Goku joins the "Smash Bros." roster?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Goku joins the "Smash Bros." roster?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:19 pm

I remember Brawl was coming out that Nintendo stated that all third party characters must have originate in a video game. I think you are better off finding treasure under water then Goku being in Super Smash Bros.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:26 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: I think you are better off finding treasure under water then Goku being in Super Smash Bros.
That happens more often than you'd think. :wink:

Okay, so they're not exactly treasure chests filled with gold...but some pretty valuable things, that are worth a good amount of money.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanos wrote:The same line of logic can be used to say that, "At least whoever's in Melee is a Nintendo character!" Snake is not. Your argument implies that the development of these games is not progressive... Snake and Sonic have proven that to not be the case, so just because Goku didn't originate in a video game doesn't mean he can't appear in the game. If it were still 2005 and the game were strictly Nintendo-based in terms of its roster, I'd agree with you. But in this age of Solid Snake, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Namco-Bandai co-development, it's difficult to see your argument, while you may be right, as concrete and set in stone. There's no reason to think the fact that his origins are not in video games would alter the decision to include him among the developers.
Maybe, but I'd say it makes it preeetty unlikely. As I said before, I'll believe it when I see it.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:21 pm

Well the trailer for the next game is going to be shown next week. I still doubt Goku will be in the game, but I'm betting that a random third party character will show up.
Well, considering how well known Dragonball Z and Goku are all over the world and how every other smash bros. clone has anime characters in it
Pokemon started off a video game before it started off as a anime series. Goku in this game won't work since Smash Bros is a fighting game about mainly Nintendo video game characters. Just putting him in a Smash Bros game like putting a Predator in Project X Zone.
miguelnuva1 wrote:DBZ was huge in japan for 30 years and was big everywhere else since the 90's. Goku is mainstreme.
Goku is a popular character in Japan, but I don't think he is very iconic. I wouldn't quite call him as popular other Japanese icons such as Godzilla, Ultraman, Astro Boy, Kamen Rider Ichigo and Doraemon.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Goku is a popular character in Japan, but I don't think he is very iconic. I wouldn't quite call him as popular other Japanese icons such as Godzilla, Ultraman, Astro Boy, Kamen Rider Ichigo and Doraemon.
Goku is easily as popular as all of those... you think Ichigo is but not Goku? C'mon...
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Thanos wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Goku is a popular character in Japan, but I don't think he is very iconic. I wouldn't quite call him as popular other Japanese icons such as Godzilla, Ultraman, Astro Boy, Kamen Rider Ichigo and Doraemon.
Goku is easily as popular as all of those... you think Ichigo is but not Goku? C'mon...
He's not referring to the Bleach character but the original Kamen Rider, who is referred to as Kamen Rider Ichigo: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... rodata.png

I will agree that Goku IS just as iconic as the rest of those characters.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:13 pm

I'll give you Godzilla and Ultraman but Goku can compete with Astro Boy, Kamen Rider Ichigo and Doraemon as fore a popularity.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:49 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:I'll give you Godzilla and Ultraman but Goku can compete with Astro Boy, Kamen Rider Ichigo and Doraemon as fore a popularity.
I agree. He probably exceeds Ultraman, but Gojira? Hmm, that's a tough one. Damn close, I'd say.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:43 pm

Guess this topic can be locked now since the trailer has confirmed not to include any Dragon Ball characters, and much less as DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmCVzjGVFy4
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:02 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Guess this topic can be locked now since the trailer has confirmed not to include any Dragon Ball characters, and much less as DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmCVzjGVFy4
Me in that other thread wrote:Not saying I expect Goku to be in it, anyway, but they'll be announcing characters up until a few months before the game comes out. If there were any chance at all he would be in it, then there's still plenty of time.
There's still plenty of time for people to speculate if they want. A lot of the regular roster for the SSB series hasn't even been "confirmed" yet.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Kerunou

Post by Kerunou » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:24 pm

I was just thinking today that Goku or even the likes of Yusuke Urameshi would be an incredibly interesting addition to the roster. Megaman was a surprising addition to tell the truth.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Really? Megaman was like the number one most requested character to be added in. What developer does all the Naruto games? Because if they WERE to add in Goku since he is the face of DBZ the only other anime character I see them adding would be Naruto.

Kerunou

Post by Kerunou » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:30 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Really? Megaman was like the number one most requested character to be added in. What developer does all the Naruto games? Because if they WERE to add in Goku since he is the face of DBZ the only other anime character I see them adding would be Naruto.
Surprising to ME, I should say. I sure as hell wouldn't want him in there. I'd much rather have Goku or even Naruto. Hell, Ultraman would be cool as hell. I'd take Kamen Rider, but I'd want it to be Kabuto.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:36 am

I think a Smash Bros. Shonen Jump cross over would be pretty cool, 15 characters from each side to make for a solid roster.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:02 am

Kerunou wrote:I was just thinking today that Goku or even the likes of Yusuke Urameshi would be an incredibly interesting addition to the roster. Megaman was a surprising addition to tell the truth.
Surprising? Megaman's kind of part of Nintendo's family now, I'm actually surprised that people didn't think of it before they revealed it.

Thankfully, it's not that old fatass Megaman that they used in past games.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:58 am

Pleeeeeeeeetny of people had been theorizing Megaman as an inclusion all the way back to Brawl. The character may have jumped to other platforms, but he is still very strongly associated with Nintendo above and beyond all the others due to his main launch on the NES (and continuing into the SNES), his inclusion in the Captain N TV series (along with a couple other third-party cameos/inclusions like Simon Belmont), and then onward into later generations with all the spin-off games exclusively on Nintendo handhelds.

Anyway, we're basically at a point where this conversation no longer makes any sense what-so-ever. Is Goku a possibility? Theoretically, I... suppose...? It isn't likely, it probably won't happen, and if it ever does, I'm more than happy to open the thread back up and eat some crow.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::