DBZKai comes to the UK

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:58 am

Solidus wrote:I just noticed this in the description of Kai from the website:

Prologue to Battle! The Return of Goku! Five years have passed since Goku's victory over Piccolo. An odd looking spacecraft crashes to Earth and a strange man emerges who almost kills Piccolo!

They didn't censor 'kills'. I wonder if this means anything for the dub or edited version being shown.
My bet is that we'll be getting an edited dub. Firstly because, if I remember correctly, "Ocean Studios" was listed in the credits on the Nicktoons and CW-edited FUNimation dubs of Kai. I can't remember exactly what they were credited for, so someone feel free to remind me, but I believe they were credited for doing something like "video edits," or something to that effect. My guess is that, in order to minimize editing costs, perhaps FUNimation and Ocean collaborated on what they anticipated would likely be censored, for both American and Canadian TV formats.

Among other things to note...
-Ocean only appears in the credits for the edited dubs, not for the uncut one.
-Sometimes episode descriptions aren't censored for some reason, even though the episodes are. The online description for episodes on Toonzai.com (before it went down) used to mention deaths in the episode descriptions as well. Even though they were censored in the actual episodes. I still don't understand why "death," "die," and "kill" are such terrible words for kids to hear. Apparently it's okay for them to be shown in print, but saying them out loud, then--"WHOA, WHOA, SLOW DOWN!"
-Another example of the oddities of episode descriptions...the official description of one episode of DBZ Kai that appeared when you click the "info" button on your remote (or the equivalent button) mentioned how Goku and Gohan were going to train in the "Room of Spirit and Time," which still turned out to be "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" in both the edited and the uncut dub. Very weird.
-If the episodes have the same titles, Ocean is likely using FUNimation's scripts. Or the UK really is getting the FUNimation dub of Kai. At which point, we can all breathe a collective sigh of disappointment at having to wait even longer to hear this damn dub!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Went to : http://www.kixtv.co.uk/whats-on/index.a ... 13/01/2013#
Looked at one of the Kai episode summaries and it says :
Dragon Ball Z Kai

Dawn of the Fierce Battle. The Star of Hope Is Piccolo's Homeland. Before Krillin deals the final blow to Vegeta, Goku intervenes. Kuririn decides the planet needs more citizens to make Dragonballs.
Made me laugh to myself :P

EDIT:

In fact there are a few funny errors, check this one:
Dragon Ball Z Kai

A Life or Death Battle! Goku and Piccolo's Desperate Attack! Goku and Piccolo are no match for Raditz in direct conflict. They decide new tactics are needed! Goku's sons witness a grave event.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:59 pm

Sin wrote:Went to : http://www.kixtv.co.uk/whats-on/index.a ... 13/01/2013#
Looked at one of the Kai episode summaries and it says :
Dragon Ball Z Kai

Dawn of the Fierce Battle. The Star of Hope Is Piccolo's Homeland. Before Krillin deals the final blow to Vegeta, Goku intervenes. Kuririn decides the planet needs more citizens to make Dragonballs.
Made me laugh to myself :P

EDIT:

In fact there are a few funny errors, check this one:
Dragon Ball Z Kai

A Life or Death Battle! Goku and Piccolo's Desperate Attack! Goku and Piccolo are no match for Raditz in direct conflict. They decide new tactics are needed! Goku's sons witness a grave event.
All these grammer mistakes. Maybe we are getting a Big Green Dub of Kai. :lol:

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:52 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I wonder how they'll pronounce the letter Z, because in UK, we say Zed not Zee. Besides that, it would only leave people in confusion as to what is "Zee" in UK.
About 3/4 of cartoons on TV are American, and kids can cope with that fine. Likewise Sesame Street. And, obviously, they aired the show as Dragon Ball Zee for about 6 years with lots of people speaking in American accents. Kids will be fine.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:51 pm

Credit to madged1 over at UKDB for this information:
It looks like DBZ Kai is coming even sooner than we thought. On Wednesday the 26th of this month DBZ Kai will air at 6pm GMT with the first two episodes. http://www.kixtv.co.uk/whats-on/index.a ... 26/12/2012
That's less than two weeks away! It looks like that Kix! announcement on Saturday has to be Kai now at this stage.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:17 pm

So, um, heh, not that I'd advocate piracy or anything, but um..............................................................................................who's gonna upload it to YouTube for us non-British people to see?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

dbzforeverUK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dbzforeverUK » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Maybe i will maybe i won't :wink: I'm sure there is a legal way of showing this to non UK viewers without infringing anything.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:34 pm

Let's put it this way: people streamed Kai online back when it was still new in Japan and openly discussed it in the chatroom. I think people will find a way, whether behind the scenes or no.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:44 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:So, um, heh, not that I'd advocate piracy or anything, but um..............................................................................................who's gonna upload it to YouTube for us non-British people to see?
Don't count on YouTube because Toei Animation's on the look out.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:58 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:So, um, heh, not that I'd advocate piracy or anything, but um..............................................................................................who's gonna upload it to YouTube for us non-British people to see?
Don't count on YouTube because Toei Animation's on the look out.
I've seen plenty of un-mirrored episodes on Youtube that have yet to be taken down by Toei. I doubt they're going to focus on getting rid of 1 little video of an alternate dub as soon as it's released and uploaded.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:54 am

What dub are they going to air, Ocean right?
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:58 am

Avenged wrote:What dub are they going to air, Ocean right?
Ocean Dub likely but there's still a small chance it may be just the Funimation Dub.
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:41 am

Gonstead wrote:I've seen plenty of un-mirrored episodes on Youtube that have yet to be taken down by Toei. I doubt they're going to focus on getting rid of 1 little video of an alternate dub as soon as it's released and uploaded.
TA could've gone easier from time to time, but even still if something hits their skull they'll take down whichever videos they want because they own them. And then the uploader makes a copyright claim to get rid of the warning plus whatever.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:08 am

Avenged wrote:What dub are they going to air, Ocean right?
We're not sure at the moment.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

TestDemo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TestDemo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:07 am

An advert on the channel aired this morning showing clips of the series, promoting the Boxing Day sneak peek.

While I cannot be sure (because I haven't seen DBZ Kai, I think it may be the US dub), I recorded the advert, see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV3yyJHl ... e=youtu.be

Can some tell me which dub it is?
Last edited by TestDemo on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:32 am

It's the Funimation Dub.

TestDemo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TestDemo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:45 am

Provided that the promo uses the US dub, I wonder if that is what the UK will be recieving. I guess it won't be known for sure until it airs.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:11 am

I guess it isn't the Ocean dub after all.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:38 am

So then for what are they producing the Ocean dub?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:01 am

kei17 wrote:So then for what are they producing the Ocean dub?
For Scott McNeil's personal viewing. In his locked basement. While he works out half-naked on outdated gym equipment and drinks Canadian Club whiskey while listening to Europe's "The Final Countdown", singing the words to a poster of Alan Thicke, circa Thicke of the Night with careworn eyes and a broken heart, sobbing openly as the song ends and he's left wondering why they never let him play Wolverine anymore.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?