Listing for "Ocean Dub"-specific DBZ: "Rock the Dragon" Set

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Listing for "Ocean Dub"-specific DBZ in July

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:46 pm

NitroEX wrote:I don't see how Funi's first in house dub attempt was any better than the Blue Water dub. I'm not really fond of either Blue water's GT or Funi's earliest dubbing attempts but music aside the acting is really no better in the Freeza episodes and honestly why would it be? Funi had just hired those actors most of which had never done any voice work before DBZ and it shows. Sure they improved as time went on but a lot of their earliest stuff is noticeably flat, fortunately for them music makes everything sound a little better and that's something their dub wasn't short of.

It's easier to paint the Blue water stuff in a worse light simply because it's GT but I genuinely think the acting (while still bad) is equally as bad as Funi's season 3.
Well acting aside one area where Blue Water GT really sucked was casting. I know Sean and Chris weren't good when they started but at least they ultimately proved they had the potential to be great as Goku and Vegeta. In Blue Water GT they had Jeremiah Yurk as Goku who was pretty much as far away from Goku as you could get. He was clearly cast to sound like Kirby Morrow who wasn't right for Goku to begin with. Atleast Morrow could actually act. Yurk was wooden and unsuitable. And Vegeta in Blue Water sounded like an even worse Drummond impression than Sabat's early effort. The only voice I really liked in Blue Water GT was Zoe Sulsar as Kid Goku.

As for the Westwood dub you had Tien's actor sounding as wooden as ever and Klassen doing his annoying Krillin voice as well as a terrible Roshi and West Kai and Babidi who all sounded the same. Then there was Kelamis who was a shadow of his former Goku and sounding like he was trying way too hard with the screams. And also monotone, old-sounding Trunks with his classic line"it will be the end of us all! NOOOOOO!!!". Drummond still had his moments but didn't measure up to his previous work. Mcneil was still good as Piccolo but was awful as 16 and Dabura. 17, 18 and Gero were passable impressions of the Funi versions. And Cell who lacked that villainous tone in his voice. 19 sounded decent I guess.

Despite the many flaws of Funi Season 3 I fail to see how the Westwood dub was in the least bit better.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:58 pm

What's wrong with Klassen's Kuririn? Is it worse than Sonny's Popeye on helium?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:09 pm

ABED wrote:What's wrong with Klassen's Kuririn? Is it worse than Sonny's Popeye on helium?
I certainly find it more annoying. In the Saban dub I didn't mind it but in the Westwood dub his voice just seems to get on my nerves. Klassen doesn't sound remotely tough as Krillin but Sonny's does sound tough. I know Krillin isn't always the bravest character but he isn't as much of a whiny annoyance as Klassen makes him sound.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:11 pm

I haven't seen the westwood dub, so from what I saw Klassen was fine as Kuririn, whereas Sonny got much better once he deepened Kuririn's voice.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:15 pm

ABED wrote:I haven't seen the westwood dub, so from what I saw Klassen was fine as Kuririn, whereas Sonny got much better once he deepened Kuririn's voice.
I agree that Sonny wasn't good when his voice sounded higher but at least he improved while Klassen got worse.
I'd say Deep voice Sonny>Saban dub Klassen>High pitch voice Sonny>Westwood dub Klassen

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:36 pm

Is there not going to be a cheaper release? 99 bucks is a little too high for my blood considering I already own all 53 episodes and the first 3 movies. :? It's another Dragonball Release and I gotta get it UGH! haha :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:57 pm

That's suggested retail price. Amazon and Best Buy are guarenteed to sell it far cheaper. They'll probably sell it for around $50-60.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:02 pm

I'll wait til she pops up on amazon then. I'll probably pick it up but I just can't afford 100 bucks on it.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:05 pm

It's already ~$60 on RightStuf if you're interested in pre-ordering there.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:11 pm

I have to work out a few budget things then I may. I don't even have a paypal account or ebay account anymore after someone tried to hack us. :P I probably get it all sorted out though. :D Thanks! :wave:
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Mousey

Post by Mousey » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:19 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
ABED wrote:What's wrong with Klassen's Kuririn? Is it worse than Sonny's Popeye on helium?
I certainly find it more annoying. In the Saban dub I didn't mind it but in the Westwood dub his voice just seems to get on my nerves. Klassen doesn't sound remotely tough as Krillin but Sonny's does sound tough. I know Krillin isn't always the bravest character but he isn't as much of a whiny annoyance as Klassen makes him sound.
The overall quality of all the Ocean Studios actors dropped when Saban bowed out of the picture. Like Brian Drummond, who murdered the role of Vegeta in the early days but was lackluster afterward. It goes to show just how important direction is, even when dealing with talented people (like Klassen too, whose voice I really love). And as much I may resent Saban for certain business practices that are eye-roll worthy at best, they still employ some smart and talented people behind the scenes.

Also, wow, I'm stoked for this even though I already own a lot of the old material. (Granted, it's mainly on VHS, sooo...) Even if it's the cut-up and changed broadcast version, and it kind of has to be unless they somehow can get back the entire cast from 20 years ago, the Ocean version had a zany charm. Amazing how good Saban was with that whole thing.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Wait is this for real? The box art is definitely an improvement, and we get Movies 1-3? The Namek episodes and book are nice but the fudgetastic movie dubs? I'm sold!

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:49 pm

so do you guys think they will include region 4 as one of the codes on the disc ie Mexico

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:57 pm

mikezilla2 wrote:so do you guys think they will include region 4 as one of the codes on the disc ie Mexico
All of Funimation's DVD releases are regions 1 and 4, so I'm guessing this one will be the same.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

Fri1991

Post by Fri1991 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:49 am

I'm actually glad that FUNimation is doing this release. I just hope that they release the first two episodes with the original broadcast audio before they re-dubbed it to take out the mentions of death before Pioneer released the episodes on the home video market back in the 90s.
Fri1991 - The One and Only

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:58 am

thedarkuniter wrote:
mikezilla2 wrote:so do you guys think they will include region 4 as one of the codes on the disc ie Mexico
All of Funimation's DVD releases are regions 1 and 4, so I'm guessing this one will be the same.
all of there DBZ dvd relaseses are but not there no db related dvds ?

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:05 am

Can't wait for the Dragon Ball: Gotta Find That Dragon Ball set!
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:41 am

AgitoZ wrote:Can't wait for the Dragon Ball: Gotta Find That Dragon Ball set!
Well if they do that, they might as well do a Step Into the Grand Tour set. :D

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:13 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
Well if they do that, they might as well do a Step Into the Grand Tour set. :D
I still don't get what the point of this is, Pioneer released the 53 on DVD as well as the 3 movies so this seems almost worthless unless there is something new. <- What's new other than BOG at this point?
It WOULD be nice if they did get the old cast back together to re-record missing lines and episodes though and release the 108-271 to DVD. I mean, is 28 odd some episodes really worth $35? Especially when it probably has horrible PQ!
They might as well should have just reissued the old DVDs and replace the pioneer with the funimation logo.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:29 am

Actually, you can find that at some places still. Picked up a used copy of the second half and Curse of the Blood Rubies at FYE years ago, mainly to get Curse of the Blood Rubies. (This was before Funimation did the re-release).