Sean Schemmel Battle of Z SS God Goku voice

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Re: Sean Schemmel Battle of Z SS God Goku voice

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Mewzard wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:"Let me show you the power of SSJ God!" Umm is that something Goku would say in Battle of Gods? Absolutely not.
I've mentioned that several times. The line's not even like what Goku would say, yet both Schemmel and Nozawa do say it for the game (albeit for Nozawa, it's in Japanese).
Can you provide proof that Nazawa says the same thing?
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:45 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
Mewzard wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:"Let me show you the power of SSJ God!" Umm is that something Goku would say in Battle of Gods? Absolutely not.
I've mentioned that several times. The line's not even like what Goku would say, yet both Schemmel and Nozawa do say it for the game (albeit for Nozawa, it's in Japanese).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ghEz5Xx6k#t=2m36s

If I'm not mishearing, she says "Super Saiya-jin God" and "chikara" or strength/power. The subs also seem to match the dialog, even for the Japanese trailer for Europe.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Mewzard wrote:Here's the thing: Goku IS incredibly serious at the times when Schemmel does it for the role. He's not Spider-Man cracking jokes as he fights a villain.

I'm convinced you've never heard Superman or a member of the Justice League speak if you truly believe what you're saying. I've watched several Justice League cartoons and read comics of them, and of all the related members for these series...and Goku doesn't sound like a Superhero. Certainly not in his Kai delivery or here.

Every time people make these comparisons, I question whether they actually know what they're talking about, or just making a jab at something using a reference they don't get.
Bro, -_-

That's just the tip of the ice berg...Superman and Goku are my jams, sounds like you need to get you DC on point.

AND I agree Goku does NOT sound like a Super hero hence why Schemmel sounds wrong in this ad and in various parts of Kai. The super hero genre has very distinct speech patterns which Schemmel has begun emmulating in much of his work whether intentional or not. The lines in Kai are obviously more Goku but not always the delivery. Regardless of your opinion on that, that is way way way off topic.

This topic is about Schemmel's SS God voice and nothing more, it's my fault for getting us off track so let's try and dial it back.
The clipp you posted is a perfect example: see in that delivery Masako Nozawa sounds like "Come at me bro, this is my power." It's not all "Time for me to cut loose and show you just how powerful I really am" (I'm referencing Superman vs. Darseid from the animated series when Superman pwns him)...I like Schemmel and disagree that in old Z his voice sounded like Superman, it's just here I def hear it.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:08 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
Mewzard wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ghEz5Xx6k#t=2m36s

Upon closer listening it sounds like "Super Saiya-Jin God no chikara...misete yaruze!"...which is rather common words to hear in shonen.

It shouldn't be far from what the subs say (depending upon how you translate it of course, but it matches what I've seen from its use in Gurren Lagann).

As for your Supes Collection Kakarot88...you should be able to see from that level of exposure how Superman behaves/acts/speaks...and Goku in Kai is almost nothing like that. The characters of Goku and Superman do share some origin bits, a similar place in their respective cultures, and power out the ass...but behaviorally, mentally, etc...they're fundamentally different characters, and you can tell that with how Goku speaks and acts.

What Superman does Schemmel sound like? George Reeves? Christopher Reeves? Brandon Routh? Henry Cavil? His voice actor from the Fleischer Era Cartoons? His Superfriends Voice Actor? Tim Daily? George Newbern? Dean Cain? Tom Welling? One of the game or animated movie actors I missed?

I don't hear any of those. Not even close.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:13 pm

Get confirmation from Herms please.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:24 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Without saying what my feelings on this voice are, it's important to note that just because he used this voice in the video game doesn't necessarily mean that that's the voice he'll use for the movie proper.
That's true. Kinda like how Mena Suvari's Aerith voice sounded different in Advent Children than it did in KHII.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Re: Mewzard

If your DC knowledge is as on point as your IMBD skills then you know you're just being pejorative or you genuinely don't hear it even in the suggested clip I referenced about Darkseid. That being the case it makes sense why you are fine with a Goku not sounding like Goku...mind you I like Sean Schemmel and am only commenting on this one isolated sentence read of his. But to each his own, you are entitled to your opinion I just disagree with you, respectfully of course.

I cannot convey how something sounds if you cannot hear it, this back and forth is meaningless and does not further the discussion so that's all I will say to you with respect to our differing opinions. If you have a different take on things other than "nuh uh no he doesn't" I would really enjoy discussing that but whether or not you hear something is about as fruitful as me trying to karate chop a red wood to keep warm.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:51 pm

IMDB? I didn't have to look these people up, I've just watched material with most of these people involved and remember their work. I should say my DC knowledge is good, given I've been on a Green Lantern Podcast for over 4 years and enjoyed comics even longer than that.

