North Carolina's Animazement 2013 Mega Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Re: North Carolina's Animazement to Host Nozawa and Furukawa

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun May 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Mewzard wrote:
songohan619 wrote:I love (Z) Kai, too, just as much as the original Z!
...don`t kill me...
I'll go a step further. I like Kai's dub more than the original Japanese version, despite also liking the Japanese version. *blindfolds self, smoking a cigarette*

Nobody's wrong for having an opinion or preference, so don't worry about it. You're safe her-*explodes from board-wide ki volley*

What?! You like it more than the original Japanese version?

Well, I might not understand why but, hey... that's you. I really only like the English dub of DBK. I can't watch it in Japanese because it just feels... I don't know... a little off? I'm so used to certain lines in the Japanese version (of DBZ) that it can play like a song in my head. I'm just so used to those line delivery's and when certain music chimes in that every thing is off for me in DBK.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun May 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Mewzard wrote:
songohan619 wrote:I love (Z) Kai, too, just as much as the original Z!
...don`t kill me...
I'll go a step further. I like Kai's dub more than the original Japanese version, despite also liking the Japanese version. *blindfolds self, smoking a cigarette*

Nobody's wrong for having an opinion or preference, so don't worry about it. You're safe her-*explodes from board-wide ki volley*

What?! You like it more than the original Japanese version?

Well, I might not understand why but, hey... that's you. I really only like the English dub of DBK. I can't watch it in Japanese because it just feels... I don't know... a little off? I'm so used to certain lines in the Japanese version (of DBZ) that it can play like a song in my head. I'm just so used to those line delivery's and when certain music chimes in that every thing is off for me in DBK.
Oh no, I broke Tanooki Kuribo's mind! lol

I do. I like both a lot, Kai's just edged it out for me. Before, my love of the original Z's sub passed my dub days because of just how much was wrong/flawed about the original dub. That said, I always knew they could use most of this cast and make a good dub out of it...but it was a slow process, lol. Watching Kai dubbed just felt very good to me. I still enjoy my Dragon Boxes, but 60% of the time, I'll probably go to Kai's dub over Z's sub. Not a hate or a knock on the old guard, I just really like what Funi did with it...or rather what they didn't do with it this time, lol.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon May 27, 2013 12:07 am

I just want everyone who got to go to the con to know that I hate them oh so much, possibly eternally. :evil:
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon May 27, 2013 1:11 am

All right, everyone. Here's full-length Japanese VA panels from Animazement. Unfortunately, I didn't make it into the "Here Comes One Piece" or "We are VIDEL!" panels, but I'm sure you folks will enjoy these ones I managed to capture. In advance, I apologize for the shakiness and occasional quality loss.

Masako Nozawa's "Voices of Heroes' World": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_rlLX2kwAw
Toshio Furukawa's "Talking to Ataru? Piccolo? Or...?": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqkoXU14Eto (Part 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPYB1ikCF2Q (Part 2)
Dragon Ball: East Meets West (Japanese and English VAs together in one room!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HhyhPol-8A
We Are GOKU! (Masako Nozawa and Sean Schemmel): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjlOXnEvmbo (DISCLAIMER: The panel started late, and I didn't get into the room until halfway through the panel. But here's the latter half of the panel)
"Ryusei Nakao Off-line!": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDLt36S4KfI

Hope you all enjoy! And fellow Kanzenshuu-ers who were at AZ, you guys are all great and hopefully we can all meet again!
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 27, 2013 2:07 am

SO cool and so many thanks! X3
Watching Nozawa's panel now (the others may have to wait til after I sleep, unfortunately) will give my thoughts after I finish. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon May 27, 2013 2:57 am

That Nozawa panel didn't disappoint. She is absolutely adorable; her reactions had me grinning from ear to ear. I loved how she was just as excited to talk about Galaxy Express and One Piece as she was about DragonBall. To whoever asked her about Guilmon in Digimon Tamers, THANK YOU. I was worried it wasn't going to be mentioned. I'm very relieved to see that the fans treated her with such respect. Maybe she'll come back next year!

Thanks so much for the videos, theoriginalbilis!
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 27, 2013 4:19 am

Really nice panel; I especially liked learning about the history of dubbing foreign movies in Japan, how certain things were performed live and what led to having female VA's voicing young boy characters in lieu of boys voicing boys.

I am surprised no one asked about BOG though (maybe it comes up in other panels? I plan to watch those tomorrow.).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon May 27, 2013 2:16 pm

That was amazing, the energy level of the room seemed high, and I got that from a video, can't imagine the excitement in person. I'm so glad to see both casts just hitting it off. I liked how Schemmel dealt with the TFS question, there is a time and place for those. But not during a panel with both official casts and one cast not even knowing of its existance.

I wish I could have gone as a fan of both casts. Hope Nozawa and co. come back more. I'd love to see dual cast panels become a regular thing.

I was also pleasently surprised as how well Toshio Furukawa and Yuko Minaguchi speak English. I also laughed my ass of when she said 'He (Kyle) is my husband', referring to Gohan/Videl.

