How Much Would This All Be Worth?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Re: How Much Would This All Be Worth?

Post by Dalesy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:55 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:getting into physical fights
If I had to choose between depression/anxiety/general unhappiness and getting the shit kicked out of me, I'd choose getting the shit kicked out of me. I didn't give a shit that I lost the fight, what hurt were the feelings of abandonment and a loss of self-worth that came with it. It doesn't matter what the material cause of your situation is, what matters is how you feel about it. If you're depressed, sad, lonely, anxious, etc., you need to treat it seriously, regardless of the cause.

You say you're not valuable to anyone, but people here care enough to write paragraphs encouraging you to help yourself. Whether or not you throw away all of your DB stuff, just realize that you have a right to seek your own happiness.
"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:03 pm

I definitely agree ^ Even though we've gone way off topic I do think it was worth it. I'm glad to read all the responses and to have given one myself because if it can help someone out possibly save someone, it was worth it. I truly believe Kanzenshuu is the best site for friends and something you can be passionate about. thatdbzguy like it or not. people you've never and probably never will meet, care enough about you to try to help you. give you advice, and kinda worry about your safety....Kinda like a friend? :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:04 pm

Dalesy wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:getting into physical fights
If I had to choose between depression/anxiety/general unhappiness and getting the shit kicked out of me, I'd choose getting the shit kicked out of me. I didn't give a shit that I lost the fight, what hurt were the feelings of abandonment and a loss of self-worth that came with it. It doesn't matter what the material cause of your situation is, what matters is how you feel about it. If you're depressed, sad, lonely, anxious, etc., you need to treat it seriously, regardless of the cause.

You say you're not valuable to anyone, but people here care enough to write paragraphs encouraging you to help yourself. Whether or not you throw away all of your DB stuff, just realize that you have a right to seek your own happiness.
The only people who deserve to be happy are the ones who actually contribute to society and help to improve the lives of others.

Why should someone like me, who does neither and plans on doing neither, have a chance at happiness? If you don't make something out of your life, you're worthless to society, and your happiness does not matter.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:20 pm

No everyone deserves happiness, it's a god given right. Unless you've done something truly horrible you should have the right to feel comfortable with you and your life. If you feel you don't contribute enough mopping and making your life misery won't help, You could help out at a homeless shelter, donate some old clothes, even buy a dog that's going to be put down. Even the smallest thing can go along way. You can be as awesome as you want if you just let yourself be.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:37 pm

Urgh, here we go... Well, you could make quite a buck off of what you have. About $650-700 if you really push for it.

And I'm not saying anything about the rest of this topic aside from that you should probably seek help for your issues, because they clearly extends beyond just a hatred of the series. Just my suggestion, though. Happiness isn't handed to everyone, but the pursuit of it is a natural right. You decide whether to let that right wither.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:44 pm

If by "all FUNimation movie collections" you mean all 17 films with Japanese audio, I'll drop $20 for them all.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dalesy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:24 am

thatdbzguy wrote:Why should someone like me, who does neither and plans on doing neither, have a chance at happiness?
Because happiness is not a finite resource. Why should you withhold happiness from yourself? It's not like you're granting happiness to someone you feel is more deserving of it by sitting around self-loathing. There's actually a fantastic quote from Rurouni Kenshin that I think applies here greatly.

Kiyosato: Thank you, though I feel badly about it. Why should I be this happy while other people are miserable?
Shigekura: What are you talking about, Kiyosato? The world is always in a terrible condition. That shouldn't stop a man from being happy, should it?

You have every right and reason to seek out your own happiness. It doesn't take anything away from anybody, all it does is better your own condition.
"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:17 am

thatdbzguy wrote:Why should someone like me, who does neither and plans on doing neither, have a chance at happiness? If you don't make something out of your life, you're worthless to society, and your happiness does not matter.
Have you ever considered getting an education and/or a job? Unlike the DB universe, those bring us lots of self-worth in our world.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:20 am

thatdbzguy wrote:
Wibbs wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote: I'm not surrounded by anyone. I have almost no friends, and me and my family don't like to talk to each other. Which doesn't bother me honestly, because I prefer being a loner.
Then you should try to be a little less dismissive to the people who do want to talk to you, you may even make a friend or two.
No thanks. I don't want friends, I just want to be a happy loner.
Now that's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:00 am

Your problem isn't "what other people think about a silly Japanese cartoon", but more like "learning to live with other peoples opinions", which is a SERIOUS ISSUE. More than you think and it's not unique to you.

People here have given you really good advice, take it. Don't be unhappy about stupid shit like other people throughts about you.