And yes, you're referring to the line Superman gives before he gives Darkseid a severe beating in the last episode of Justice League Unlimited. I've rewatched that scene a bunch after my original viewing of the show more than a dozen times due to liking it so much (I prefer Darkseid's portrayal in Jack Kirby's Fourth World, but that's due to it being my favorite comic run in DC *70s Kirby in DC made some insane, awesome stuff*).

The two deliveries are not even close. Tonally, it's very different. Superman was calm, but there was a slight undercut of anger in his tone. A few emphasized words, but nothing quite like how Goku growled out "Super Saiyan God!" Especially at the end.

In fact, the only thing they share in common is talking about power, which is a more well known Shonen trope, so not that surprising.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Mewzard is right (except ze was zo) with what Nozawa's Goku said. スーパーサイヤ人ゴッドの力見せてやるぞ‼ translates exactly into the line Schemmel said. I also agree that I don't hear Superman-esque delivery for current/Kai Schemmel. I heard that more from back in Z when they wrote his dialouge that way.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:00 pm

I should note that Nozawa in that clip sounds completely different from the voice she used for Super Saiyan God in the actual movie, too. Closer to her SS4 voice than anything.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:07 pm

Puto wrote:I should note that Nozawa in that clip sounds completely different from the voice she used for Super Saiyan God in the actual movie, too. Closer to her SS4 voice than anything.
Listening to the trailer again, you're right. So, maybe that's just Schemmel following Nozawa's original take. Which would make sense since the voice he did use sounded closer to his Super Saiyan 4 voice than anything.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Ugh. Video game promotions should at least try to remain faithful to the character.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:21 pm

I agree, especially since in the movie there's no way in hell Goku would ever say that.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:29 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Mewzard is right (except ze was zo) with what Nozawa's Goku said. スーパーサイヤ人ゴッドの力見せてやるぞ‼ translates exactly into the line Schemmel said. I also agree that I don't hear Superman-esque delivery for current/Kai Schemmel. I heard that more from back in Z when they wrote his dialouge that way.
I thought it was Zo, but my search on google to check had ze, so I thought I misheard. Thanks for the confirmation.
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
Puto wrote:I should note that Nozawa in that clip sounds completely different from the voice she used for Super Saiyan God in the actual movie, too. Closer to her SS4 voice than anything.
Listening to the trailer again, you're right. So, maybe that's just Schemmel following Nozawa's original take. Which would make sense since the voice he did use sounded closer to his Super Saiyan 4 voice than anything.
So, for that particular line, the delivery fit? Well, I guess that solves that issue.

In the long run, I guess we won't know how he'll do it for the movie until Funi can get through these rights issues and put the movie out...
TheMightyOzaru wrote:Ugh. Video game promotions should at least try to remain faithful to the character.
It might match some story stuff NB is doing. Perhaps we'll get an original story with them in game.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:07 pm

Mewzard wrote:So, for that particular line, the delivery fit? Well, I guess that solves that issue.
For you yes, it still does not sound like Goku. This is far from Schemmel's best and it can hopefully only get better from here. His delivery is vastly different from the clam bad assery of Masako Nozawa and is instead over the top serious.

How I enjoy the anime:

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:15 pm

I don't care if they're doing an original story, that line is out of character. Story has nothing do with this.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:40 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
Mewzard wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ghEz5Xx6k#t=2m36s

If I'm not mishearing, she says "Super Saiya-jin God" and "chikara" or strength/power. The subs also seem to match the dialog, even for the Japanese trailer for Europe.
Get confirmation from Herms please.
Not Herms, but that is what he says.

"Super Saiyan God no chikara o misete yaruzo"

Pretty much means "I'm gonna show you Super Saiyan God's Power"
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:48 pm

penguintruth wrote:He's just doing "Z Schemmel Goku" for SSG Goku. Season 3 Goku, essentially.

It's hardly radical for him to start sucking again. He only barely doesn't anyway.
Schemmel sounded pretty much the same in Z as he does now, only difference is that back then he had a less carefree and less natural delivery. He was pretty much playing Goku as the nicest guy in the world . Still the actual pitch and tone was pretty much the same, certainly not as deep as SSJG Schemmel.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:45 pm

So un-DBZ, they have really ran this anime out. Anything from Funi DBZ related except the rest of Dragon Box(if released) expected it to be wrecked.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:12 pm

SupremeSSJ wrote:So un-DBZ, they have really ran this anime out. Anything from Funi DBZ related except the rest of Dragon Box(if released) expected it to be wrecked.
Why!? This is but one performance and one line, the series is not based on one line. Generally Sean sounds like an American accented Goku or at least he used too but not so much when he gets super serious and fatherly sounding

How I enjoy the anime: