Manga Inconsistencies and Plotholes.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Manga Inconsistencies and Plotholes.

Post by Saiga » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:10 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
andrewtuell1991 wrote:Cell Arc: Only two people can enter ROSAT at a time.
Buu Arc: Goten, Trunks, Buu, and Piccolo all seem to fit rather nicely in there
I always thought that 2 people can enter the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and be able to live comfortably for a year (in terms of food and such) but by the time Piccolo & Buu came in the Time Chamber, it was just all fighting until they escaped.
It's specifically said that the room is set up for two, not that only two can physically be present in there.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:59 am

Goku's Kinto'un wasn't destroyed by that rocket the first time, Goku only thought so. That's why he was able to call it.
I'm pretty sure it was and was stated to be so.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:12 am

DBZ Mick wrote:
Goku's Kinto'un wasn't destroyed by that rocket the first time, Goku only thought so. That's why he was able to call it.
I'm pretty sure it was and was stated to be so.
No, the old timer in Sno's village tells him that Kinto-un can't be destroyed like that. Goku then calls for it and it returns, allowing him to continue with the General Blue portion of the arc (well before he would have even gotten to Karin's Tower for a new one). The first Kinto-un isn't destroyed until Tambourine blasts it.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:52 am

Ah, ok, thanks.
:)
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:23 am

Does the classic Buu riddle count as a plot hole? The grey sickly Buu eats the fat pink Buu and becomes a tall muscular Buu that's stronger than all of the Buus seen up to this point. The tall muscular Buu gets the fat pink Buu ripped out of his body, and instead of becoming the grey sickly Buu again, becomes an even stronger and more muscular Buu for about ten seconds before reverting to a much weaker, small, pink scrawny Buu. Neither of those last two Buus had been seen until this point, and it's never explained why Super Buu reverted to them instead of Evil Buu. Sure, there are a lot of fan theories explaining why (and I think I came up with one that works), but the mere fact that we had to make fan theories to explain it makes it an inconsistency/plot hole.

If that doesn't count, then Super Buu turning into Buff Buu before he turned into Pure Buu should at least. He should have immediately reverted to Pure Buu; transforming into Buff Buu requires him to draw on something that's not connected to him anymore.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:28 pm

Maybe there was a little bit of South Kaioshin left in him but not enough to sustain the form.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:50 pm

I've never had a problem with any of the Boo stuff. There are perfectly reasonable explanations, but even without them, he's established from the get-go as magical nonsense whose body violates all known laws of physics.

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:55 am

Saiga wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
andrewtuell1991 wrote:Cell Arc: Only two people can enter ROSAT at a time.
Buu Arc: Goten, Trunks, Buu, and Piccolo all seem to fit rather nicely in there
I always thought that 2 people can enter the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and be able to live comfortably for a year (in terms of food and such) but by the time Piccolo & Buu came in the Time Chamber, it was just all fighting until they escaped.
It's specifically said that the room is set up for two, not that only two can physically be present in there.
Okay, that makes sense. But then the question becomes, "Who the hell restocked the food that quickly between Vegeta and Trunks' stay and Gohan and Goku's stay?". Does it magically restock itself?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:44 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Does the classic Buu riddle count as a plot hole? The grey sickly Buu eats the fat pink Buu and becomes a tall muscular Buu that's stronger than all of the Buus seen up to this point. The tall muscular Buu gets the fat pink Buu ripped out of his body, and instead of becoming the grey sickly Buu again, becomes an even stronger and more muscular Buu for about ten seconds before reverting to a much weaker, small, pink scrawny Buu. Neither of those last two Buus had been seen until this point, and it's never explained why Super Buu reverted to them instead of Evil Buu. Sure, there are a lot of fan theories explaining why (and I think I came up with one that works), but the mere fact that we had to make fan theories to explain it makes it an inconsistency/plot hole.

