Does it bother you at times when people disregard the anime?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Does it bother you at times when people disregard the anime?

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:15 am

Okay I fully understand the manga is the original source and is by far the most accurate thing to use in debates. I know the anime at times can be very contradicting. By why should we just ignore everything that happens in the anime that didn't happen in the manga? I don't think everything that happens only in the anime is filler. Sometimes I think it's just extending or padding. Anyways. For example. Goku ALMOST falling into Hell. I don't mind it. Don't see what's the big deal. Gives us a nice gag and not just Goku running. But since it wasn't in the manga we have to disregard it. Another example is the wait for the Cell games. I don't see why we have to disregard most of that filler. It shows the Z fighters being more peaceful and Goku in normal clothes.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Does it bother you at times when people disregard the an

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:59 am

It's the opposite for me, actually. You either accept the whole anime (excluding movies), or nothing from it IMO.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:04 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:It's the opposite for me, actually. You either accept the whole anime (excluding movies), or nothing from it IMO.
Well then... :lol: . I chose to take some parts of the anime.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:58 am

TheGmGoken wrote:I don't think everything that happens only in the anime is filler. Sometimes I think it's just extending or padding.
That is literally the same thing.

As for the topic, ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. No.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:12 am

No, because the anime is just an adaption by other people. Therefore, it makes perfect sense to disregard all changes done by the anime.

hunterxhunter21
Beyond Newbie

Post by hunterxhunter21 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:59 am

As a fan of only the manga, I disregard anything in the anime and movies. I've only seen part of the anime and a few movies. I've tried watching the anime. I've watched the season sets, the Dragon Boxes, and Kai. Both English and Japanese. Can't really get into it. I don't care to try to watch what I haven't seen. My personal cannon is manga. If others want to count filler or the movies in their cannon fine. Just don't tell me I'm wrong or less of a fan and I won't hound you for not enjoy the manga or counting filler in your cannon.
Dragon Ball Famicon/Super Famicom game scans : HERE

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:12 am

I think everything is canon from a multiverse perspective, so I personally don't disregard it. I, however, do see why people disregard it so it's not annoying to me at all.
Last edited by TheMightyOzaru on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:12 am

I like using the anime only if it's stated by the topic creator. Other wise, we should mainly stick with the manga for debates. The fillers in the anime makes things into a total mess sometimes.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:08 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:I thing everything is canon from a multiverse perspective
If everything is canon, then there's no canon at all. Something can only be canon if there's something that isn't canon.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:18 am

rereboy wrote:
If everything is canon, then there's no canon at all. Something can only be canon if there's something that isn't canon.
There can exist a canon if everything is not part of the same timeline. Toriyama himself said that he views the stuff he didn't create as AU stories. If there's effort to try and place things in different timelines or universes, I would say a canon exists.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:22 pm

Rocketman wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:I don't think everything that happens only in the anime is filler. Sometimes I think it's just extending or padding.
That is literally the same thing.

As for the topic, ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. No.
Not really. Padding or extending would be an extra 2 -3 seconds or so. Such sd GHohan turning SSJ2 with the bird and stuff. I would't call filler. So it'a really not the same thing. Now Goku vs Freeza was mostly filler

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:43 pm

The bird is filler.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:47 pm

hleV wrote:The bird is filler.
Okay no. I can't really accept that. Isn't filler in DB's case used to not catch up to the manga hence why we got random cut away? I really doubt the bird was used for that reason and was there for emotion affect. The scene wasn't that much longer than the manga. Barely longer infact. I see it more or less as padding as of filler. Now Gohan going SSJ2 in the next episode was filler.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:19 pm

It doesn't bother me at all. The anime has a lot of inconsistencies, and in my opinion, it's better to go by the manga.
Last edited by DoomieDoomie911 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:25 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:It doesn't bother me at all. The anime has a lot of inconsistincies, and in my opinion, it's better to go by the manga.
Damn most likely should have worded it better. I should say the anime is disregarded 100%. By all means the manga is the best option. But some thhings in the anime should't be just left out complete. Even though a lot of it is just Toei mistakes.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:12 pm

hleV wrote:The bird is filler.
I thought everybody had heard.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:37 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
rereboy wrote:
There can exist a canon if everything is not part of the same timeline. Toriyama himself said that he views the stuff he didn't create as AU stories. If there's effort to try and place things in different timelines or universes, I would say a canon exists.
Canon is basically a way of saying "this is what is real". If everything is part of a big multiverse that has multiple timelines and universes, then everything is as real as the main universe.

A simple example: Future Trunks' timeline is as canon as the main timeline, because its, without a doubt, as real as the main timeline. Talking about canon here doesn't even make sense because there isn't anything that is not canon. So, if you assume that everything exists in other universes and timelines like Trunks' timeline, then they will as real as well.

Something non-canon means that it doesn't really exist or is real.

Shineman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shineman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:37 pm

It doesn't really bother me per-say, if one does not put into the account of putting anime within their arguments. For my perspective of the case, when a series, such as Dragon Ball has no define canon, I just used all media that fits within the timeline, unless stated otherwise; kind of like Digimon (although it's canon is completely differs than that of Dragon Ball). For example, I considered the manga, anime (meaning fillers included), few movies and GT to be part of the Official Dragon Ball Timeline/History. Noticed that I haven't mention canon, because there is no "canon". The term canon is often dispute within the Dragon Ball community and will always have disagreements from many sides, thus turning into an ugly debate because no one can't seem to agree on the definition of canon.

@rereboy

Canon is a series of events that has been considered "part of the timeline/history" by the original creator(s)/Rights Holders. It does not necessarily means "this is real"; In other words, if Bird Studios/Toei/Toriyama were to considered Battle of Gods "canon", then it wouldn't mean that "this is real" but rather, it's part of the official history of the series. If they were to say it's non-canon, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but it just rather not part of the history of the series, and rather a "alternate story" of Dragon Ball.

In the end, disregarding this and disregarding that can be a handful when it comes to Dragon Ball, because there is no defined canon. Of course, we get statements throw around here and there; whereas Toriyama stated that movies are like alternate timeline (someone correct me on this), GT is a side-story, Battle of Gods takes place before Oob and GT [Funny how they mention GT], but after Boo. Then we have guides such as Daizenshuu and GT Perfect files, then we have some secondary materials of the series here and there. Often creates a clusterfuck of such case. However, I think that people should leave canon off of the table, because it's clear as day that some has a good understanding of what's canon means because there are so many disagreements. Hell, as I'm typing this up, I probably don't think I have knowledge of what canon actually means! :lol:
"You, your family, everyone, will die. Over and over. Mountains of broken bodies, beneath the wheel." - Lich (Crossover, Adventure Time Season 7, episode 23)

I run a general discussion site: https://cosmiccitycrews.com/index.php

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:22 pm

Depends. I dont like when people call Grand Kai non canon. I mean hes mentioned in the manga and even in the anime I believe Toriyama himself suggested putting Grand Kai in the anime.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:24 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Depends. I dont like when people call Grand Kai non canon. I mean hes mentioned in the manga and even in the anime I believe Toriyama himself suggested putting Grand Kai in the anime.
Kinda like how he suggested Krillin and Yajoribe has the same Voice actor. Even though one was written on paper and the other is your theory. Grand Kai and Other World tournament(Remove the hell scenes) should be okay to debate to be honest.