now beginning to get somewhat excited.

If the 2013 DBZ yearly game is based on this film, I hope NB doesn't disappoint its fans. Enough of trying to revive the franchise with old games.
Ooooo... I didn't even think about a new game based on this movie. That's an exciting prospect!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:51 am

Pretty much every DB video game is designed to disappoint. And yet people still get excited for new ones. If anything, a game based on the movie will be even worse than one not based on it.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:58 am

And yeah, as we can see in the trailer (in the DB/shocked gang scene), Gohan is really wearing glasses... yellow glasses.
Roshi's glasses are white.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:01 am

I don't think making a video game based off the movie would work out very well. There wouldn't be enough content to make a whole game out of.

Now, including the characters in next years annual video game would be a much better idea.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:51 am

kei17 wrote:By the way, I noticed that there's an Egyptian goddess named Sekhmet, who has a lion face and was believed to cause diseases. You know, lions belong to the cat family, and disease can be associated with virus.
I noticed this when the fans around the internet started talking about Bils' design being "based" on Anubis. Also, Sekhmet and Bils have the same position, Sekhmet is the Egyptian Goddess of Destruction: http://www.thaliatook.com/AMGG/sekhmet.html

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:10 am

Saiga wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote: But we did saw more characters in action, so...
So nothing, they'll probably all get their asses kicked and contribute nothing.
But that's what happens in Dragon Ball all the time.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:12 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote: But that's what happens in Dragon Ball all the time.
In movies/Goku Time yes, and the manga to a lesser extent. But that doesn't mean people couldn't have expected better from this movie, or be unhappy with it for continuing the trend.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:29 am

Saiga wrote:
In movies/Goku Time yes, and the manga to a lesser extent. But that doesn't mean people couldn't have expected better from this movie, or be unhappy with it for continuing the trend.
Goku fought alone in the three Tenkaichi Budokai, the whole Red Ribbon, Piccolo Daimao, Freeza & Boo (with help from others for the Genki Dama), he fought alone Vegeta and lost, and Gohan defeated Cell alone.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:35 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Saiga wrote:
Goku fought alone in the three Tenkaichi Budokai, the whole Red Ribbon, Piccolo Daimao, Freeza & Boo (with help from others for the Genki Dama), he fought alone Vegeta and lost, and Gohan defeated Cell alone.
The Tenkaichi Budokai are tournaments, that's obviously an unfair example. And even during them, other characters got to shine like Kuririn vs Piccolo. Piccolo got to put up a fight against second-form Freeza, Gohan defeating Cell is a subversion from Goku doing everything, Goku needed Vegeta to stall against Pure Boo, not to mention Gotenks and Gohan fought Evil Boo and Vegeta fused with Goku... plenty examples in the manga of other characters getting to be important (although early Dragon Ball was pretty bad with this).

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:42 am

The Tenkaichi Budokai gave other characters the opportunity to shine a bit in the spot light (like Krillin vs Jackie Chun, Krillin vs Piccolo , Ten vs Tao Pai Pai) and so did the Saiyan, Freeza and Buu Arc. Even if in the end it was Goku that dealt the final and most important blow, other characters contributed to those stories with more than simply just "trying and failing" (even if they did fail ).

Sani

Post by Sani » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:10 am

Maybe, this is is a crazy idea, but what if, the third hidden figure and the "Is there nobody on Earth more worthy to destroy…?" guy, is the God of the Creation? (aka the creator of the Dragon World, not Toriyama :D )

If it's true, this will be the Battle of Gods.

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:50 am

I'm starting to think that Piccolo, Tenshinhan and A-18 are getting koed by Bils with the usual single shot.
If it is the case, it will be disappointing, but, it happened all the time in the manga, therefore, this scene can be reminiscent of A-17 handling Piccolo, Tenshinhan and Trunks.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Saiga wrote:The Tenkaichi Budokai are tournaments, that's obviously an unfair example. And even during them, other characters got to shine like Kuririn vs Piccolo. Piccolo got to put up a fight against second-form Freeza, Gohan defeating Cell is a subversion from Goku doing everything, Goku needed Vegeta to stall against Pure Boo, not to mention Gotenks and Gohan fought Evil Boo and Vegeta fused with Goku... plenty examples in the manga of other characters getting to be important (although early Dragon Ball was pretty bad with this).
Still, all of them failed, eventually. Same thing happens in the movies too. The problem with the movies is though that the secondary characters don't have enough time to shine & fail at the same time, so they just fail.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:18 pm

The would love for the final silhouette to be Tori-bot. And he ends up being the fabled "God of Creation."
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog