DBZ games on PS4/XB1: What are the chances?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: DBZ games on PS4/XB1: What are the chances?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:25 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I honestly think we could see one as early as 2015.
We are getting BOZ this year. I think we might have to wait another two years if that's the rote that they are going for.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

GogetaSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GogetaSSJ2 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:52 pm

It's already 2014. I think 2015 is still too soon. Give it till 2016/17 for the install base to grow a bit.
PSN: Nightwing7841

"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta, I am the instrument of your destruction!" - Gogeta

GogetaSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GogetaSSJ2 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:17 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
We are getting BOZ this year. I think we might have to wait another two years if that's the rote that they are going for.
I am open to having a new DBZ game every 2 years, instead of every year. If it helps improve the quality of these games then why not?

"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta, I am the instrument of your destruction!" - Gogeta

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:47 am

Well, it could be late 2015, which is about two years from now.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:11 am

The reason I say we could see one as early as next year is simple: a 2015 PS3/360 exclusive in a franchise like Dragon Ball is going to struggle. A comparison to the transition between the PS2 -> PS3 isn't appropriate:

- The PS3, and 360 were on the market without a successor for a longer period than the PS2 was. That has led to the active userbases (meaning, the people that own a PS3/360 and are still buying software) for those platforms being in a rapid decline. We've seen some huge software sales drops in pretty much every major franchise this past year. The 360 will be 10 years old in 2015. We didn't get a new Dragon Ball PS2 game in 2010. It's time for Namco Bandai to move on because consumers are.

- There is no secondary platform to support these games. The later Budokai Tenkaichi games benefited from being multi-platform with the Wii, which allowed that platform to pick up any decline from the PS2. From what we've seen thus far, there won't be a Wii this generation to pick up the PS3/360's slack. The closest equivalents in terms of hardware capabilities would be the Vita, and Wii U and neither of those platforms are in a position to prop anything up.

- The PS4 and Xbox One are outselling their predecessors within the same period of time. There's no sluggish hardware sales to scare off potential investment like there was with the PS3. If anything, this should encourage Namco Bandai to get a PS4/XB1 game in development as soon as possible. The quicker they can ship a game means the quicker they can get the next iteration out, and thus they can subsidize their investment over multiple game releases throughout the generation.

The thing that throws a wrench into this is the fact that Namco Bandai has rebooted their Dragon Ball console games with Battle of Z. History has shown us that they're not the kind of company that will use assets once, but as BoZ isn't a particularly great looking PS3/360 game a transition into next gen won't be pretty. Maybe we should expect some ugly cross-gen releases?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:26 pm

Most causal people don't buy new consoles until a few years later after the next gen systems come out. The PS3 and 360 were more common in house holds by 2009, so I don't think people will move on until next gen systems at least 2016. People are still buying the PS3 and 360. People still bought the PS1/PSX after the PS2 came out, the PS2 after the PS3 came out and the original Xbox after the 360 came out. Hell, I got the original Xbox when the 360 came out since I never bother with MS consoles at the time.
She/Her

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:47 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Most causal people don't buy new consoles until a few years later after the next gen systems come out.
Some get sucked into the hype of "are you a PS4 or Xbox One gamer? Make your pre-order today!" and at launch they had great sales but so far neither have very good games to justify paying their high prices.

I'm guessing that a lot of them will play on their brand new shiny boxes and then not touch it for months, or sell/trade it in.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:25 pm

When the PS3 and 360 came out, people still bought the current gen systems at the time. Nothing much has change since then and I think they will likely make one more game on the 360 and PS3. No different how we got IW on the PS2 back in 2008.
- The PS3, and 360 were on the market without a successor for a longer period than the PS2 was.
The PS2 was on the market for over 10 years. Gamestop didn't pull of their games and the consoles of the PS2 until after 2010. Also the PS2 had major titles coming out for it until 2008. People view Persona 4 as the last major PS2 game. DBZ games are budget title games, so I can see them lasting for one more year.
She/Her

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
- The PS3, and 360 were on the market without a successor for a longer period than the PS2 was.
The PS2 was on the market for over 10 years. Gamestop didn't pull of their games and the consoles of the PS2 until after 2010. Also the PS2 had major titles coming out for it until 2008. People view Persona 4 as the last major PS2 game. DBZ games are budget title games, so I can see them lasting for one more year.
I encourage you to re-read what I wrote.

