I'm sorry for whoever I offended (+spelling/grammar courses)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

I'm sorry for whoever I offended (+spelling/grammar courses)

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:22 am

This is to anybody I may have offened with my questionable language, spelling and grammar.
I never realised what I said were actually offending people in here.

Also, I have to point out that I'm kind of a "hot-pot".
I'm kind of explosive, and express myself way to harsh sometimes.

About my spelling and grammar, I'm doing my best,
but English is after all, just a language I had to learn at school.
I do speak norwegian and English a lot better.

So VegettoEX, or anyone else, you're right, I need to get better at spelling and grammar.
IAbout me way of expressions, I will be careful to not use offensive or "exploding" language, but if you want me to get better at spelling and grammar, id appriciated to get a link or somewhere or software I can download (more than the spelling check in Word++).

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:34 am

if you want to learn better grammar and spelling look it up have someone who knows English fluently check it over for you and try to help.

Once again though theres nothing wrong with expressing a negative emotion. There IS something wrong with attacking people and/or using epxlatives, it is very simple to express anger effectively, I was quite angry with you for things you said, and I'm telling it to you now, I'm expressing a negative emotion but I'm not attacking or swearing.

And I do forgive you, as I can understand having a foreign language barrier.
-Laserkid

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:00 am

laserkid wrote:if you want to learn better grammar and spelling look it up have someone who knows English fluently check it over for you and try to help.

Once again though theres nothing wrong with expressing a negative emotion. There IS something wrong with attacking people and/or using epxlatives, it is very simple to express anger effectively, I was quite angry with you for things you said, and I'm telling it to you now, I'm expressing a negative emotion but I'm not attacking or swearing.

And I do forgive you, as I can understand having a foreign language barrier.
I don't know anyone in real life that knows English fluently...
Thank you for accept my appolgies.
I really ment no harm, I'm understanding now how important it is to think about what you write, it's not as unsignificant as I used to think.
And when I think about it, my way of saying things have offended people even in real life.
As I said I will try my hardest to change my ways of expression.

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:25 am

Ah all's forgiven if you're going to forgive me in return :) Let's all hope to be friends from now on.

As for lessons, I will get back to you on that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:50 am

:)
Thank you ^_^
Yeah, I forgive you in return.

Just adding something in reply to VegettoEX:
How can I choose my words carefully and express myself like I want to when I dont know a suffisiant number of words.

And about lessons, I DO need that, every sentence i have to stop up to try find another word to use than the norwegian i would use cause i dont know how to translate it.
Plus I've always sucked in spelling, no matter what language.
At least but not last, I've noticed myself that i didnt know what grammar to use at occasions :-/ So i need lessons.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:19 pm

I don't mean to speak for Lord EX here, but there is a difference between bad grammar/spelling because you can't be bothered or are trying to be "cool", and bad grammar/spelling because you aren't speaking your first language. Since we now know that you aren't a native English speaker, people aren't going to be as rough on you. At least, I'm not, if that's any help.

As for improving...in my experience of foreign students who have come to my uni, as well as other message boards I go it, the best way to improve your foreign language skills is simply by talking to people speaking that language. Read people's posts. Write your own posts. Simply doing that will help you. Although you will have to learn to differentiate between people who write well, and people who write badly. But thanks to FuhrerEX, most people here do write quite well.

As some basic pointers: Capitalise the first word of sentences, and proper nouns (names). Use full stops and commas. Break things up into paragraphs. Capitalise "I". Those simple rules help no end.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:52 pm

*nodding* if you need help try running stuff by any oe us, most of us have AiM and/or ICQ (I tend to run ICQ but I have both for instance). I'm sure that we can try to help some. And if you're frustrated with someone, just say so, no need to flower it up with attacks. ^_^

And yes, theres a HUGE diffrence between second language issues and first language crassness/inability to0 grasp ones own language.

Imagine how it would be for you if someone started talking to you in Norwegean and started attacking you, calling you names, and couldn't be bothered with correct grammar, and you didn't even know it was a second language thing? I understand where you came from and all, just hope you understand where we are as well.
-Laserkid

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:51 pm

Good to know that you're being polite and whatever, but this is pretty off-topic. I don't really know of a better place for it, but maybe you could have just sent a forgiveness PM to VegEX, or something. Sure we wouldn't get the message, but... oh, whatever. Do what you want.

You don't have to start a new paragraph after every sentence, you know. Well, it's not that bad of a thing, because it is easy to read... It's still pretty weird, though.

You're fine in my books, at least now.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:10 pm

Zackarotto wrote:I don't really know of a better place for it, but maybe you could have just sent a forgiveness PM to VegEX, or something. Sure we wouldn't get the message, but... oh, whatever. Do what you want.
I don't want any messages of "forgiveness." That accomplishes nothing. I just don't want people to be asses ^^.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:14 pm

Okay, okay. I'm just assuming he really wants to write something. :oops:

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:42 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I just don't want people to be asses ^^.
Move to Canada. :D
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:48 pm

Mattias wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:I just don't want people to be asses ^^.
Move to Canada. :D
No, no my friend, they're here too.

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:15 am

You get them everywhere :D!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:06 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Zackarotto wrote:I don't really know of a better place for it, but maybe you could have just sent a forgiveness PM to VegEX, or something. Sure we wouldn't get the message, but... oh, whatever. Do what you want.
I don't want any messages of "forgiveness." That accomplishes nothing. I just don't want people to be asses ^^.

It was never a message about forgivness,
It's just that i dont like hurting people, even if I've sounded like an ass here.
I'll watch what I say.
Thanks for you offers.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:53 pm

Zackarotto wrote:Good to know that you're being polite and whatever, but this is pretty off-topic. I don't really know of a better place for it, but maybe you could have just sent a forgiveness PM to VegEX, or something. Sure we wouldn't get the message, but... oh, whatever. Do what you want.

You don't have to start a new paragraph after every sentence, you know. Well, it's not that bad of a thing, because it is easy to read... It's still pretty weird, though.

You're fine in my books, at least now.
[sorry for double posting]
Did I use a paragraph in every sentence?
And what is a paragraph? Is it when I use the enter button?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:38 pm

sangofe wrote:And what is a paragraph? Is it when I use the enter button?
Well, yes, you could say that. Normally, we write a set of related sentences together in one paragraph, and then start a new paragraph for talking about something a bit different.

Online, we usually hit enter twice, because it's easier to see paragraph distinctions without indenting.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:07 am

Move to Canada.
Wouldn't that make it worse though?