Watching Kai in English and watching DBZ subtitled

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Watching Kai in English and watching DBZ subtitled

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:36 pm

How many of you guys watch the original DBZ in Japanese and watch Kai only in English?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Watching Kai in English and watching DBZ subtitled

Post by B » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:38 pm

I wouldn't say I watch Kai only in English, but I've seen it more that way. It's a version of the show I can A) understand whilst not giving it my full attention and doing something else, and B) not cringe at how awful it is.

But it's all case-by-case. I've let the original Dragon Ball play in the background in Japanese. I just like hearing Nozawa.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:42 pm

As with B, I've probably seen the Kai dub more than the original version. However, that's because I've only really seen Kai on American television and haven't really made any effort to collect the DVD/Blurays. From what I've seen, the dub didn't really bother me.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:13 pm

I wouldn't say that I watch only Japanese or English in the case of either DBZ or Kai. Having said that, when I'm watching DBZ, the majority of the time I'm watching it in Japanese, and when I'm watching Kai, the majority of the time I'm watching it in English.

I know not everybody agrees with this, but in my personal opinion, DBZ was already done perfectly well in Japanese. Without naming which performances, it seems to me that many of the Japanese performances in Kai have a bored, "We've done this eighteen million times" feel to it, which is the complete opposite feeling that I get from watching the English dub, where many of the actors were eager to make up for less-than-stellar performances in the DBZ dub. If it weren't for Kai's English dub, I'd have little to no interest in Kai.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:22 pm

I'm not really understanding the question, but I watch Dragon Ball Z in Japanese, and Kai in both English and Japanese. I've seen the funimation dub of Dragon Ball Z to it's completion, but I don't like it after watching it in Japanese.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Hate Kai because I find the American acting forced and their presentation of the accurate Japanese Dialogue stilted and the musical replacement score with repetitive song atrocious. :thumbup: Have not given the Japanese version a try because I don't like my show being cropped and they got it right the first time around (except for Urunai Baba, hate that voice).

On the other hand I watch Dragon Ball Z either in Japanese with Subtitles or in English w/the Bruce Faulconer score music (still with subtitles cuz I like knowing the real lines).
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:44 pm

I watch both Original and Kai dubbed. Mostly because I hate reading and so I don't really want to be reading(subtitles) when I'm watching something. Obvious exceptions are when watching either the OVA's or BoG. But I much prefer watching it dubbed, regardless of it's accuracy.

Shnuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shnuki » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:49 pm

Well, that's actually my preffered way to watch these shows, so you now at least know that someone like that actually exists :wink:

However, I do like to listen to other dubs, so it's not like it is the only way that I watch both shows.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:Hate Kai because I find the American acting forced and their presentation of the accurate Japanese Dialogue stilted and the musical replacement score with repetitive song atrocious. :thumbup: Have not given the Japanese version a try because I don't like my show being cropped and they got it right the first time around (except for Urunai Baba, hate that voice).

On the other hand I watch Dragon Ball Z either in Japanese with Subtitles or in English w/the Bruce Faulconer score music (still with subtitles cuz I like knowing the real lines).
What do you mean the acting feels forced? In my opinion the acting sounds natural and much better then the original dub and this is coming from a guy who is a fan of both dubs.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:37 pm

All Dragon Ball in Japanese w/Eng subs, except for "Ocean Dub" Z Eps. 01-53 / Films 1-3.

The cast of Ocean Group did a great job and I'd watch the entire series, games and etc if they were the ones dubbing it in English because the vocals suit the characters precisely, especially Peter Kelamis which is an English Masako.

As for Kai, if I were to watch it it'd be all in Japanese with the original score, but I'm not ever going to rewatch that unless for the Saiyan and Freeza arcs.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:51 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:
Kakarot88 wrote:Hate Kai because I find the American acting forced and their presentation of the accurate Japanese Dialogue stilted and the musical replacement score with repetitive song atrocious. :thumbup: Have not given the Japanese version a try because I don't like my show being cropped and they got it right the first time around (except for Urunai Baba, hate that voice).

What do you mean the acting feels forced? In my opinion the acting sounds natural and much better then the original dub and this is coming from a guy who is a fan of both dubs.
By forced I mean: monotone, bored, poor delivery, lack of enthusiasm or urgency. Forced also include the general way in which the audio does not match up with the mouth flaps to further accentuate just how awkward their delivery of these lines.

I'm not knocking anyone for liking it. Lots of ppl here love it, I'm just not one of them.

More specifically, I also find it overrated and poorly done (see mouth flaps and monotone). To me it lacks heart and any quirkiness, and the build up to things just isn't there the pacing is off. The funi dub (especially the singles without the redub which is the one I watch has major problems but it has heart. The actors feel like their are interacting and are in the moment. Kai sounds like they are reading lines bleh.)

The only good thing I can think of is Chris Ayers who on the whole did a decent job as Freeza, and who I have no idea why people just go all goey over maybe its solely bc Linda Young was just that different of a portrayal. Either way towards the end even he just starts sounding either like he's bored and reading lines, from his 100% form 4 Freeza onward I just can't do it, he and my fav American Goku, Sean Schemmel, just did a piss poor job...the worst to me absolute worst is when Vegeta goes Super Saiyan I was like "Wow....uh ok so nothing no big deal I guess?...and I'm done" lol

I'm a still check out Boo and hope its better when it comes out.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:29 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:

By forced I mean: monotone, bored, poor delivery, lack of enthusiasm or urgency. Forced also include the general way in which the audio does not match up with the mouth flaps to further accentuate just how awkward their delivery of these lines.

I'm not knocking anyone for liking it. Lots of ppl here love it, I'm just not one of them.

More specifically, I also find it overrated and poorly done (see mouth flaps and monotone). To me it lacks heart and any quirkiness, and the build up to things just isn't there the pacing is off. The funi dub (especially the singles without the redub which is the one I watch has major problems but it has heart. The actors feel like their are interacting and are in the moment. Kai sounds like they are reading lines bleh.)

The only good thing I can think of is Chris Ayers who on the whole did a decent job as Freeza, and who I have no idea why people just go all goey over maybe its solely bc Linda Young was just that different of a portrayal. Either way towards the end even he just starts sounding either like he's bored and reading lines, from his 100% form 4 Freeza onward I just can't do it, he and my fav American Goku, Sean Schemmel, just did a piss poor job...the worst to me absolute worst is when Vegeta goes Super Saiyan I was like "Wow....uh ok so nothing no big deal I guess?...and I'm done" lol

I'm a still check out Boo and hope its better when it comes out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Ux5cs2G1g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf6qeO-Wd2c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQimwco0qo4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlNXhGizk3w

Well from these interviews Chris Sabat and Seán Schemmel were excited to be dubbing dragon ball z kai.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:28 pm

Watch both in Japanese. The only Dragonball related thing I watch in English nowadays is GT because of nostalgia. Strange because I can't watch Z's dub anymore but I enjoy GT's.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:53 pm

I cant watch kai simply because a lot of the acting felt very overdone at times and yes, forced. Especially Freeza. While Kai's script was more mature and dramatic, it was also written in such a way that nearly all of his lines had to be delivered as though he were on an episode of Speed Racer, speaking as swiftly as possible without savoring the dialogue. Not to mention I find the idea of giving an evil character a British accent (and an inconsistent one at that) immensely lazy and cliche. There is no weight to his performance from the overarticulate dialogue.

Then there's Piccolo's dry monotone voice also bores me.
DBZ Mick wrote:Watch both in Japanese. The only Dragonball related thing I watch in English nowadays is GT because of nostalgia. Strange because I can't watch Z's dub anymore but I enjoy GT's.
I feel more opposite in that regard, I can't watch GT in english simply because of dub Pan and The American music..... worst soundtrack I've ever heard...
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:13 am

Currently watching DBZ in Japanese and plan on watching dubbed Kai right after.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:16 am

I watch all of the series in English, but I turn on the Japanese Subtitles too. I enjoy the English voice actors, but I also like to know what they are really meant to be saying.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:00 am

I do the opposite, watch Z in English and Kai in Japanese.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:03 am

I'm looking forward to collecting and watching Kai in english straight through for the first time. I wouldn't care much to watch Kai in Japanese since I have the original for that, and like others have said the FUNi cast were eager to re-dub the show while the Japanese cast were old and done with it, plus the music wouldn't do it for me like the original did. Watching Kai in English with the replacement score would be more tolerable.

For me, the main selling point of Kai is the better English dub, so I'd prefer it that way. DBZ subbed is fantastic. DBZ dubbed not so much.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:26 am

I feel more opposite in that regard, I can't watch GT in english simply because of dub Pan and The American music..... worst soundtrack I've ever heard...
I watch with the Japanese soundtrack, it's much better that way. I also see english Pan almost on level with the seiyuu so she doesn't really bother me.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:32 am

Japanese Pan (same actress as Videl) at least makes her sound mostly like a kid. Her English actress doesn't, and she just plain can't act.

Not saying Pan was a great character in the original, but in the dub she's more grating to me. I remember Blue Water's Pan being better, and she was an actual kid.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash