Why didn't SSJ God look more like this?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Why didn't SSJ God look more like this?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri May 17, 2013 11:21 pm

It was actually inconsistent between if the tail was gold or not in GT, wasn't it?

I've always preferred the idea that it did turn gold along with the hair, under the theory that the form turns all hair on the body gold. Yes, even there.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat May 18, 2013 1:09 am

It was inconsistent, but I'm not just talking about GT. I am pretty sure everything else (games, EoB, etc) had the fur stay brown

@TheMightyOzaru No. The Oozaru would just not be gold. The Oozaru doesn't have hair, it's covered in fur. I don't like the Golden Oozaru concept, and I'd have SS4 be obtained without it.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat May 18, 2013 2:12 am

Saiga wrote:The Oozaru doesn't have hair, it's covered in fur.
Just nitpicking, but there shouldn't really be a distinction in that sense. Fur is just the term used to describe the hair of a non-human mammal...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Mjb1985
Advanced Regular

Post by Mjb1985 » Sat May 18, 2013 2:18 am

Yea fur and hair are in the same boat as me. So I guess a Super Saiyans entire body hair is golden yellow huh. And we never see Saiyans with body hair.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat May 18, 2013 2:26 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Just nitpicking, but there shouldn't really be a distinction in that sense. Fur is just the term used to describe the hair of a non-human mammal...
I know there is no real distinction, but for a Saiyan they're different colours and I didn't know how else to word it. I mean that the Oozaru would take after the tail fur than the Saiyan's head hair.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sat May 18, 2013 5:13 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Well, Saiyan's hair is black and tail ("fur") is brown. So there IS a distinction.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sat May 18, 2013 5:16 pm

hleV wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Well, Saiyan's hair is black and tail ("fur") is brown. So there IS a distinction.
The Oozaru's hair is it's fur....
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

lash
Regular

Post by lash » Sat May 18, 2013 8:17 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:This is more SSJ God than the original design IMO. What do you guys think?
No.

The only issue I have with SSj God's design is the fact that Goku gets thinner.
Opinionated design factors aside, there just can't be a (good) reasonable reason for that.
Unless SSJ God's speed is augmented better than his strength? Unless Gods by nature are suppose to be scrawny(Kami-sama, Kaioshin, Kaio, Birusu, etc. But then what about folks like South Kaioshin?) and therefore a Super Saiyan God would follow the same principle? Whatever the case, I don't enjoy glancing at the supposed 'ultimate Saiyan warrior' comparatively looking borderline malnourished. They should have just kept him the same as in base.
-Otherwise known as The God of DBG.

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Sat May 18, 2013 8:35 pm

lash wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:This is more SSJ God than the original design IMO. What do you guys think?
No.

Opinionated design factors aside, there just can't be a (good) reasonable reason for that.
Unless SSJ God's speed is augmented better than his strength? Unless Gods by nature are suppose to be scrawny(Kami-sama, Kaioshin, Kaio, Birusu, etc. But then what about folks like South Kaioshin?) and therefore a Super Saiyan God would follow the same principle? Whatever the case, I don't enjoy glancing at the supposed 'ultimate Saiyan warrior' comparatively looking borderline malnourished. They should have just kept him the same as in base.
If you think thin and lithe is malnourished what do you think those Olympic runners are...? This isn't the colonial times where fat was considered healthy because you had too much food to eat.

He looks like what a martial artist should look like IMO, not a jacked up buff hunk of meat.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:42 pm

lash wrote:
No.

I agree to a degree. I personally wanted the hair be like SSJ. But more importantly I don't like scrawny Goku. They should have kept his base physique.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

lash
Regular

Post by lash » Sat May 18, 2013 10:37 pm

Draken wrote: If you think thin and lithe is malnourished what do you think those Olympic runners are...? This isn't the colonial times where fat was considered healthy because you had too much food to eat.
Comparatively to an average adult sized Saiyan(that's why i bolded it)... yes, SSJ God does look a little borderline malnourished, like I said. It doesn't help that this Saiyan is suppose to be the Ultimate fighting warrior...literally a Saiyan God.

Base Goku isn't fat, though. Olympic runners aren't warriors fighting/training against the strongest kinds of beings in the universe, either. I mean I get the point you're trying to make, but it just isn't applicable here. You'd have to assume that after all those years of hard work, training, and even first-hand understanding the faults of the SSJ grade states, that Base Goku hasn't already trained his body to be the best size it needs to be. I don't find that very likely at all.
dbzfan7 wrote:I agree to a degree. I personally wanted the hair be like SSJ. But more importantly I don't like scrawny Goku. They should have kept his base physique.
I'm not exactly ecstatic about SSJ God's design. But what OP is proposing is just SSJ Goku with red hair, which = 50x more lamer and unoriginal than what it is now, at least in my opinion. The current design at least makes a little sense too: SSJ God is a powerup of the normal state...as I'm pretty sure the original SSJ God on planet Vegeta didn't have Battle power high enough to become a SSJ1 on his own. I do agree that the naming should be Saiyan God or something or that sort as someone earlier said. But SSJ God is acceptable enough too. I just view it in the same sense as SSJ4...a different evolution of Saiyan powerup just using the 'Super Saiyan' naming scheme out of convenience.

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Sun May 19, 2013 12:35 am

Really? The average adult fighting Saiyan? First off, we have no idea what that really looks like besides random movie stuff, and second off Goku in the Freeza arc seems pretty much like him in SSG to me. He was an adult, a fighting Saiyan, and was not a bundle of muscle like when he turned SSJ. Not sure where you get malnourished from. Third, those movie Saiyans weren't jacked bundles of muscle either. Like Vegeta in GT... dear Godku.

lash
Regular

Post by lash » Sun May 19, 2013 1:28 am

Draken wrote:Really? The average adult fighting Saiyan? First off, we have no idea what that really looks like besides random movie stuff, and
second off Goku in the Freeza arc seems pretty much like him in SSG to me. He was an adult, a fighting Saiyan, and was not a bundle of muscle like when he turned SSJ. Not sure where you get malnourished from.
Third, those movie Saiyans weren't jacked bundles of muscle either. Like Vegeta in GT... dear Godku.
-There's over seven adult saiyans shown in the series. It's not exactly 'random' then if there are other average Saiyans in a movie or TV special, moreover.
-It seems you haven't seen SSJ God. There's a massive visible difference between this or this, compared to this. It also seems you're arguing a strawman or confused by what I'm trying to get across. I never said base/SSJ Goku or any average Saiyan was bundles of muscle. All I'm saying is that SSJ God looks malnourished when compared to the average Saiyan warrior. (We all know size doesn't actually indicate one's health). So going back to my original statement, I'm stating that there doesn't seem to be any particularly good reason to have SSJ God look scrawnier than Goku's normal form. When Goku's normal/SSJ physique is already the prime size Goku has decided to train and maintain.
-Irrelevant to my point.

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Sun May 19, 2013 4:24 am

I would prefer if SSJG was slightly more muscular so it had a sort of Bruce Lee build to it. I haven't seen enough of it in the movie to see if it's more muscular than the Toriyama image though. :)

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sun May 19, 2013 4:42 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
hleV wrote: Well, Saiyan's hair is black and tail ("fur") is brown. So there IS a distinction.
The Oozaru's hair is it's fur....
I didn't say it's not. I said there's a distinction between a normal Saiyan form's head hair and tail hair. Why wouldn't it apply to SS?

Anyway, I don't believe that Oozaru and SSx are compatible with each other, but I agree (with someone) with the idea that if they were to be mixed, it should be yellow hair and brown fur.

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Sun May 19, 2013 11:03 am

I think you missed the later point in the fight when Goku literally got like twice as big due to muscle just before the planet was exploding.

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Sun May 19, 2013 12:00 pm

That seems more noticeable in the anime, he does look like he gets bigger once he transforms again in the manga but there are times when Goku looks around that big in base in the Freeza arc. It seems to me that when Freeza goes 100% Toriyama makes Goku look bigger too. Base Goku in the Freeza arc is most definitely bigger than SSJG though.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 19, 2013 3:01 pm

In some shots that I've seen, even 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai Goku's arms look beefier than ssjg Goku's arms. I can't make a final call until I see the movie in full though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Sun May 19, 2013 3:23 pm

I agree with you Chuquita, I can't really judge it properly until I see the movie. :)

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun May 19, 2013 5:33 pm

I'm getting more impatient for this movie every time I hear SSJG.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!