"Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (incl. "DB Minus")

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

hleV
Banned

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion thread (DB–9)

Post by hleV » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:01 am

pappy wrote:Sorry to everyone who lives in an area without an official release
So scanlations will do.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:50 am

hleV wrote:So scanlations will do.
I think you're missing the point.

Yes, many countries aren't getting a simultaneous official release. Yes, many people will probably have to resort to scanlations. But that is no reason to come into to the thread to complain about getting said scans or talking about getting said scans. You can do what you like, but like pappy said, "...mum's the word."
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:25 am

I'm not asking for anything. I was referring to VegettoEX's confussion about why would people even talk about scanlations, pointing out that not everyone has such an easy access to the manga.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Where are we supposed to buy the manga?

It doesn't let me install the VIZ Manga app to my phone. Is that the right one? Is it because I'm in Mexico? :cry:
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:44 pm

soulnova wrote:Where are we supposed to buy the manga?

It doesn't let me install the VIZ Manga app to my phone. Is that the right one? Is it because I'm in Mexico? :cry:
Do you own a computer? Just go to the official website: http://shonenjump.viz.com/.You can order a subscription there, or you can buy back-issues from the website so you can read from the first chapter.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:51 pm

theawesomepossum777 wrote:

Do you own a computer? Just go to the official website: http://shonenjump.viz.com/.You can order a subscription there, or you can buy back-issues from the website so you can read from the first chapter.

I click on "Become a Weekly Shonen Jump member today!" and it redirects me back to http://www.viz.com/apps?rd=vm. I click on the computer picture, and it redirects me to the same app page again.

...damn... :(
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:03 pm

soulnova wrote:

I click on "Become a Weekly Shonen Jump member today!" and it redirects me back to http://www.viz.com/apps?rd=vm. I click on the computer picture, and it redirects me to the same app page again.

When I click on the computer image, it brings me to the Viz Manga site. Maybe there you can do it?

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:11 pm

soulnova wrote: I click on "Become a Weekly Shonen Jump member today!" and it redirects me back to http://www.viz.com/apps?rd=vm. I click on the computer picture, and it redirects me to the same app page again.

When I click on the computer image, it brings me to the Viz Manga site. Maybe there you can do it?
It doesn't bring the Viz Manga site for me or my friends, it opens http://www.viz.com/apps?rd=vm again. I just told other people here to help me out and try it. It's the same results from them too, both the web browser and the Android apps are region locked for Mexico. :cry: Viz Manga... you break my heart...

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:54 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Holy Hell. After what I just said, how on Earth are you going on talking about scanlations of this new series? It's released day-and-date in English in tons of countries each Monday for an asininely cheap price packed in with a bunch of other series.
Is there a new rule that we can't talk about scanlations? I'm pretty sure I've seen reviews of Dragon Ball scanlations here comparing them to Viz, and even mention of the group names that released them.

On a side note, if you like the manga and can afford it and want to see more of it, it would be stupid for you not to buy it. When you buy this stuff, it's like casting a vote telling Jump you like this material and want more.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:04 pm

There's a pretty clear difference between acknowledging the existence of scanlations (we don't live in a bubble; we know it happens) and then actively talking about engaging with them and requesting them. THAT there is a rule about ("no bootlegging").
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:46 pm

soulnova wrote:I click on "Become a Weekly Shonen Jump member today!" and it redirects me back to http://www.viz.com/apps?rd=vm. I click on the computer picture, and it redirects me to the same app page again.

Your country, just like mine, is not supported. (The rd part in the link means redirect, and vm means VIZ Media.) It's possible to visit the site through a proxy, but I didn't manage to actually get anything to read from there, possibly because they're using flash or whatever software.

hunterxhunter21
Beyond Newbie

Post by hunterxhunter21 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:46 pm

I don't think you can buy back issues. You can buy single issues, but from what I see only the week they come out. Unless they added this feature in the past few weeks. I forgot to renew my membership and missed he issue with dbz color 1. So unless they changed this, don't wait and think you can buy the issues at a later date.
Dragon Ball Famicon/Super Famicom game scans : HERE

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:28 am

This is the first I've heard of it being available to Australia, I thought it wasn't offered here.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:32 am

They announced the expansion to other countries the issue before Jaco started. (I noted this expansion in my journal on DA. =P)
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:49 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:They announced the expansion to other countries the issue before Jaco started. (I noted this expansion in my journal on DA. =P)
AWESOME.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:46 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:They announced the expansion to other countries the issue before Jaco started. (I noted this expansion in my journal on DA. =P)
Somehow I believe it might have to do with Jaco then? The return of the legend!?

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:02 pm

soulnova wrote:Somehow I believe it might have to do with Jaco then? The return of the legend!?
I very much doubt that. Viz had been talking (and I'm sure working) on expanding to more countries outside North America. The serialization of Jaco was probably just a good incentive and opportunity to offer new readers a new series from a well known author to jump in to and follow.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:45 pm

Yoyocom69 found some really cool (imo) stuff in Chapter 4:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:34 pm

haha to think I've been avoiding this thread for half a week in fear of spoilers, when it was mostly people arguing about scanlations!

Anyway, I loved the city, with it's eclectic mix of characters and architecture. I think this still can fit into the DB world, because this is a prequel, and while most of the technology and architecture looks less "futuristic," you can see some of the more modern DB buildings and stuff just starting to fill the city.

But one thing I noticed -- NO ANIMAL PEOPLE!!

I wonder about this guy that Jaco bumps into, with the W's on his kimono. He looks specifically designed, I wonder if he will return. Or even if he's maybe supposed to be a caricature of someone.

Thanks for the link Chuquita! I missed the Turtle mark at the end... that's pretty cool!

And my final observation! This week's Jaco chapter was so far back in Viz's WSJ issue :( I don't know if they also arrange their titles by popularity like the Japanese Jump, but I hope this doesn't mean Jaco is unpopular!

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:43 pm

There is an anthropomorphic pig near the end, looking from above a wall on the page the mother and baby with sunglasses are.
I notice a lot of characters in the city look similar to Dragon Quest characters.

In Jaco, East City has a Japanese style while in Attack of Saiyans it has a chinese style and in the manga it was rather neutral (not enough of the city was shown).