Fanmanga - another DBAF

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

hulkty
Banned

Re: Fanmanga - another DBAF

Post by hulkty » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:59 pm

Even if he's tracing some, so what? It's called "editing" in this case because he has changed the design. He really only traces or refs the poses alone...
Same way I make my SSj4 fan arts on DA.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:15 am

Tracing can be very lazy. It's okay to trance for minor things since I used tracing for my art classes before to draw mountains and buildings from photos. References is okay to use since everyone uses references. Copy & paste everything comes off as cheap and lazy. The art may not be a original, but I do like the story. I mean for once Goku is not the main character.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:18 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Tracing can be very lazy. It's okay to trance for minor things since I used tracing for my art classes before to draw mountains and buildings from photos. References is okay to use since everyone uses references. Copy & paste everything comes off as cheap and lazy. The art may not be a original, but I do like the story. I mean for once Goku is not the main character.
For once? Most fanfics don't have Goku as a main character..........

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:19 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Tracing can be very lazy. It's okay to trance for minor things since I used tracing for my art classes before to draw mountains and buildings from photos. References is okay to use since everyone uses references. Copy & paste everything comes off as cheap and lazy. The art may not be a original, but I do like the story. I mean for once Goku is not the main character.
Exactly. Its not Goku worship. We know in Toyble's doujin, Goku returns, goes SSJ5, and stomps Xicor. In this, Goku is still out cold at the lookout. He hasent fought. Its been everyone else. Plus even if hes tracing, he has his own spin on the artstyle.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:23 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:
Exactly. Its not Goku worship. We know in Toyble's doujin, Goku returns, goes SSJ5, and stomps Xicor. In this, Goku is still out cold at the lookout. He hasent fought. Its been everyone else. Plus even if hes tracing, he has his own spin on the artstyle.
What Goku worship? Most fanfics don't even have Goku as a main character. Some of them don't even reference Goku. I mean...damn near 90% of fanfics don't have Goku as a main character. So I don't see what's the big deal of Young's fanmanga not having Goku as a main character. Nothing unheard of and nothing not seen before.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:35 am

There are plenty of fanfics that have Goku has the main character, far more than just 10%. Especially for sequel stories.

But I believe they're talking about in comparison the official product, particularly GT.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:49 am

Most fan fictions I read over the past decade has Goku has the main character and rehash old ideas. Most AF fan fictions always use Xicor has the main villain and has new SSj forms that go up to SSj10. I think 6 should be the limit since the number 6 is used the number to complete a line up. I would have SSj6 be a form so powerful that no one has used it since it's so dangerous. Just use SSj-SSj4 and use SSj5 rarely.
She/Her

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:39 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Most fan fictions I read over the past decade has Goku has the main character and rehash old ideas. Most AF fan fictions always use Xicor has the main villain and has new SSj forms that go up to SSj10. I think 6 should be the limit since the number 6 is used the number to complete a line up. I would have SSj6 be a form so powerful that no one has used it since it's so dangerous. Just use SSj-SSj4 and use SSj5 rarely.
And you just described my SSJ6 in a nutshell.
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Hisham

Post by Hisham » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:16 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
rereboy wrote:Considering how awful Naruto has become, maybe its a good thing that its more like Dragon Ball.
:lolno: . Naruto is actually pretty good right now.
When the most powerful attack is the Talk-no-jutsu, the series has gone downhill.
Talk-no-jutsu :P. Now that's funny :P!

But I actually think it's good atm. Although it will never be as good as DB(I can't get me enough kamehameha's!) in my eyes, even though it's supposedly the successor.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:28 pm

Naruto is at one of its best parts at the point IMO, even though Naruto's Talk no Jutsu is so fucking annoying when it happens.

As for the fights not being unique, blame Toriyama for not giving Vegeta, Gohan, Goten, and Trunks any unique technique. All they can do is throw punches, kicks, ki blasts, and transform. But I still like the fights.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hisham

Post by Hisham » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:56 pm

I though Talk-no-jutsu was something you guys made up now. I went ahead and googled it.
http://konohalibrary.wikia.com/wiki/Talk_No_Jutsu :P
Naruto's got plenty of jutsu's I wasn't aware of!
Flashback no Jutsu
Book no Jutsu
Brofist no Jutsu
Punch No Jutsu

As for diversity in attacks in DB, I'm pretty sure all those mentioned have their own unique techniques?(!)
Vegeta has several. Galic Gun, Final Flash, Big Bang Attack, Final Shine and several others I wont bother to write.

Gohan; masenko(comes in several sizes...), masendan and obviously the family technique the kamehameha.

Trunks has among others the big tree cannon(wtf) and burning attack.

