Episode #0347 (27 October 2013)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0347 (27 October 2013)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:16 pm

Episode #0347 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
53:02; 96 kbps, mono; 36.6 MB

Episode #0347! VegettoEX and Julian look back on "Dragon Ball Heroes" and its accomplishments over the last nearly-three-years. What has the game done to further the popularity and longevity of the franchise? Where does it need to head with this "new chapter" in order for it to accomplish something new? Would a new "Dragon Ball Heroes" animated series be the answer, and how could that work with a global fandom? This week's DBZ news and second "Who's That Character?!" segment round out the episode.

Referenced sites:
Enjoy the episode!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0347 (27 October 2013)

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:41 pm

I think the character was Roshi in Movie 8, but not really sure what the clip was from. Just sounds like Roshi.

Was happy to see that the official English name may be Beerus, anything that could help get rid of Bills.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:52 pm

The character is Kamesennin and, guessing by his voice, it could be from the 10th anniversary movie or GT.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:37 am

Kamesennin from Movie 13; the scene where they're grilling food outside Capsule Corp?

I'm really hoping the "Beerus" spelling is official; I like it so much better than "Bills".

I wouldn't want a DBH series (Goku is not a pokemon/duel monster T_T ) but I wouldn't hold it against Toei if they were to make one and if it were to bring in money for them.

All of this blu-ray Funi-releases dbz a 2nd time makes me all the more amazed that the U.S. Dragon Boxes ever existed in the first place. O_O

That point about Toei asking too high a price for BOG in a U.S. sounds very plausible. I do feel it's probably a combination of all three (Toei, FOX, and Funi) being unable to arrive at an agreement.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:40 am

The voice is Muten Roshi from movie 13. I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for the grill in the background. :D

EDIT: Aw, darn! Ninja'ed by Chuquita. :P

EDIT #2: I guess I should talk about the actual show now.

I'm really hoping that file name for "Beerus" turns out to be true. I'm fine with "Beers," too, but I prefer the former.

I'd really rather not have a Dragon Ball Heroes series (and not just for the sake of Julian's wallet!), but I do concede that it makes perfect marketing sense. That Disney Infinity-type game, though? I'd snatch that up in a second, especially if the figures were as high-quality as Disney's. But there'd have to be a perfect storm of effort and planning for that to be a success, like you guys mentioned.

... Actually, now that I re-read this, I'd rather not see that happen for the sake of my wallet.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:07 pm

I agree with the guess of Muten Roshi from Movie 13.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:48 am

I think that's Master Roshi from episode 14 of DragonBall. I could be wrong... I guess we'll see. :)

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:30 am

Funny, I haven't watched most of the Dragon Ball movies in years, but I started rewatching them all recently to see how they stacked up against Battle of Gods (in conclusion, I think Battle of Gods really is my favorite). So I just finished up with DBZ movie 13 today, and I'm certain I heard Kame Sennin saying that exact same line. The fact that several others have guessed the same source makes me pretty confident that it's correct. It's a pretty funny coincidence that I happened to watch that movie and listen to this episode on the same day. Otherwise, while I could have easily guessed the character, I would have had no idea about the exact source!

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:06 am

Haha, going for the characters who've had multiple voices I see- or "hear", rather. Do you plan on digging out voice clips from DBKai at some point?

Oh, and I'm pretty sure it's Kame-Sen'nin from the BBQ scene in DBZ Movie 13. Seem to recall you using this exact voice sample in another podcast episode, actually. :P Might've been this one:
http://daizex.db-destiny.net/Daizenshuu ... e_0107.mp3

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:17 am

I think it is Kamesenin from the episode of Dragon Ball where he puts out the fire with the Kamehameha at Gyumao's castle and he is making "the deal" with Bulma :shifty:

OR

Kamesenin when the gang celebrate's Turtle's Birthday and Turtle is about to blow out the candles :problem:

Red Tiger

Post by Red Tiger » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:04 pm

Hi,
The character is definitely Kame Sen'nin (voiced by Masaharu Satō) from DBZ movie 13 (barbecue scene).
Sorry for my answer being so late, i listened the podcast only today..

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Well, I guess the answer is Roshi since that's what everyone is saying. My first guess was Fortune Teller Baba. I heard pichi-pichi and got confused though. I thought maybe Baba was making fun of her younger brother.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:18 pm

Yeah, that was absolutely Satou Masaharu as the Kame-sen'nin in the thirteenth Dragon Ball Z movie.

This must be a difficult segment to do. So many of the actors are so distinct, yet at the same time if you don't know your dialogue and music placement well enoough you can confuse the character. That being said, just one of these a week isn't enough!!

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:29 pm

Great podcast and it gave me exactly what I wanted to hear. I had been somewhat privy to all the Dragon Ball Heroes information and popularity in Japan but you guys gave a really in-depth look at the current situation as well as the success of this video/card game franchise. I liked hearing you guys discuss the possibilities of this becoming a series as well and it's a thought that I've held for some time now as well.

I must say though that I am just absolutely terrible at trying to recognize the "name that character" game at the end of your podcast. I just can't for the life of me figure most of them out and it signals to me that perhaps I need to watch DB a bit more in my life (and I thought I already was...).