PlayStation 2

PlayStation 3

PlayStation 4

Xbox

Xbox 360

Xbox One

As I said, PS3/360 have been on the market without a successor longer than their predecessors were. Those platforms already hit saturation a year or two back, and now are just in decline. If Namco Bandai is interested in selling more units being exclusive to that hardware won't help them.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:38 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: We didn't get a new Dragon Ball PS2 game in 2010. It's time for Namco Bandai to move on because consumers are.
The PS2 was dead by 2010 and they are still making games for the PS3/360. I know a lot of people who don't own a next gen system yet. It's still pretty early, so I don't see them jumping the gun yet. I mean they didn't put BT3 on the PS3 and 360 a year after they came out.
She/Her

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:30 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
I don't want to put a list of games here for PS4/XO but even by 2015 both of these consoles might still be lacking games and therefore it just wouldn't be suitable to release a game on them risking not making profit, however, Namco Bandai has had their cut of releasing DBZ games which failed to be profitable already so who knows what they'll do.

If the "hardcore" gamers are happy with shooters and sports' titles then Activision and EA can provide them those types of games.

Modern gamers: Graphics > Gameplay (Killzone Shadowfall looks amazing but it's a crappy game overall)
Classic gamers: Gameplay > Graphics (I'm one of them)
There are a great deal of games coming to the PS4 & XBox One by the end of 2015 that aren't shooters and sports titles. Final Fantasy XV pretty much has to be out within that time frame at this point, we're seeing a great deal of indie titles, and we're getting plenty of action titles that are not fps titles (like the new Infamous, for example). I don't think that a lack of games will be much of an issue a year from now. 2015 is a pretty reasonable guess for PS4/XBox One Dragon Ball games. I'm not quite sure how that your thoughts on Killzone invalidate that. :?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:47 pm

I think BOZ will be our last game on this current gen systems. BOZ2 should be out by 2016 since they might do a game once every two years now. By 2016, the PS4 and Xbox One will be more common in more house holds.
She/Her

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:51 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think BOZ will be our last game on this current gen systems. BOZ2 should be out by 2016 since they might do a game once every two years now. By 2016, the PS4 and Xbox One will be more common in more house holds.
I think we'll get something beyond BOZ on PS3, though it won't make much of an impact. Kinda like how we got Infinite World after Burst Limit.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:58 pm

Yeah I would guess we might get a HD Collecton of the Sparking games and that would be it. A HD collection of those games might be made due to fan requests unlike the Budokai collection which most likely got made for Budokai's 10th anniversary.
She/Her

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:12 pm

While they probably will just release the next games on the PS3/360, it would be smarter to release it on the PS4/XB1 aswell. More money for the company.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:40 pm

BOZ2 on both systems could be possible, but I doubt we will a sequel next year. I think they want to do games once every two years now since we didn't get a major DBZ console game in 2013 which proves the whole contract rumors nonsense false. They did DBZ games yearly because they used to make a lot of money and sales started to drop by 2008 or 2009.
She/Her

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:50 am

If Battle of Z does well, I think that we will see a new DBZ game this year, especially with the momentum that will be around the franchise following FUNi's potential Battle of Gods release and Buu Arc of Kai on Bluray/nicktoons later this year.
One World. 🌐 🕊

GogetaSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GogetaSSJ2 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:51 am

PhoenixEX wrote:If Battle of Z does well, I think that we will see a new DBZ game this year, especially with the momentum that will be around the franchise following FUNi's potential Battle of Gods release and Buu Arc of Kai on Bluray/nicktoons later this year.
Doubt it. I think January might be the new release month for DBZ games for now on. They've realized DBZ can't compete with games like COD being released around the same time in the Fall.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:43 pm

I don't think COD has anything to do with DBZ games not selling well. DBZ games stop selling well because they got bad reviews from critics and fans. Unlike COD, the DBZ are for a niche audience. When people hear the new DBZ game sucks then they tend to skip out on it and use their money on something else. It also does not help that the DBZ games tend turn most people off since you always see the same comments like "This one looks like the same as the last one" over and over again on the web.
She/Her

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:03 pm

The thing with CoD games is that they always keep the same formula which they've pretty much nailed it but because of it people hate it due to making it seem like a new game every year.

Battle of Z's problem is that it tries to do more than it should and in return we get less than expected. BoZ is going to get 5/10 and 6/10 reviews at best.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray