Piccolo's Name

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Terra-jin
Regular

Piccolo's Name

Post by Terra-jin » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:25 am

When Piccolo reunites with Kami, he states that he is now a Namek who no longer remembers his name. But wouldn't Piccolo just be his original name?

When "Katatz's son" splits into good and evil, the good becomes Kami and the evil becomes Piccolo Daimao. Kami simply means "God" and Daimao means "Great Demon King" or devil. So, Kami would have no name while Daimao calls himself Piccolo.
Later on, it is revealed that Katatz's son arrived in a space ship that opens by saying "Piccolo", meaning Another World in Namek. Isn't it possible that Katatz named his child Piccolo, sending him to another world and all? After all, why would Daimao call himself "Another World" if he didn't know that he was an alien?

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:13 pm

He probably said that to imply that the names of both Kami and Piccolo were made null and void when they fused into one being. It would stand to reason to call the refused being Kami due to Piccolo being only the evil part of kami-sama. is it clear now?
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:14 pm

His name was originally Piccolo. But look at it this way. The original split in two, Kami Piccolo and Daimao Piccolo. Two beings each with half the power of the original whole. One evil, one good. Two beings with a common memory between them up to the point of splitting, at which point they began to live seperate lives.

Daimao Piccolo is sealed away by Mutaito, during which time Kami Piccolo becomes much stronger than him. They both age over hundreds of years. Daimao Piccolo is released by Pilaf, regains his youth, and resumes his evil reign of terror. He is killed by Son Goku.

Daimao Piccolo's essence and memories are forced upon his final offspring, Daimao Piccolo Junior. He becomes much stronger than Kami Piccolo, and upon traveling to Namek, merges with another powerful namek by the name of Nail.

So now Kami Piccolo has the memories of original Piccolo and the events and experiences that shaped him as a seperate entity from Daimao Piccolo. Daimao Piccolo Junior has the memories and experiences of Original Piccolo, Daimao Piccolo, his own memories, and now the memories, power and experiences of an entirely seperate past growing up on Namek as Nail.

Upon remerging with Kami Piccolo, Daimao Junior was already the comglomerated memories and experiences of 3 variations of himself, plus the entire persona of Nail. Upon becoming whole again, there is a lot of wisdom and power returned to him, but also the memories of 4 slightly different entities, and one entirely seperate entitiy within him.

All in all, he seems to handle it pretty well. All the years hating himself basically as Daimao and Kami, hundreds of years of memories, wisdom and experiences that overlap and even contradict in some places. I'd say I'd be a little uncertain who exactly I was too anymore in his situation.

I don't know that he forgot his name, but was just simply saying, "Hey, it doesn't even matter who I am anymore, or what my name is. I'm here, I'm whole, I'm powerful, and I'm ready to do right by the world now."

A tad confusing, but hopefully that helped explain it somewhat better for you.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:09 pm

Also I think he was referring to what his true name was before coming to Earth. It had been hundreds of years since he had used it.

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:56 pm

Akira wrote:His name was originally Piccolo. But look at it this way. The original split in two, Kami Piccolo and Daimao Piccolo. Two beings each with half the power of the original whole. One evil, one good. Two beings with a common memory between them up to the point of splitting, at which point they began to live separate lives.
That's one thing I always figured as well, but at the same time it has always bothered me because thanks to DBGT, it actually sets up a plot hole way back in Dragon Ball!

In GT it is explained that before they split, Kami and Piccolo created the Black Star Dragon Balls. So if the the two, when split, share a common memory from the time they were originally one, shouldn't Piccolo Daimao remember making the Black Star balls? Also, if he remembers making them he should have known what a Dragon Ball was in the first place, meaning he wouldn't need Pilaf to explain to him what they were when he was released from the...rice cooker.

I know that since it's GT, I shouldn't take it too seriously, but nonetheless it's a somewhat blaring error.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:11 pm

The Black Star balls turned to stone when they split, so Daimao assumed they no longer existed. He did not know after the split that Kami had made a second set (The Red Star balls). He most likely played dumb with pilaf to uncover what powers these new balls possesed.
Not really a plot hole. It works.

Also, consider that when split, the majority of the Namekian Magic was retained by Kami. So even though Daimao remembered the Dragonballs, he was not able to create his own set. Daimao Piccolo Junior was seen to be able to materialize items and clothing, but his use of Namekian Magic was not expanded until he remerged with Kami Piccolo.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:02 am

King Piccolo, may have been able to, but didn't want to take the time, as it may take too long and he'd die of old age before doing so. Then again, the black star balls plot hole comes into play again as why Piccolo didn't just make new ones after refusing with Kami. Said he couldn't do it.