Episode #0319 (23 December 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Episode #0319 (23 December 2012)

Post by Sinestro » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:39 pm

I loved the discussion. Even if it doesn't matter to me.

I did ask a friend why he thought it mattered. His response was hm questioning if Gohan is still as strong, or second strongest to Goku, as he's a Gohan fan. I directed him to this podcast.

As always, Kanzenshuu, keep up the great work!

FinalFlash

Post by FinalFlash » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:57 pm

I had something quick to add about whether or not Gohan's full potential was totally unlocked with this power up as opposed to the previous ones given to him in the series. In Viz DBZ volume 25 (DB volume 41) page 217, after Gohan is healed by Dende, Buu remarks that "Well, you're only back to your former ineptitude, You didn't get any stronger." To me, this seems to imply that Gohan's power was completely maxed out. Toriyama seemed to go out of his way to show that Gohan could no longer get a Saiyan "Near Death Powerup", which does not seem like something he would do without reason. By doing this, I feel as though it is likely that at this point in time, Gohan's power was totally maxed out without the possibility of getting stronger.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:33 pm

To be honest, that doesn't have to be referring to a Saiyan healing-powerup. Boo could just be saying, "why bother getting healed when you're just going to get beat up again?"
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:02 am

FinalFlash wrote:after Gohan is healed by Dende, Buu remarks that "Well, you're only back to your former ineptitude, You didn't get any stronger." To me, this seems to imply that Gohan's power was completely maxed out.
If Gohan, at that level of power, would have gained like 4,000 from a Zenkai, do you really think Boo would've noticed? Gohan was probably in billions by then. It's not necessarily that he didn't receive a Zenkai, just that it wasn't necessarily big.

FinalFlash

Post by FinalFlash » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:28 am

hleV wrote:
FinalFlash wrote:after Gohan is healed by Dende, Buu remarks that "Well, you're only back to your former ineptitude, You didn't get any stronger." To me, this seems to imply that Gohan's power was completely maxed out.
If Gohan, at that level of power, would have gained like 4,000 from a Zenkai, do you really think Boo would've noticed? Gohan was probably in billions by then. It's not necessarily that he didn't receive a Zenkai, just that it wasn't necessarily big.
Certainly possible, though Zenkai seemed to work in proportion, rather than adding a set amount. Not to reduce this to number, but while Vegeta's first one he got on earth may have gotten him only about 4,000, the ones he kept getting against the Ginyu force and later inflicted by Kuririn seemed to be a far above that. I could be wrong, but the wording of that line by Buu coupled with him having Piccolo's mind (and therefore having knowledge of the powerup) always pointed to that for me.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:43 pm

One of the guides did say that the "zenkai" boosts became small, insignificant, or non-existent (it can apparently be taken to mean any of these, the way it's worded) for everyone later in the story. If that's the case, it wouldn't be weird for Gohan to not get any noticeable boost. Honestly, if they could still power up immensely by recovering from near death, they should have just been beating themselves up and getting Dende or senzu beans to heal them.

FinalFlash

Post by FinalFlash » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Bussani wrote:One of the guides did say that the "zenkai" boosts became small, insignificant, or non-existent (it can apparently be taken to mean any of these, the way it's worded) for everyone later in the story. If that's the case, it wouldn't be weird for Gohan to not get any noticeable boost. Honestly, if they could still power up immensely by recovering from near death, they should have just been beating themselves up and getting Dende or senzu beans to heal them.
Oh, I didn't know that. That probably clears that up then. And yes, I suppose there would be no reason for them not to abuse the "zenkai" boost if they were still as beneficial as they were previously.