The only technique I can think of that Goten used is the Kamehameha but he was portrayed as the non training type.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:10 pm

Hisham wrote:Vegeta has several. Galic Gun, Final Flash, Big Bang Attack, Final Shine and several others I wont bother to write.

Gohan; masenko(comes in several sizes...), masendan and obviously the family technique the kamehameha.

Trunks has among others the big tree cannon(wtf) and burning attack.

The only technique I can think of that Goten used is the Kamehameha but he was portrayed as the non training type.
All those techniques are extremely similar with each other, and they are basic ki blasts that vary in amplification. Unique techniques in the series are Kaio-ken, Shunkan Ido, Genki Dama, Kienzan, Kikoho, Sokidan, Makankosappo, Ki Saber, Super Ghost Kamikaze Attack, Mafuuba, etc... these are the unique techniques.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hisham

Post by Hisham » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:05 pm

Hmm I see.

How does this sound. Some of the characters may not have their own unique techniques like the ones you mentioned, but they have their own characteristics. Can that not be understood as them having their own "unique technique"? Or at the very least an own way of behaving which we automatically, in our minds,connect with each respective character? Take Vegeta for instance. Arrogance and fighting intelligence. I won't speak for you guys but that's the feel and understanding I get when YJ portrays Vegeta in his dojinshi. Or am I just reading to much into it?

Also, I agree about the tracing. It does get annoying at times. Specially when he does it so much. It gives a feel of lack of originality and creativeness. Although the plot is interesting and good.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:49 pm

There are plenty of fanfics that have Goku has the main character, far more than just 10%. Especially for sequel stories.
It was an exaggeration.
Most fan fictions I read over the past decade has Goku has the main character and rehash old ideas. Most AF fan fictions always use Xicor has the main villain and has new SSj forms that go up to SSj10.

True that most AF style fanfiction has Goku as a main character. But I'm talking about all fanfiction not just Fan-manga or typed Fanfics. I once had SSJ100 in an fanficiton. Do people know not to shove transformations to death. I expect up to 6 or 7 as it depends on how you make SSJ4. A start of a new transformation brand(Up to SSj6) or SSj4 is like base(Up to SSj7)

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:07 pm

Two more preview pages from Young Jijii.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Even though it's the same image from the Japanese Budokai 2 cover, it still looks awesome.
She/Her

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:48 pm

Delete this post!
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:55 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:How much stronger is Rigor is compare to Super Yi Xing Long? I remember Rigor was getting own pretty badly against SSj4 Gogeta.
Wrong thread. :P

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Even though it's the same image from the Japanese Budokai 2 cover, it still looks awesome.
Just so people can compare.

banevane

Post by banevane » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:33 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Even though it's the same image from the Japanese Budokai 2 cover, it still looks awesome.
Just so people can compare.
Thank you Very much for taking the time to point this out. Because there are an unnecessary amount of people who jump headfirst in the " bash-young-for-copying-bandwagon". There are plenty of REFERENCES yes, heck there even are some legitimate panels where it's almost IDENTICAL to original artwork. But , oh wait guys, what's this? It's not a literal tracing?! this can't be! he has to be tracing!!! (sarcasmx1000). This artist puts in his work to try and deliver the best that he can. He is an Artist. (by far the most amazing Dragonball artist i've seen besides Toriyama himself, feel free to debate this statement once you find me proof otherwise), as an artist, he must use every tool in his trade to deliver QUALITY work. Yes, he takes references, but it's mainly poses. You do comprehend..he needs to fill in the pose with a whole different piece correct? like, you guys realize he's been using his own original looks for the characters the whole time right? That takes skill to pull off. ANYONE can copy a reference, but it takes someone who has the style down to fill in his unique character AND STILL MAKE IT AUTHENTIC. Some "hardcore" Dragonball fans out here should feel ashamed of yourselves. Someone puts in a lot of work into making his story visible for us, and ontop of it with astonishing quality, and some people out here have the nerve to sit there and criticize and nitpick on pieces and panels, when they're not contributing to the Dragonball fan universe at all, have it be DB, Z, GT, or AF.
So unless you yourself can provide us with equal or better, heck, even similar artwork/attention to detail, and with a fun story to boot, then please refrain from trying to sound like a know-it-all-critique when you have no adequate judgement for Dragonball.
Forgive this ridiculous post but i feel the need to point out that some people out there are being unfair to Young Jijii by bashing his work and still have the gall to title themselves as Dragonball fanatics. Any true die-hard fan, even if they dislike the thought of AF, will accept whatever gems we can find to prolong the longevity of this wonderful series.

My apologies and thank you for readin'. This mangaka is amazing, along with other interesting people like toyble and those of DBM