Always confused about the forms of Boo

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mistershin

Re: Always confused about the forms of Boo

Post by mistershin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:07 pm

If Toriyama considers Birusu canon and puts him in the DB history, then I too consider BoG canon.

Amuro Ray
Beyond Newbie

Post by Amuro Ray » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Saiga wrote:Pure Boo is weaker in the manga, stronger in the anime.

In the manga, when Goku & Vegeta refer to him gaining power, that was when he was temporarily taking on the form he had after absorbing the South Kaioshin. Then he turns into Pure Boo and they regain their confidence.
This bullshit and wasn't implied ever in the manga.

Amuro Ray
Beyond Newbie

Post by Amuro Ray » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:07 pm

FindKenshi wrote:I'm of the opinion that Kid Buu is stronger than Super Buu, and yes I can make my case using evidence strictly from the manga. I did not arrive at this idea easily, and I was a believer in the opposite camp for the majority of my web-posting DBZ fandom. However, after looking back over the story with hindsight, it's very clear to me that it was at least the author's intent that Goku > Gohan and Kid Buu > Super Buu, even if he arrived at that intent after going through a mid-story change. There is an interview in which he basically admits he didn't think Gohan was good enough for the role of the hero so he decided to bring Goku back and let him win the day.

Anyway, almost any argument for Super Buu > Kid Buu can be countered by various happenings in the manga. Won't get into detail here, though I'll probably make a big post with scans soon just out of boredom. Expect it in a couple days or so. As for a small example though, Herms brought up the whole

"Goku was afraid to fight Super Buu but was willing to fight Kid Buu."

In my manga, Goku suggested hiding out in Kaioshin Kai to come up with a plan first, and Buu warped there and forced him into a conflict. If that's not an accurate translation of the events, please let me know. Since when has "Gung Ho Goku" ever wanted to avoid conflict in favor of making up a plan? So, clearly, he was just as willing to fight Kid Buu as he was Super Buu--not very. Another small example: Super Buu supporters usually point out Goku saying they'd need to fuse to beat Super Buu, but wanting to fight Kid Buu without fusing. I'd personally point out that during the final battle, Goku literally states that he regretted breaking the Potara, and admits he was "trying to act too cool."
I've Always held this opinion myself.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:10 pm

Amuro Ray wrote:This bullshit and wasn't implied ever in the manga.
Why haven't you just said it before? You have completely changed my mind!!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:13 pm

No need for snark (from either side, here). If you have something worthwhile to add, by all means, type out your thoughts and reasoning behind it. We'd love to read it.

If all you have to post is a dismissive comment that adds nothing to any discussion, it's not worth posting in the first place.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Amuro Ray
Beyond Newbie

Post by Amuro Ray » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:14 pm

Fox666 wrote:
Amuro Ray wrote:This bullshit and wasn't implied ever in the manga.
Why haven't you just said it before? You have completely changed my mind!!
Sarcasm or not, it doesn't make my statement false.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:41 pm

Don't worry, I am starting to like you.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Amuro Ray wrote:

In the manga, when Goku & Vegeta refer to him gaining power, that was when he was temporarily taking on the form he had after absorbing the South Kaioshin. Then he turns into Pure Boo and they regain their confidence.
Prove it then.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Wasn't Saiga post 10 days old?
Last edited by Fox666 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Fox666 wrote:Wasn't your post 10 days old?
What post? (Assuming that you are talking to me.)
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Amuro Ray
Beyond Newbie

Post by Amuro Ray » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:48 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Amuro Ray wrote:

Prove it then.
What is there to prove? The whole universe is at stake, including otherworlds, and you think that everyone is ok with just "winging it?" Look at the context of the situation as a whole, and try to overcome your bias and see what the writer was trying to convey, that even TOEI seemed to interpret the situation as such. It's only recently that heavily flawed logic has overcome all other reasoning.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:01 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Fox666 wrote:Wasn't your post 10 days old?
What post? (Assuming that you are talking to me.)
Oh yeah, it Saiga who posted that, not you. Anyway it is an old post.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:11 am

Here's what I've been wondering:

What is Super Buu? He's not the original Buu, that's Kid Buu. He's not a Buu who actually can use the power of the Kais he absorbed, that's Buff Buu, who's stronger than Super Buu. And he's not the evil side of Fat Buu, that's Pure Evil Buu.

