How open are you with your fandom?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How open are you with your fandom?

Post by Big Momma » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:46 pm

I can't vouch for other countries, but I think DBZ is a lot more acceptable in American than most would think, in terms of accessories/clothing. I have a few DBZ shirts, it's not uncommon for me to get compliments from random strangers whenever I wear them.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:44 pm

My fandom and I are very open. I'm allowed to see other fandoms. Sometimes we get a mix-in going.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

doomydoomydoom
Beyond Newbie
Location: Meditating in front of a waterfall, listening to Gohan and his dragon's whistling New Wave crap...

Post by doomydoomydoom » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:01 am

Trololol. Perhaps you and your DBZ fandom would like to meet me and my jazz fusion fandom. We'd make a freaky time of it I bet.

Unfortunately I have no DBZ...ugh, I don't want to use either the words "merch" or "swag" because I HATE THEM but they're the only ones that fit I suppose...to show off, but if anybody notices my nearly-complete collection of both DB and Z (Goku has no face, missing Dragon Box 2...sadface.jpg.) sitting on the headboard-shelf above my bed, I would be more than happy to point out, "Yes, I love Dragon Ball Z." The whole "I only watch the Japanese version" thing would be an awkward hampering factor towards discussing said fandom however.
Auric Goldfinger wrote:
James Bond wrote:Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
I tought dat when I beat dis monkee, I was goin to da Urf, but it caused me a trouble. WE ARE DA ONE WHO WILL CAUSE DA TROUBLE. But if I don't eat rice, da powah won't come. So DON'T SAY SUCH A SILLY TING! OHKAY? And let that child alone.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:08 am

I have some pretty old DB T-shirts that are at this point really freaking tight! (time to hit the gym!)
Lol, have the time on facebook my profile pic is db related, right now it's just Luffy.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:27 am

I'm fairly open with my fandom. I have copious amounts of Dbz related clothing :lol: .
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:32 am

I'm fairly open about my fandom online, but I rarely get a chance to discuss it in real life due to most of my friends and colleagues not being fans of it. It's exceptionally rare I get to open up about my fandom in the real world.Which is why I joined this site. :)

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:29 am

Pretty open with it, never really hid any of my nerdy fandoms even throughout school. Plus, I tend to be open and honest naturally. Actually I got to know a few people from it, Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, (Insert anime title here). I also had a that one blue shirt from way back then with Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Trunks and Gohan on the shirt with the Kanji for Goku and Gohan and the katakana for the rest. I also have that Orange shirt made to look a little like Goku's dogi. By having the Kame and Kaioh Kanji (well sort of for Kaioh) on it. I would also make drawings of Dragon Ball a lot during school. So, people definitely knew I was a fan, haha!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:01 am

I don't hide things I like, I have for example Justice League and other DC Comics T-shirts and when you visit my home, there are framed posters and merchandise everywhere, so I'm open a lot.
But I don't annoy people with it in discussions.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:09 am

I don't really have any DBZ memorabilia, nor do I have any friends in real life (presently living around me) that I can nerd out to about it. Most of my actual anime-liking friends are far more flavor-of-the-week.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

hunterxhunter21
Beyond Newbie

Post by hunterxhunter21 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:52 pm

I have a 4 star dragon ball tattoo on my leg. So it's always out there.
Dragon Ball Famicon/Super Famicom game scans : HERE

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:58 pm

I don't hide my fandom at all: I roll around college with a Goku backpack and I watch DB on my laptop during my lunch every day. I also sometimes cosplay at the local mall. I don't try to shove my fandom down people's throats, though; I only talk about it when someone brings it up in conversation. Sometimes I'll suggest that a non-fan give the series a try and I strongly suggest the Japanese version, but regardless of what language they watch it in, I'm just happy that they're enjoying themselves.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

shreddinghead
Not-So-Newbie

Post by shreddinghead » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:58 pm

I wear my DBZ t-shirts casually, and talk entusiastically about my DB/DBZ dvds and mangas if the subject is relevant in a discussion about sparetime activities and what interests me. I would say i'm open about it, but i don't mainly talk about my nerdy hobbies when i'm socialize with others who do not share the same interest in the topic.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:30 am

When I was younger DBZ was not the cool thing after the initial run was over. But now the 90s nostalgia fad is going, everybody loves when someone else brings up DBZ. I am not kidding. Everyone I talk to, and very different people, love Dragon Ball. Nostalgia is powerful.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:48 am

I don't draw attention to it, but I don't hide it either. It comes up a bit when I talk to my good friends, though.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:54 am

"Let me tell you about Dragonball!"

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:05 am

I'm pretty open, but I don't talk DBZ 24-7. Most people I know are aware that I am a fan, especially since my gym nickname is Dragonballz. A while back I wore a DBZ t-shirt to boxing practice and the gym owner started calling that. It stuck.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:51 am

I'm Portuguese. The show had such impact there were times my friends (and they aren't the biggest DB fans) started singing GT's opening during a class :lol:
I used to be less open about it but the older I get the less I care about what others think (and in University there are far more anime fans) :P
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 am

I'm totally open to it, if anyone ever talks about it. But everyone I know, knows I'm a dragonball fan. I'm not going to pretend I don't like it if anything.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm

I haven't really spoken much about Dragon Ball with anyone IRL in quite a good number years, outside of maybe two or three people. Neither the opportunity nor the inclination has really presented itself. The only things related to it that adorn my home (apart from things on my shelves like DVDs, manga, VHS tapes, and video games) are a few wall scrolls that I've had for decades that still hang in my room and two tiny little figurines of Kuririn and Kiwi that sit atop my computer. I don't think I've owned something like a Dragon Ball shirt since maybe 2002/2003.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:25 pm

I have to say it's pretty sad that people feel they have to hide things like being a fan of Dragonball from the rest of humanity! I can understand why some people do, though. I've received much abuse myself about being a DBZ fan, even recently in fact. Just got to try to not let it bother you.