Besides, does an universally praised manga/anime even exist?

What if you love something like Death Note, which is very critically acclaimed and people say "woah u liek death notez ur so cool!", then someone comes and say "meh, death note is overrated"? What would you do then, start hating on Death Note too? :lolno:

This is totally offtopic but we're only trying to help.
Also i can guarantee you , i lived most of my life unhappy and miserable, you know when i started being happy? That's right, when i stopped caring about what other people think about me.

I have to thank some hypocrite ex-friends that betrayed me for realizing that.

You probably will shrug off what we say,but i'm sure one day you will understand too what we mean.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:45 am

If it helps, my experience with Japanese people (in the 18-30 range) when they learn that I like Dragonball don't pull the "that's not real anime" card or whatever kids are saying nowadays. Instead, they might say something like, "Dragonball is a classic! I remember watching/reading it in Japan!" On occasion, one of those people might happen across a Japanese printing of a manga volume here and there that I own and will sit down and read it. In some apartments, I've seen Japanese people have a volume of VIZ Dragonball Z so they can better their English with something that most people enjoy.

In short, no Japanese person has ever sat me down and said, "Dude, Dragonball Z sucks major pork butt. Gohan should've died in the Freeza arc, he was totally out-of-character in the Cell arc, and Cell himself is a giant pork butt, too."

So, amongst the native intended audience of the franchise, Dragonball isn't this horrible thing that's cool to hate. Take that piece of information for what it's worth.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:06 am

Kendamu wrote:Cell himself is a giant pork butt, too."
That wording is wonderful. I just felt that needed to be stated.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:51 am

thatdbzguy wrote:I want to get rid of all of my Dragon Ball stuff and forget it even exists, so as to spare me of any more emotional stress/trauma involving it.
Dragon Ball Z is a manga/anime that is just fun to read/watch, it's not meant to be taken so seriously that you should take it to heart. Anyway, do you plan to sell your stuff here or on ebay? I have my eye on those VizBigs.

Naughty Kinto Un
Beyond Newbie

Post by Naughty Kinto Un » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:03 am

thatdbzguy wrote: The only people who deserve to be happy are the ones who actually contribute to society and help to improve the lives of others.

Why should someone like me, who does neither and plans on doing neither, have a chance at happiness? If you don't make something out of your life, you're worthless to society, and your happiness does not matter.

That's not how the world works. There's no need to punish yourself. Life is hard enough as it is, and it'll do all the punishing without your help, whether or not you deserve it. With those odds, might as well go all out for happiness.

Yes, society is important. But there is no society without individuals. When its individuals are unhappy, society is unhappy. I'm not sure which comes first, society or the individual, the order probably not being clean cut, but one thing I'm absolutely certain of:

Being unhappy doesn't do you or society any good.

Even if you're happy and society gets nothing from that, at least someone comes out of it a winner. Better than no one. More likely, though, your happiness will have a positive ripple effect. Aside from the fact that cheeriness is infectious, being happy will enable your involvement with society, and a happy person tends to have the energy and interest to make the world a better place. You say definitively that you have no plans to contribute to society, yet at the same time you obviously feel enough guilt about it to want to punish yourself (meaning, you care). That sounds like a symptom of depression to me. It sounds like the main thing that's keeping you from contributing to society, whatever that means, is the fact that you're depressed, that you're not happy.

The hardest part is the breaking the self-sustaining cycle of depression and the lack of motivation. Like Ringworm suggested, doing something that gives you a sense of value is an effective way to break out of it. It's hard to make that leap, because sometimes the motivation comes after the fact, but it's a leap worth taking, a plunge that could change everything. It could be charitable, or educational, or something as simple as joining a club. Or if you need to take baby steps, exercise, eating healthily, and sleeping well are good ways to start (even if at first you can only do 1/3 of those, that can ease the eventual commencement of the other 2/3). Go for walks or, better, runs. Or if there's something that you know you love to do, not merely instant gratification but something engaging, something creative, or competitive, or freeing, involve yourself in that. Once you break out of that vicious cycle, it's much easier.

Actually, this is relevant to a recurring theme in Dragon Ball. Goku does what he loves to do, which is training in martial arts and fighting competitively. It makes him happy, it's his purpose in life. His brand of happiness may seem frivolous at a glance (heavy lifting rocks then over-sized turtles), but the world and, later on, the universe are better for it. They still exist because Goku likes to be happy. Be happy and it will most likely have a positive effect on the rest of us. You have nothing to lose.

By the way, that philosophy that if you're unable to contribute to society you're worthless and deserve to be unhappy? What nonsense. Does that mean, by some standards, the severely intellectually disabled deserve to be unhappy? Or for that matter, the clinically depressed like you? Or Yamucha? (OK, I'll admit Yamucha doesn't deserve to be happy ;) ) In fact, how does one accurately measure an individual's contribution and value? That philosophy is really a slippery slope to fascism. There's no reason for you to apply it to yourself or anyone.

As to your original question, what's the worth of your Dragon Ball merchandise? They're worth nothing compared to your well being. I know it sounds corny, and it's definitely a cliché -- but that's only because it's true. I don't think getting rid of it will help, because there's something deeper going on inside you that has very little to do with Dragon Ball. That's where a psychologist or group therapy could be helpful. I know, ultimately, this post won't convince you, must less fix the stuff you're dealing with, but I hope it encourages you to take at least one step in the right direction.
Last edited by Naughty Kinto Un on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:11 am

Naughty Kinto Un wrote: (OK, I'll admit Yamucha doesn't deserve to be happy ;) )
Well according to this interview.

Q5. Was Yamcha able to become happy?
A. I've al~ways had that feeling (laughs).

Herms then wrote in the same post: In the question over whether Yamcha was able to "become happy", the phrase in question (shiawase ni naru) seems to often be used when discussing marriage (or lack thereof). The picture that goes with it is Yamcha, directly after the Cell Games, talking about how his girlfriend wants an expensive necklace. So I guess you can draw your own conclusions.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:13 am

Hey, ThatDBZGuy.

Do you at least appreciate the fact that all of these people have taken the time to write out all of these long and well-thought out posts in an attempt to offer you advise and help? It's so 'Super Shonen'. :P

Remember dude, you're on the internet. I thought this was meant to be the place where anyone can put forth and wave their opinion around confidently, without caring what other people think; no matter how socially-awkward, popular, old, young, wealthy, poor, quiet, dumb, nerdy, ugly, over-weight, you might be.

Unless of course you're trolling. Because those one-line posts are a little suspect... :lol:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:58 am

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but I really feel I need to get this out. I apologize to the mods if I'm out of line, but I mean no malice.
Kaboom wrote:I'm going to be blunt here, thatdbzguy, because being blunt is sometimes necessary.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Stop giving a shit about what other people think of you or the things which you, despite your best efforts to convince yourself and others to the contrary, obviously find enjoyment in. If there's some underlying bigger reason for your negative behavior here, then there's really no deeper advice we can give you. You'll have to figure that one out yourself.
Pretty much this.

I have to say that 'thatdbzguy' really irritates me because he reminds me of myself 9 or 10 years ago. I was on a Megaman forum, and I was basically going on with all of the same pity BS about how I'm "worthless" and my drawings will never be good, and I got told this basically, and was banned from the forum (it was a temp ban, but I never went back because I felt quite embarrassed and basically ruined my reputation there).

It's really this. Don't feel sorry for yourself and be a "drama queen". It's just a waste of time. I had things legitimately rough in school, and had lots of people always saying terrible things to me, but in the end I realized, who gives a shit? Me wasting time feeling sorry for myself wasn't helping things at all. Basically, I just decided I'd feel how I wanted to, and think for myself, cheesy as though it may sound.

So, in closing, just ask yourself this: "why should I care what others think of me, and why waste my time throwing a pity party?" That's really the best advice I can give you.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wibbs » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:55 am

thatdbzguy wrote: Why should someone like me, who does neither and plans on doing neither, have a chance at happiness? If you don't make something out of your life, you're worthless to society, and your happiness does not matter.
Look, thatdbzguy, I'm going to level with you. Go ahead and sell your collection, honestly I think it's a terrible idea. It's not going to make you happy, I along with many other members have told you this countless times on several of the other threads you have made. But I realize you are not going to listen, so I want you to remember something. While you're sitting there feeling alone and miserable just know that there was a community out there that was willing to listen, to reach out to you and even befriend you. All you have done is throw that back in their faces, and for what? To be a "loner"...

Take our advice, take a brake from DragonBall, take a break from the forum. Sort things out in your personal life, make a few friends, talk to a therapist if you have to, just be happy.
Your a nice guy, really. You just need to build yourself back up again.

When you're ready to return, you know where to go.
Thanks to SSJ God Gogeta for the avatar.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:55 am

We asked for the conversation to go one way, and it has not. While we appreciate everyone's good-natured and quite camaraderie-focused contributions that are within the spirit of the forum to a heart-warming degree, they are not what we are asking of people at this time in this particular way in this particular place.

Thanks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::