The Buff Buu point is what really confuses me. I always thought that Super Buu was Kid Buu + South Supreme Kai, hence why he's so strong, but he's not... so why is Super Buu so much stronger than Kid Buu?

And when Fat Buu expelled his evil, shouldn't he have expelled Kid Buu, not Gray Buu?

God, my head hurts...
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:22 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Here's what I've been wondering:

What is Super Buu? He's not the original Buu that's Kid Buu. He's not a Buu who actually can use the power of the Kais he absorbed, that's Buff Buu, who's stronger than Super Buu. And he's not the evil side of Fat Buu, that's Pure Evil Buu.

The Buff Buu point is what really confuses me. I always thought that Super Buu was Kid Buu + South Supreme Kai, hence why he's so strong, but he's not... so why is Super Buu so much stronger than Kid Buu?
Evil Buu (Super Buu) is the same make-up as Fat Buu (they're both Pure Buu and both South and Dai Kaioushin), but in the case of Evil Buu, the negative influence of Dai Kaioushin on his power isn't as profound as it was with Fat Buu. Evil Buu isn't as powerful as South Kaioushin Buu because there is some of Dai Kaioushin's influence in him, which is holding him back a bit, both physically and mentally.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:28 am

I see. So Super Buu is basically the half-way point between Fat Buu and Buff Buu.

Then what's Good Buu? He can't have the power of both of the Kais or he wouldn't be weaker than Kid Buu, since South Kai alone brought Buu from about as strong as SS3 Goku to scaring the crap out of Goku at the mere thought of facing him... without even having access to South Kai's full power. Is Good Buu somehow dragged down by the Grand Supreme Kai as well?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:30 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Here's what I've been wondering: What is Super Buu? He's not the original Buu, that's Kid Buu. He's not a Buu who actually can use the power of the Kais he absorbed, that's Buff Buu, who's stronger than Super Buu. And he's not the evil side of Fat Buu, that's Pure Evil Buu.
Far as I can figure, he's a form of Boo who's got MOST of the total "Pure Boo + South Kaioshin" power of Buff Boo at his disposal, but not all of it, because he's still partially weakened by the Grand Kaioshin. Fat Boo is the result of the Grand Kaioshin's influence being in control and locking away most of that total compounded power. But with Evil ("Super") Boo, things are reversed, and with his evil side in control that good influence is minimized.
RandomGuy96 wrote:Then what's Good Buu? He can't have the power of both of the Kais or he wouldn't be weaker than Kid Buu, since South Kai alone brought Buu from about as strong as SS3 Goku to scaring the crap out of Goku at the mere thought of facing him... without even having access to South Kai's full power. Is Good Buu somehow dragged down by the Grand Supreme Kai as well?
Could be. Perhaps in all the back-and-forth expulsion and absorption shenanigans, Majin Boo was pretty much cloned as a result, and we ended up with one who's a copy but identical to the original in power and evil (the Pure Boo finished off by the Spirit Bomb), and the original who at the end of it is little more than a self-conflicted hodgepodge of clashing Kaioshin powers in Boo form.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:34 am

Saiga wrote:Toriyama finding Gohan unsuitable for the role has nothing to do with power, as Gohan was obviously capable of defeating Evil Boo after his power up.
Yes, and also there is nothing that indicates Gohan not being able to beat Kid Buu. Just because he wasn't there to fight in the first place.... lol and it wouldn't make sense to put SSJ3 Goku > Gohan anyway. That's been a moot point for a while.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:55 am

Amuro Ray wrote:What is there to prove? The whole universe is at stake, including otherworlds, and you think that everyone is ok with just "winging it?"
And yet they crushed the magical item that would have let them save the universe with ease because they thought fighting as they were would be better.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:28 am

Kaboom wrote:Far as I can figure, he's a form of Boo who's got MOST of the total "Pure Boo + South Kaioshin" power of Buff Boo at his disposal, but not all of it, because he's still partially weakened by the Grand Kaioshin.
I don't really think that Evil Boo power was meant to be connected with the Kaioshins. He is just a powered-up version of the Majin Boo that was weakened by the Dai Kaioshin, and we didn't get much explanation.

Amuro Ray
Beyond Newbie

Post by Amuro Ray » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:47 am

I re-read the Manga last night, it never mentioned "superbuu" being stronger than "Fatbuu."