Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-Ray (Updated 10

Post by Kendamu » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:48 pm

I am interested in hearing the cleaned up Japanese audio. I mean, I know it'll still be mono but it'll be neat to hear it.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Kendamu wrote:I am interested in hearing the cleaned up Japanese audio. I mean, I know it'll still be mono but it'll be neat to hear it.
If it turns out really nice, I know I'm going to lose my life remuxing the audio with my Dragon Boxes. Can't be having great audio lost on 16:9 footage.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Kendamu wrote:I am interested in hearing the cleaned up Japanese audio. I mean, I know it'll still be mono but it'll be neat to hear it.
This too interests me. I'm holding on getting Namek on any other release until I hear how season 1 goes (and probably season 2).

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:17 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:
This too interests me. I'm holding on getting Namek on any other release until I hear how season 1 goes (and probably season 2).
You can only get so far if the source is the optical track. I strongly doubt the "cleaning up" will really improve fidelity, especially since we have the original broadcast to compare it with.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:47 am

Yea I'm always interested In hearing the Japanese audio of any release here in the states. They can say it's cleaned up but I don't expect much of a difference from prior releases. The picture quality will be better than the season sets, that's basically guaranteed.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:13 am

Fulicer wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:
You can only get so far if the source is the optical track. I strongly doubt the "cleaning up" will really improve fidelity, especially since we have the original broadcast to compare it with.

Thats true. As much as i'd like original broadcast audio. I dont think we'll see an official release soon..if ever. Next best is dbox. I have to decide if i want to gt the season sets for the subtitles and get the Japanese singles for namek. Depends on how lazy I am. :lol:

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:15 am

If the quality of the Japanese audio has been touched up, and somehow manages to exceed the Dragon Box audio, I'd say that might just be worth a purchase of these sets.

It ain't gonna happen... :twisted:
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:19 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Thats true. As much as i'd like original broadcast audio. I dont think we'll see an official release soon..if ever. Next best is dbox. I have to decide if i want to gt the season sets for the subtitles and get the Japanese singles for namek. Depends on how lazy I am. :lol:
Also, someone mentioned "it'll still be mono" again. Stereo has some nice effects...but just because it's mono doesn't mean that it will sound like garbage generally speaking. There are many movies and shows that were mixed in mono and sound crisp and clean. Channel count != audio fidelity, in case I am interpreting his post correctly.

For now, I'm just going to stream episodes off of daisuki.net. The only way to watch Dragon Box-quality episodes online legally. Not going to hold my breath on this release.

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:29 am

On a bigger note, why would they care for the Japanese track if they're releasing this in 16x9? This only makes this release even more confusing as who it's marketed towards.

Highly doubt their mass market purchases even care about the Japanese track.

Don't even care it's 16x9 at this point, what I do care about is now that they don't have to worry about "those batch of episodes" which probably is a HUGE chunk of the series they could easily continue the restoration process the same way they have been for a fortune less.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:33 am

The Japanese audio track is obligatory for most uncut releases. However, it'll also be the best looking release of Z (not counting Kai) on the market for anyone that missed the Dragon Boxes.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:39 am

KingofWisdom wrote:The Japanese audio track is obligatory for most uncut releases. However, it'll also be the best looking release of Z (not counting Kai) on the market for anyone that missed the Dragon Boxes.
In my opinion these will look better than Kai as I really didn't dig the soft dvnr look... And I thought the Levels were better in most cases than the Dragon Boxes and if the quality stays the same I'm okay with it just wished they tried to get better masters for batch that was well crap in their eyes to fix.

This is something neat I found, it's a color comparison of the JP and US dboxes, Kai, and the level sets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVQYcCtoGGA

The one gripe I had with the levels was they felt a bit dark but kai and the Dragon boxes were too bright, if these new sets could find a middle ground but don't go crazy and use frame by frame layer color correction (think photoshop in this case) instead of the automated process in 2007 I think it could work as long as they're not saturating and over brightening it could look neat.
Last edited by Daimo-Rukiri on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:40 am

Are we sure that the 16/9 is not a matted 4.3? For example many websites such as Amazon list the Yu Yu Blu-rays as widescreen when they are still 4.3 but the Blu-rays have the black pillars encoded to the video so technically it is a 16/9 encode.

Example http://www.amazon.com/Yu-Hakusho-Season ... yu+hakusho
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:48 am

TheMajinRedComet wrote:Are we sure that the 16/9 is not a matted 4.3? For example many websites such as Amazon list the Yu Yu Blu-rays as widescreen when they are still 4.3 but the Blu-rays have the black pillars encoded to the video so technically it is a 16/9 encode.

When the Yu Yu sets were coming out I was like, oh for the love of.... "widescreen" I thought they were doing their old tricks again but when ripped it's ripped in HD but the bars are part of the image so it IS possible that funimation will release it the same way as the Yuyu sets.

I even double checked, it comes up with black bars while the level sets do not unless I go full screen.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:31 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:When the Yu Yu sets were coming out I was like, oh for the love of.... "widescreen" I thought they were doing their old tricks again but when ripped it's ripped in HD but the bars are part of the image so it IS possible that funimation will release it the same way as the Yuyu sets.

I even double checked, it comes up with black bars while the level sets do not unless I go full screen.
In the words of the Ghostbusters: We're ready to believe you!

In my own words: Your computer's video player is clearly set wrong.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:49 am

TheMajinRedComet wrote:Are we sure that the 16/9 is not a matted 4.3? For example many websites such as Amazon list the Yu Yu Blu-rays as widescreen when they are still 4.3 but the Blu-rays have the black pillars encoded to the video so technically it is a 16/9 encode.

The description on the FUNimation listing says:

"And finally, our elite team of super-geniuses undertook a precise shot-by-shot reframing of the entire series to create a modern HD widescreen presentation of this legendary fan favorite. It’s time to experience Dragon Ball Z like you’ve never experienced it before!"

Nothing about that says "4:3" to me at all. :?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:21 am

Nothing says "elite team of super geniuses" quite like cropping a 4:3 show for a 16:9 release.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

jeisurii

Post by jeisurii » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:31 am

penguintruth wrote:Nothing says "elite team of super geniuses" quite like cropping a 4:3 show for a 16:9 release.
:D :clap: NIIIICE.
j3

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:49 am

penguintruth wrote:Nothing says "elite team of super geniuses" quite like cropping a 4:3 show for a 16:9 release.
To a fan, no.

To someone in marketing aiming this at the audience that bought the orange brick en masse, absolutely.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:52 am

There is absolutely no possibility to "clean up" optical audio track, mostly because the information we need does not exist in this source. To get better audio we need:

1. Original tape masters (they do not exist anymore)
2. New mix (voice-only tapes do not exist anymore)
3. Original broadcast audio

Ripping everything, synchronising it with video - too much work. I highly doubt that they will attempt to get better source of audio. Masters for the movies "officially" existed and they didn't use them.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:54 am

It does actually, when you consider how well the Orange Bricks sold, and still sell. It takes a very intelligent person to come up with such a horrible concept, and then market it so, so well. Meanwhile, their best effort failed miserably. So, yeah, this actually is genius.