Short filler scenes you love.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Re: Short filler scenes you love.

Post by matt0044 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:12 am

ZAR wrote:17, 18, and 16 being arrested by the cops after they’ve been chased by the biker gang. I’ve always loved the cop’s reactions to them breaking the cuffs and 18 throwing the car.

I actually enjoy all of the filler scenes of them traveling to Goku's house. I'm glad there's so much of it.
They have nice banter too. I enjoyed them in Kai.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:17 am

- Goku remembering about his grandpa in Episode 288
- Goku's recovery from the heart virus
- Gotenks and Piccolo getting smacked into the bathtub, and Piccolo popping out from under the water to tell him to get out
- Kuririn telling Bulma to bitch at him and Gohan another time
- Kuririn saving that girl and her little brother from Cell
- Chi-Chi scolding Gohan, Yamcha, Oolong, and Kame-sennin for deciding to make Goku fight immediately after recovering from the heart virus
- The scenes of Goku during his recuperation in the Namek Saga
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

elyas11
Not-So-Newbie

Post by elyas11 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:17 am

Not sure if this was in the manga but the roleplay of Satan defeating Cell before the tournament started. I just loved their reaction.
Also, I LOVE the Innards of Buu episode. The worms! Vegeta's reaction! I literally cried of laughter at that episode.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:47 pm

-Goku's fear of needles.
-Vegeta and Bulma before the androids.
-Goku's nightmare of 17 and 18 killing everyone.
-Chichi and Goku kissing off screen after he gets cured from the heart virus. The only scene where Goku seems to actually understand romantic love. xD
-All of the "inside Buu" filler. All of the Goku and Vegeta interaction is just gold. GOLD I SAY.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:52 pm

Goku hugging Goten when they first met.
Yamucha saying "Boards, don't hit back."
Yamucha training for the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai in the wilderness.
Eh, most of the filler training scenes are pretty good.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Chichi getting so pissed at Maron that she goes Kaioken.

It could almost be seen as a 4th wall breaking joke, with all the fan-made nonsense transformations that have been seen well after the fact. (Like Super Saiyan 4 Kuririn, and that kinda stuff)
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Rukura wrote:Chichi getting so pissed at Maron that she goes Kaioken.

It could almost be seen as a 4th wall breaking joke, with all the fan-made nonsense transformations that have been seen well after the fact. (Like Super Saiyan 4 Kuririn, and that kinda stuff)
I forget about that one. It probably explains the SSJ Chi-Chi fanart

It's probably the only memorial thing from the Garlic Jr. Saga.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:27 pm

Ussj Future Trunks wrote:
GotenDaisuki wrote:I loved the scene in the Cell-Game arc when Gohan is trying to kill Cell with his Kamehame-Ha. Everyone helped out and shot ki blasts at Cell even though they knew it would be futile. Thanks to that, I believe Vegeta was also influenced to help, and so, his help caught Cell off-guard and Gohan unleashed his remaining power, killing Cell.
I always thought it lessened Vegeta's help. I mean now he's just being part of the group, but in the manga it was a huge deal because he was the only one helping
I prefer the anime version, because, as you say, in the manga he is the only one who helps. In the TV version Piccolo and co know that they aren't strong enough to really make a difference, but damnit they are going to try, because that's what Goku has taught them, and they are going to do it in his memory.

It's my favourite anime-only scene.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:29 pm

There are so many.

-Pilaf and co going to Roshi's island.
-Shuu and Mai's attempts to blow up the motorhome.
-Training in the heavenly realm
-Goku and Chichi's wedding, and the scene where they're talking to Gyumao about having a ceremony. That stuff needed to be included.
-Yamcha's baseball career
-Bulma's reaction to Yamcha's death. (Is that in Kai?)
-Goku's hallucinations during his fight with Freeza, both while drowning and Vegeta's ghost.
-The sad end to Kuririn and Maron's relationship
-The Vegeta/Bulma stuff pre-androids
-Vegeta standing in the rain (I think that was filler)
-The antics of the androids while on their road trip
-The stuff of Kuririn, Piccolo, Yamcha and Tenshinhan chasing after Cell was really essential to the pacing
-Goku getting better from his illness, definitely one of the best. (Was this in Kai?)
-Gohan burning the meat in RoSaT
-Goku, Gohan and Kuririn chilling pre-Cell Games.
-Basically all of the Great Saiyaman stuff, that's brilliant and I hope a lot of it stays in Kai
-Satan's towel falling off and the paparazzi going wild
-Goku taking a bath with Goten and Trunks

Probably a lot more.
Last edited by Fizzer on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:31 pm

I always enjoyed the filler with Gohan and the robot during the beginning of the series, because it actually helped Gohan develop as a character.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:21 pm

LiamKav wrote:
Ussj Future Trunks wrote:
GotenDaisuki wrote:I loved the scene in the Cell-Game arc when Gohan is trying to kill Cell with his Kamehame-Ha. Everyone helped out and shot ki blasts at Cell even though they knew it would be futile. Thanks to that, I believe Vegeta was also influenced to help, and so, his help caught Cell off-guard and Gohan unleashed his remaining power, killing Cell.
I always thought it lessened Vegeta's help. I mean now he's just being part of the group, but in the manga it was a huge deal because he was the only one helping
I prefer the anime version, because, as you say, in the manga he is the only one who helps. In the TV version Piccolo and co know that they aren't strong enough to really make a difference, but damnit they are going to try, because that's what Goku has taught them, and they are going to do it in his memory.

Plus, it's still a shock because it's Vegeta actually helping.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:24 pm

Eat my dust Piccolo! Nuff said...
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:48 am

Scarz wrote:The scene where Goku shows his fear of needles.
I was just about to post that. I kinda wish it wasn't filler.

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:53 pm

I enjoyed watching Goku going 'Super Kaio-Ken' against Paikuhan.
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:55 pm

Kuwabara wrote:I always enjoyed the filler with Gohan and the robot during the beginning of the series, because it actually helped Gohan develop as a character.
^ Loved this part. When I first watched it, I cried when the robot died.
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:47 pm

LiamKav wrote:I prefer the anime version, because, as you say, in the manga he is the only one who helps. In the TV version Piccolo and co know that they aren't strong enough to really make a difference, but damnit they are going to try, because that's what Goku has taught them, and they are going to do it in his memory.

The manga version doesn't last long enough for them to help. Piccolo and everybody else are still picking themselves up from the explosion causes by the Kamehamehas colliding when Vegeta intervenes.

Which, y'know, makes sense....since Gohan is supposedly severely weakened...

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Ashura wrote:I dig some of the extra Piccolo training Gohan stuff from the anime. Not all of it, since it goes on for a long while, but especially in Kai, it seems like Piccolo essentially goes:

Piccolo: I'm going to train you!

_ Next episode _

Piccolo: You're trained!

And it really devalues Gohan's struggle when the pacing is cut down like that so much.
They turned, like...eight chapters or so into four episodes. That's pretty good pacing.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:27 pm

I just re-re-re-re-watched the episode where Son Gokuu fights Giran. I love Nishio's directing this episode, espicially in the commisary scene where Giran beats up the Orinji monks. Toei really did a lot to make Giran a badass. I wish they had changed the ending to the fight to try to preserve the aura they had given the guy.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf