DBZ Sagas and my thoughts

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:21 pm

I rented this game, and I still feel ripped off.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Demi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Demi » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:15 pm

Onikage725 wrote:I rented this game, and I still feel ripped off.
I got given this game for free and i somehow feel ripped off.

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:12 pm

Ahhh, Sagas. Here's how I described it:

Average beat-em-up with 3D graphics and a DBZ license. This is not an 'adventure' game. Every single course in the game follows a narrow, linear path. You cannot diverge from said path due to surrounding trees/rocks/mountains/invisible walls.

Most beat em ups let you choose from a variety of characters, with varying strengths/weaknesses/moves. Each and every one of the characters in Sagas controls exactly the same, the only differing thing being the character's apperance, their voice, and their 'special move' (all of which do the same amount of damage anyhow). You can collect capsules to upgrade your health and energy, and 'Z Coins' to unlock various special techniques/moves/etc that should've been enabled from the start anyway.
"I am an Android from the future, destined to absorb 17 and 18. ~<3"

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:41 pm

I played about 15 minutes of Sagas in the local Gamestop, and I agree that it sucks.

What would be good, and I think what Sagas was trying to be, would be an RPG-esque game that played (at least in combat) like Sparking.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

unstable_person99
Beyond Newbie

Post by unstable_person99 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:00 pm

My dad paid $20 for Sagas a few months ago, just because my little brother was curious and wanted to see what it was like. Later I decided to play with him so that I could see if the bad things I had heard about this game were true.

It was pretty fun, though the bugs and stiff controls kinda bothered me, and even though I like the extra characters in Pendulum Mode, the difficulty was 60 times harder.

A funny thing happened one time during co-op mode in Pendulum. It was in that level where you have to protect the Capsule Corp. buildings. I was playing as Mirai Gohan, and my brother was Broli. While we were fighting the prototype androids, Gohan froze up and my brother (while screaming, "Protect the package!") had Broli push me away for about 20 seconds until Gohan could move again.
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/f169/unstable_person99/Avatars/?sc=1&multi=13&addtype=local&media=image&test=test]Avatars[/url]

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:47 am

lost in thought wrote:
Xyex wrote:Eh, you and Meri are both just too picky lost.
I am damn proud of my picky-ness, too. I didn't enjoy this game at all, and I found playing it more of a chore than fun.
Understandable. Because, you are, as I said, picky.
lost in thought wrote:
Xyex wrote:I have Sagas and it's far from a bad game. A little below average in some areas, good in others, but not bad.
You say that, but...
Xyex wrote:"but there's not really much reason to play it a second time."
...Then you said this. There's no reason not to call a spade a shovel for this release.
So? It's fun the first time you play it but it's not game that screams "Come back, play again!" at you. I've played a number of great games like that and seen a lot of great movies like that. Where, exactly, is the issue?
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:51 am

Whoah, I just realized April Fools is the anniversary of when I first played Sagas..... :shock:

Nyoibo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nyoibo » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:33 am

Hahaha... That HAS to mean something, you know? I can imagine you saying: "This must be a joke!" and then realizing it was April Fool's day.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:47 pm

Nyoibo wrote:Hahaha... That HAS to mean something, you know? I can imagine you saying: "This must be a joke!" and then realizing it was April Fool's day.
I was fooled into thinking I'd be playing a decent dbz game. :cry:

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:26 pm

After reading everyone's comments I really feel sorry for everyone who pre-ordered or payed full price for this game. For a DBZ game it was sub-par, but for $10 to me it was just fine.

This just seems like one of those games that sounded better in thoery than in execution; a beat em up side scroller for DBZ sounds good on paper, but it was fairly short sided of Atari to hand off the project to such a new and inexperienced developer, with so little development time. Still for all its faults I thought it was cute, with a little of the series' charm.

A little more polish, some diversity, and some extra modes/mini games would've gone a long way to making it more playable.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:36 pm

The worst thing, I thought, was that Pendulum Room mode's difficulty was all fucked up. For example:

*Raditz fell quickly to Gokuu in story mode, but Future Gohan (one-arm) and Tenshinhan in Pendulum Room, took 45 minutes to beat him.
*Future Gohan (two arms) took 30 minutes to beat Nappa in PR, but in story mode, Chibi Gohan beat him in mere moments.
*Yamucha took down Cell in the final battle much quicker than SS2 Gohan did in Story Mode.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!