"Complete Vegeta Saga" in Sept (w/ box art)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WebScud

Post by WebScud » Tue May 30, 2006 11:04 am

I haven't really been active in the Dragon Ball Z community since planetnamek.com and Mr. Popo were around. I pretty much stopped being hardcore when the Namek saga ended that first time and we were greeted with reruns the next afternoon. Yeah, it's been awhile.

Anyway. I was buying uncut VHS tapes here and for a bit and I realized that it was way to expensive for what I was getting. I decided I would just wait for a giant 291 episode boxset. Because it will come out one day. Once TV on DVD sets took off and anime companies started to follow suit you knew that DBZ series would see "complete" release one day. They did boxsets for the other sagas, right? It seems that with anime you loose all the extra features. Fine. That's your bonus for buying the single volumes. You get bonus features. Not to mention you get the discs before the rest of the "cheap" crowd. How you can be mad at FUNimation for reaching to the crowd that has no interest in single volumes is beyond me. I say "good for them."

I'm still waiting for my series boxset though.

Kaze no Mune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaze no Mune » Tue May 30, 2006 11:30 am

Woah, I'm surprised there are anyone who doesn't want the eye-catches. I've been watching the Dragon Ball sets, and I thought they'd be annoying at first, but they turned out to be a nice little distraction during the episodes, rather than an annoyance. Plus, I like having my releases as true to the original Japanese airings as possible.

Oh well, to each his own.

To WebScud: There will likely NEVER be an entire DBZ boxset, unless that kind of thing becomes popular on BluRay or HD-DVD. Your best bet at buying it would be to wait for these new boxsets, assuming they're going to re-release the entire series. At most, if you know where to buy it, it'll cost you around $400-500. It's not too bad, for a 291 episode series.
[b]PSN: Mune-sama[/b]

Add me for some HD Remix or SF4.

WebScud

Post by WebScud » Tue May 30, 2006 1:09 pm

Kaze no Mune wrote:To WebScud: There will likely NEVER be an entire DBZ boxset, unless that kind of thing becomes popular on BluRay or HD-DVD. Your best bet at buying it would be to wait for these new boxsets, assuming they're going to re-release the entire series. At most, if you know where to buy it, it'll cost you around $400-500. It's not too bad, for a 291 episode series.
Sorry, my post wasn't as coherent as I like to make.

I'm sure there will be some sort of 25th (US) Anniversary series set. Compelete with "Ocean Studio Cast Retrospective". ;)

Maybe I will jump on these sets. It is a seal at that price, afterall.

EDIT: My main comment was on the fact that everyone was saying how they felt "ripped off". You get the releases earlier than everyone else, plus DVD extras and kick-ass cover art. Every series gets bundled at some point. You can't honestly say that you were buying the UUE discs without expecting a boxset at some point. Sooner (as with this set) or later it was happening. If I were you, I would be happy that this set is coming out so soon while your UUE DVDs have some value. We're right on the fringe of next-gen movie media. Two years from now and the the Ultimate Extreme Eidtions will have no value at all.
Last edited by WebScud on Tue May 30, 2006 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue May 30, 2006 1:12 pm

WebScud wrote:Maybe I will jump on these sets. It is a seal at that price, afterall.
Really? It's an aquatic mammal? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Well, I guess time will tell what's gonna happen to the DVD releases. I mean, I'm sure you've all seen some kind of variation of a "complete" DB/Z/GT series bootleg on ebay and whatnot. I'm just hoping that there's some kind of cool collage of each of the series like those bootleggers have been trying to pull off.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

WebScud

Post by WebScud » Tue May 30, 2006 1:19 pm

I said what I said. :D
DaemonCorps wrote:[I'm just hoping that there's some kind of cool collage of each of the series like those bootleggers have been trying to pull off.
That would be cool. Do the single release not have that? (As I said, I've been out of the loop for a looooong time.)

FDLink
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FDLink » Tue May 30, 2006 2:17 pm

Namek'jin Ryu wrote: I have become one of the victims who were dumb enough to buy the Vegeta Saga I and II Starter Box Sets, going all the way up to Vol. 09 of the Vegeta Saga II set. However, I figure I'll continue buying the Vegeta Saga II DVD's that are coming out yet, but that might be it. I have all of DragonBall in the DVD Boxed Sets, and all of DragonBall GT, which I'm re-collecting in the Boxed Sets. I have quite a few of the DragonBall Z VHS and DVD's that I started collecting at the end of 1999, and the beginning of 2000. I'm missing maybe two to four Sagas’, but that is it. Now to learn that FUNimation may be releasing all the "Season's" like this, kind of puts a damper on me. I was actually starting to feel good about the fact that I have almost completed this, seeming to be, never ending project, just to find out, if I had waited, I could've got all of it at a much cheaper price.

. . .

As some have speculated, they are saying all of DragonBall Z will be re-released in this format, if that is so, then I will either, one; finish off my original collection, yet buy these as well, or two; sell what I have to eBayers, who will buy things for a ridiculous price at times, and then buy these "Season's". Either way, I feel as if I come out ahead.
All I can say to you (and everyone who collected the old discs) is: SELL SELL SELL all of it as soon as you can. I say that because I believe that once widespread awareness of these impending box sets gets out, the value of your current collection will plummet. Nobody will want to buy tons of expensive discs when cheap box sets are on horizon. And if you're too busy to sell all of it yourself, just drop it all at one of those "I Sold It On eBay" stores.

Like you said, think about all the shelf space you'll save, and considering how many hundreds (perhaps thousands?) of dollars you put into that collection, it would probably be really nice to make a lot of that back.

Good thing I only have, at max, like 6 or 7 discs.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue May 30, 2006 2:58 pm

FDLink wrote:All I can say to you (and everyone who collected the old discs) is: SELL SELL SELL all of it as soon as you can. I say that because I believe that once widespread awareness of these impending box sets gets out, the value of your current collection will plummet.
Agreed. Keep in mind that there are hundreds of buhmillions of fans out there who are still not in the know of this release coming out. Sorry to sound mean, but take advantage of that!

I, myself, don't really have any of the UUEs, but if it's confirmed that there's gonna be a set for the "seasons" after the UUE ones, then I might sell my old singles of the Buu Saga (the only DVD singles I have from the series outside of the movies). Then again, those singles are pretty cheap in the first place, so I could just buy them used off of amazon...

But then again, everything will look so nice and tidy with all of those matching boxed sets (ok, now I'm just letting my speculations take me over :roll:).
Last edited by DaemonCorps on Tue May 30, 2006 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Tue May 30, 2006 2:58 pm

FDLink wrote:All I can say to you (and everyone who collected the old discs) is: SELL SELL SELL all of it as soon as you can.

Like you said, think about all the shelf space you'll save, and considering how many hundreds (perhaps thousands?) of dollars you put into that collection, it would probably be really nice to make a lot of that back.
Part of me wants to sell and the other doesn't. I mean, granted, you save a ton of space, and get quite a bit of money back that we spent if we sell them now, but what I like about some of the older Boxed Sets are the intro's. If I get rid of all my DragonBall Z collection, then buy these "Season's", what if they don't have the same cool intros? Then I will have to go back out and buy the DVD's again. Something I don't want to do.

I know I may sound a little crazy here, but I've actually been looking for Ocean Dub's Saiyan & Namek Boxed Sets because those are the first Saga's I ever watched. Which, truly, I feel got me hooked on DragonBall Z. If FUNimation would've been where I started watching the series, who knows if I would've ever got into it.

Although, I still wish FUNimation would make the DragonBall Z Saga's come out in the DragonBall Saga format. {Sorry, kind of went off-topic there.)

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue May 30, 2006 3:11 pm

WebScud wrote:I said what I said. :D
DaemonCorps wrote:[I'm just hoping that there's some kind of cool collage of each of the series like those bootleggers have been trying to pull off.
That would be cool. Do the single release not have that? (As I said, I've been out of the loop for a looooong time.)
Well, for them old-fangled VHS releases, they had pictures on their spine that would form a bigger picture when all bought. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure there's no sign of a DBZ "collage" (the spine thing was more of a... well... picture) at least in the US releases.
Namek'jin Ryu wrote:Although, I still wish FUNimation would make the DragonBall Z Saga's come out in the DragonBall Saga format. {Sorry, kind of went off-topic there.)
Well, I'm pretty sure we've all speculated this thing to death, so there isn't really anything else to do other than kinda go off topic...

Anyways, kinda connecting to your thought, I hope FUNi does some kind of behind the scenes of the years they've been dubbing the shows. That would be somewhat cool. Either that, or do what the EX crew did in podcast ep #9 where they talked about FUNi's history with DBZ...

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue May 30, 2006 4:34 pm

I was just thinking if they stop the "Ultimate Uncut Special Edition" line, would that include movies 2 and 3? If so, movie 1 would be the only movie under that name and it would just look stupid. :?

As for bumpers...we need them. Somtimes they will animate certain scenes around them, like the first time Trunks goes Super Saiyan against Frezza. He screams and Frezza reacts, then the bumper comes on. When they return to the show they replay what just happened seconds before. without the bumpers it looks really bad. They would have to cut certain parts out just to make it flow.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Tue May 30, 2006 4:42 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I was just thinking if they stop the "Ultimate Uncut Special Edition" line, would that include movies 2 and 3? If so, movie 1 would be the only movie under that name and it would just look stupid. :?
Since these boxsets are only for episodes, I think they'll still put out those two movies (maybe they'll announce the release dates for those movies this summer).
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue May 30, 2006 8:24 pm

I think being there are more episodes on these disc's, they don't have room for the Spanish track. Right Stuf says: Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles.

DevilsAlwaysCry
Beyond Newbie

Post by DevilsAlwaysCry » Tue May 30, 2006 8:32 pm

I just dont know why FUNImation hasn't announced this on their own site or on their DBZ website. I am not saying that this is a fake, but it just seems odd that we first heard this information on a online anime store. Even though I am upset on how much money i have spent on the 60 plus DVD's i have of DBZ, I am glad they are doing this box set. I just hope that they have the true Japanese translation on the Ginyu through Trunks saga episodes on the DVDs now instead of the ones found on the early DBZ DVD's.

WebScud

Post by WebScud » Tue May 30, 2006 8:50 pm

DevilsAlwaysCry wrote:I just dont know why FUNImation hasn't announced this on their own site or on their DBZ website. I am not saying that this is a fake, but it just seems odd that we first heard this information on a online anime store. Even though I am upset on how much money i have spent on the 60 plus DVD's i have of DBZ, I am glad they are doing this box set. I just hope that they have the true Japanese translation on the Ginyu through Trunks saga episodes on the DVDs now instead of the ones found on the early DBZ DVD's.
Retailers leak stuff all the time. All. The. Time.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Tue May 30, 2006 9:23 pm

On top of that, from what I can gather with the AnimeBoston panel, it's one of the major announcements for their next con, or during the summer, or what have you. While we know of this boxset, this will give us a better idea as to what is happening (is it just saiyan/vegeta and namek? is it all of it? What?)

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Wed May 31, 2006 3:28 pm

I don't have much time to go around looking for these details, so I'll just ask the following questions and hopefully someone will have an answer or two:

1. Does anyone know where I would be able to purchase the Saiyan/Namek Boxed Sets that Pioneer/Kidmark released? Preferably DVD, but will buy VHS if necessary. (Everywhere I check they seem to be sold out.)

2. What would my retail value be, if I put all of my DragonBall Z DVD's/VHS's up on eBay? Would it be cheaper to sell it all as a big bundle, or separately? (Let’s just say I own all but the Cell Games Saga and go from there.)
Blitzen wrote:On top of that, from what I can gather with the AnimeBoston panel, it's one of the major announcements for their next con, or during the summer, or what have you. While we know of this boxset, this will give us a better idea as to what is happening (is it just saiyan/vegeta and namek? is it all of it? What?)
So then, does this mean they'll be releasing all of DragonBall Z in this "Season" format? If so, I may be a little hesitant to get it, for who knows if they'll go and then re-re-re-release DragonBall Z in the same format they did DragonBall. This is what I am waiting for.

I know some of you may be like, "What is the point in re-re-re-releasing?" Well, we could all say the same thing for these "Season's", seeing as most of DragonBall Z has been released in Boxed Sets, only this time they're cheaper. Thus, by going the DragonBall route would make them even $10 cheaper, seeing as all the DragonBall Saga's went for were $39.95.

To answer your question, Blitzen, Season One will go through all of the Saiyan/Vegeta Arc, and lead into the Namek Arc.

MajinMetroid
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinMetroid » Wed May 31, 2006 5:10 pm

Re-releasing has started to become a trend in DVD box sets. Buffy and Friends have both been recently re-released in cheaper, slimmer sets. At Walmart right now, you can get two seasons of Buffy for just $40. Pretty intense.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed May 31, 2006 5:22 pm

Well, I'd say that if you have the UUE singles, you should sell those ASAP.

However, if you have any of the other DBZ DVD singles, then you should just wait it out and hold on to those DVDs, since none of us really know if FUNi's gonna release those in the condensed "season" format yet.

All we know so far is that the Vegeta Saga (Parts 1 and 2) are gonna be released together in one set for $50 retail and it would make sense that the Namek Saga will be released in this format as well, since those episodes were part of the UUE redub.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Wed May 31, 2006 7:42 pm

Namek'jin Ryu wrote: 1. Does anyone know where I would be able to purchase the Saiyan/Namek Boxed Sets that Pioneer/Kidmark released? Preferably DVD, but will buy VHS if necessary. (Everywhere I check they seem to be sold out.)
Ebay. Since Pioneer lost the distribution rights to their parts of Z (Kidmark were never ever involved with Z), they couldn't print any more discs. As such no where actually stocks them, or atleast it'd be hard to find a place that does. Madman Entertainment (Region 4, Pal) only recently stopped printing their Saiyan/Namek discs, so you could try Australian retailers, but it'd still be expensive.
2. What would my resale value be, if I put all of my DragonBall Z DVD's/VHS's up on eBay? Would it be cheaper to sell it all as a big bundle, or separately? (Let’s just say I own all but the Cell Games Saga and go from there.)
Honestly, not much. And even less once plans for the boxsets become official (FUNimation said they were going to repackage all of DBZ to be more convinient for retailers and consumers, so it's a fairly good indication that they are going to re-release everything). Anime on DVD doesn't have good resale value (unless it's something like LE versions of Bebop or what have you), especially DBZ. Assigning a value to something on ebay, a fixed one, is a bad idea because you have no idea who'll bid on it, who'll want to buy it, etc.

But to give you a rough guess, between $1-5 per DVD. That's your odds.
So then, does this mean they'll be releasing all of DragonBall Z in this "Season" format? If so, I may be a little hesitant to get it, for who knows if they'll go and then re-re-re-release DragonBall Z in the same format they did DragonBall. This is what I am waiting for.
Then you might have to wait another four years or something silly, because you can't honestly tell. Doing another, even less space-effective release of DBZ after doing a shelf-space saving, cheap release wouldn't make any sense. The US Anime market is in a downspiral due to so many non-cost effective DVDs and what have you competing over dwindling shelfspace in stores, and having 90 volumes of DBZ simply isn't going to help. Speculate all you want, but the chances of Dragonball-style re-re-release are next to none.
I know some of you may be like, "What is the point in re-re-re-releasing?" Well, we could all say the same thing for these "Season's", seeing as most of DragonBall Z has been released in Boxed Sets, only this time they're cheaper. Thus, by going the DragonBall route would make them even $10 cheaper, seeing as all the DragonBall Saga's went for were $39.95.
But Dragonball's sets contain less episodes, hence why they're cheaper. That and DBZ has more of a mainstream crossover appeal, so doing larger sets like this encourages sales among an audience who they actually want to get purchases from (the casual buyer, on top of the hardcore 'otaku' market). You've also got to realise the current boxsets still contain 3 ep discs, look as ugly as sin, are often large, take up a lot of space, and well.. see my previous points.
To answer your question, Blitzen, Season One will go through all of the Saiyan/Vegeta Arc, and lead into the Namek Arc.
I was actually hypothetically questioning as to what FUNimation would announce. As of this moment we, officially, have absolutely no clue what is beyond the Vegeta set. We have a lot of speculation (which I've noticed after a while, on this board, is then taken as gospel), but no official word. It may very well be true we only have vegeta, and then namek. We might only get Vegeta, based on poor sales it might recieve, so FUNimation are just 'testing' it. We might get the entire thing, the point is we don't know until FUNimation make an announcement or press release or what have you. Us knowing about Vegeta Saga is a complete fluke.

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Wed May 31, 2006 8:48 pm

Thanks for all the information Blitzen.

Guess we'll just have to wait everything out and see what FUNimation decides to do.