Thank you, theoriginalbilis! Hopefully someone else manages to put up the first part of the We are Goku! panel.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Wed May 29, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pretorious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pretorious » Mon May 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Bilis, Kara Edwards linked to your video of the big panel on her Facebook! I think that's pretty cool.

Also, I am personally glad that you have video of the Nakao panel, because I was next door at the Videl panel and had to miss it. Though we could clearly hear him yell stuff that sounded like "YAGAGAGAGAGAH!" though the wall, which was hilarious since the Videl panel was pretty low-key, and whenever he did that, it would overwhelm whatever the Videls were saying.

I thought the most interesting comment at the Videl panel was when Kara Edwards said that she disagreed with how she was directed to play Goten. She didn't like making him do that ridiculous raspy thing with his voice, and pointed out that NO ONE actually talks that way. (When she said this, I just wanted to stand up and cheer!) She said if she DID hear someone talk like that way, she would be freaked out by it. And to contrast, she pointed out Bart Simpson, who is voiced by a woman and doesn't do that.

I hate to overstate it, but man, I was so glad she addressed this. The fake raspy voice thing in English Dragon Ball drives me up the wall. (WHY does Trunks do this in Kai?)

Anyway, she also said that voicing Goten like that, in addition to not having been trained to use her vocal cords correctly, caused her to damage them, and she is still in therapy for that. I thought that was a shame. Despite the language barrier, the two Videls really seemed to take a liking to each other, which I thought was really sweet.

EDIT: Someone uploaded clips from the We Are Videl panel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyqCjqWNVEw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IalbLJmBRM
Last edited by Pretorious on Mon May 27, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Mon May 27, 2013 7:26 pm

Seeing how much respect these actors have for each other is great. These panels were awesome. Thanks for recording them! :)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 27, 2013 8:31 pm

We live in great time for geekdom (er, fandom). We've gotten a ton of comic book movies, many of which have been great, one of which was a team up movie. Who ever thought we'd see an Avengers film? Now, we are seeing dub actors on the same stage with the originals! I never thought I'd see the day. Plus, we have a faithful dub with Kai.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Really enjoyed the panels. The East meets West was especially magical.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 27, 2013 10:03 pm

My three general reports (one from each day) are up, if you haven't been following along:
As I said in the Sunday write-up, there are more clips and stories to be shared. I'll have a bunch more for you on the next episode of the podcast!

I also expect plenty of you to be sharing other pictures...! :)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:16 pm

Cool that Ryusei did a kanzenshuu shout out. Did you get Masako to do one? Then you would have Masako, Furukawa, Horikawa, and Nako all doing a shout out.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon May 27, 2013 10:35 pm

Yeah, seeing the We are Panels, I wanna see one with Nakao and Ayres. A We are Freeza panel would be amazing.

Mousey

Post by Mousey » Mon May 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Bilis, I can't wait to watch the panel videos later! I was there even, but still a part of me is excited about it as if it were something new. I've been giddy about them all weekend, especially meeting Nozawa! Nakao's panel was seriously the best end to the weekend, too. All of you guys who participated were so adorable that I could hardly stand it.

It was great meeting so many of you! The outpouring of the fandom just simply made the entire thing that much better!

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon May 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Freeza's my favorite anime villain; so yes, Nakao and Ayres together would be eff'in crazy...

Now that the convention's over, the whole experience feels surreal, like a dream; like it could never really happen. And yet, it did. I got to do voice acting with Freeza. My life is complete. I'm shocked, but I was the winning Freeza laugh at 16:39. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDLt36S4KfI#t=16m39s

And for the record, meeting Mike and Meri and the rest of you awesome Kanzenshuu peeps was a highlight of the con. You guys (and gal) rock!
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:36 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:Freeza's my favorite anime villain; so yes, Nakao and Ayres together would be eff'in crazy...

Now that the convention's over, the whole experience feels surreal, like a dream; like it could never really happen. And yet, it did. I got to do voice acting with Freeza. My life is complete. I'm shocked, but I was the winning Freeza laugh at 16:39. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDLt36S4KfI#t=16m39s

And for the record, meeting Mike and Meri and the rest of you awesome Kanzenshuu peeps was a highlight of the con. You guys (and gal) rock!
Damn your pretty good.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Tue May 28, 2013 3:55 am

in the East vs West panel, although they had their translators around, it seemed the Japanese cast understood most of what was happening and being said. Did you get that impression? Also, Nakao and Furukawa are more used to conventions, how did you think Nozawa felt? Did she seemed unconfortable, confortable, shy? Wasn't she freaked out by the American guy (Schemmell) calling her by first-time and being all touchy?

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Tue May 28, 2013 6:21 am

theoriginalbilis, you are truly a man among men for recording these panels and uploading them. I've only watched the We are Goku! and East Meets West so far, but I've enjoyed every moment. I'll get around to watching the others later when I can.