How restrictive is Shunkan Ido?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

How restrictive is Shunkan Ido?

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:18 am

Does Goku need a ki signature even for short distances? Couldn't he teleport to his house if he was close by and no one was there. Or does he have to have a ki signature even for short distances.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Monkey D Goku
Beyond Newbie

Re: How restrictive is Shunkan Ido?

Post by Monkey D Goku » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:29 am

I would say he always needs to be able to feel a ki signature. I mean every case his been shown to use the technique his always sensing someone or trying to home in onto them.
The other restriction would be how well and far you can sense people.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear Leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering - Yoda

I use to be a adventurer like you,till I took an arrow in the knee - Generic Skyrim Guard

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:26 am

He needs a ki signal. Depending on the power of the ki that might change the distant travel. HOWEVER I honestly think(In my personal canon) that Goku will learn the better version of that skill from The Kai(s)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:22 am

I don't think that he needs a ki signature for short distances. The ki signature is used to pinpoint the location he wants to go, but for short distances, he can use his eyes to do that (as we saw against Super #17 in GT).
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:20 pm

I'd say he always needs a ki signature. That's how he explained it.

That is one way that Shin's teleportation technique is superior.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:10 pm

I'm pretty sure he always needs a ki signature for Instantaneous Movement.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:33 pm

For the manga, it seems like he always needs a ki signature.
After the anime introduced the Shunkan-ido dimension though, it seems like the ki signature just acts as a point of reference to tell him when and where to exit. He could probably go a short distance, within the basic line of sight, without needing a ki to lock on to. But that's not really helpful.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Saiyatonian
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyatonian » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Over long distances, he really needs time to concentrate. As long as he's close to an enemy, he'll be fine in combat.
Is it possible to watch DBZ with epilepsy?

lash
Regular

Post by lash » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:55 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I don't think that he needs a ki signature for short distances. The ki signature is used to pinpoint the location he wants to go, but for short distances, he can use his eyes to do that (as we saw against Super #17 in GT).
Super 17 had ki though.
-Otherwise known as The God of DBG.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:18 am

lash wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I don't think that he needs a ki signature for short distances. The ki signature is used to pinpoint the location he wants to go, but for short distances, he can use his eyes to do that (as we saw against Super #17 in GT).
Super 17 had ki though.
The fuck he did? I thought androids have no ki.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:27 am

TheGmGoken wrote:The fuck he did? I thought androids have no ki.
GT has Trunks sense 17's ki, so...

Anyway, regardless of GT's plotholes, Super 17 does actually have ki. He's half Machine Mutant, which do have ki.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:29 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:The fuck he did? I thought androids have no ki.
GT has Trunks sense 17's ki, so...

Anyway, regardless of GT's plotholes, Super 17 does actually have ki. He's half Machine Mutant, which do have ki.
That was a DBGT plot hole. In the original audio(JPN) he said "His ki feels similar to Android 18's". So that was only used for a plot device. Though where did Machine Mutan have no ki?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:29 am

TheGmGoken wrote:That was a DBGT plot hole. In the original audio(JPN) he said "His ki feels similar to Android 18's". So that was only used for a plot device. Though where did Machine Mutan have no ki?
That's what I just said...

Even as a plot device, it's still a plothole. Regardless, 17 can be sensed in GT. Add that in with Machine Mutants having ki (where did you get me saying they don't?), as noted when the gang senses Rilld, Bebi, etc, and Hellfighter 17 being one; there is no reason for Super 17 to not have ki.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:32 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:For the manga, it seems like he always needs a ki signature.
After the anime introduced the Shunkan-ido dimension though, it seems like the ki signature just acts as a point of reference to tell him when and where to exit. He could probably go a short distance, within the basic line of sight, without needing a ki to lock on to. But that's not really helpful.

Didnt the second Cooler movie show us how it worked, albeit on a more detailed level? If I remember correctly it basically showed Instant Transmission as some sort of faster than light highway.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

some_weirdGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by some_weirdGuy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:21 pm

I imagine it's kinda like running with your eyes closed, you'd lose your bearings if you tried going any long distance. ((potentially veering off course or going in circles or generally just winding up in entirely the wrong place... maybe he can even still run into things, who knows XD)).

Infact, running with your eyes closed may be a very astute way of putting it, as if he's moving faster than light it's reasonable to say light isn't getting to his eyes, meaning he's travelling blind, which explains why he uses ki signatures as a reference.
He puts his fingers to his forehead to help with the locating ki signatures, so actually short distance IT where he doesn't lock onto a signature(if possible) would be indistinguishable from the normal high speed movements anyway, like when he did the IT kamehameha without putting them to his forehead.
Like collab writing and enjoy the universe of Dragonball? Check out World of Dragonball: Souls