If that doesn't count, then Super Buu turning into Buff Buu before he turned into Pure Buu should at least. He should have immediately reverted to Pure Buu; transforming into Buff Buu requires him to draw on something that's not connected to him anymore.
Toriyama was aware of what he was doing in all these cases (Vegeta wondered if removing Mr. Boo would turn Evil Boo into the skinny one, meaning that Toriyama hadn't forgotten). And as for S. Kaioshin Boo, it's not a plot-hole either, it just worked like that for some reason, since Toriyama was aware of what he was doing.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:51 am

andrewtuell1991 wrote:Okay, that makes sense. But then the question becomes, "Who the hell restocked the food that quickly between Vegeta and Trunks' stay and Gohan and Goku's stay?". Does it magically restock itself?
Mr. Popo probably had a bunch of extra food stored somewhere.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:29 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Does the classic Buu riddle count as a plot hole? The grey sickly Buu eats the fat pink Buu and becomes a tall muscular Buu that's stronger than all of the Buus seen up to this point. The tall muscular Buu gets the fat pink Buu ripped out of his body, and instead of becoming the grey sickly Buu again, becomes an even stronger and more muscular Buu for about ten seconds before reverting to a much weaker, small, pink scrawny Buu. Neither of those last two Buus had been seen until this point, and it's never explained why Super Buu reverted to them instead of Evil Buu. Sure, there are a lot of fan theories explaining why (and I think I came up with one that works), but the mere fact that we had to make fan theories to explain it makes it an inconsistency/plot hole.

Toriyama was aware of what he was doing in all these cases (Vegeta wondered if removing Mr. Boo would turn Evil Boo into the skinny one, meaning that Toriyama hadn't forgotten). And as for S. Kaioshin Boo, it's not a plot-hole either, it just worked like that for some reason, since Toriyama was aware of what he was doing.
You can't just say "Toriyama knew what was going to happen, and everything happened for some reason". If it's never explained and defies pre-established rules, it's a plot hole.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:34 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:You can't just say "Toriyama knew what was going to happen, and everything happened for some reason". If it's never explained and defies pre-established rules, it's a plot hole.
Τhe thing is, this is a special case of absorption, so the pre-established rules don't have to apply, especially when those rules already don't apply in the first place.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:37 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:You can't just say "Toriyama knew what was going to happen, and everything happened for some reason". If it's never explained and defies pre-established rules, it's a plot hole.
Τhe thing is, this is a special case of absorption, so the pre-established rules don't have to apply, especially when those rules already don't apply in the first place.
How does being "special" explain why he reverted to Buff Buu when he physically can't do so as a result of South Kaioshin not being attached to his body? He also never bothered to explain why it was special or what the specifics are, and if he never explained it, then it's a violation of internal logic that Evil Buu would randomly turn into Pure Buu.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:54 pm

It's obviously special because Boo absorbed Boo. And besides, Mr. Boo was still barely connected in Boo's system, and there is nothing saying that the Kaioshins aren't inside him anymore.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:39 pm

Buu was forcefully ripped out of(RandomGuy's own words) Buu without Buu's intentions. It's the equivalent of having your heart ripped out of you by a wild animal as opposed to planned, targeted surgery, as far as I see it.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:47 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:It's obviously special because Boo absorbed Boo. And besides, Mr. Boo was still barely connected in Boo's system, and there is nothing saying that the Kaioshins aren't inside him anymore.
I don't see how him being a Majin affects anything.

Wait, Mister Buu was still connected? Do you have any scans as proof? If so, then why did he revert at all?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:54 pm

I always thought maybe Boo turned back to his original form because they left the Fat Boo in the Evil Boo's body. Maybe that's what caused it?

-DemonRin

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:00 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:I don't see how him being a Majin affects anything.
When Pure Evil Boo absorbed Good Boo, he didn't get any characteristics from him. Instead, he got a body with muscles, and lost every trait from Dai Kaioshin, even though both of them had traits of him.
Wait, Mister Buu was still connected? Do you have any scans as proof? If so, then why did he revert at all?
Pure Boo couldn't hit Mr. Satan, until he forcibly expelled him from his body.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:01 pm

Mister Buu still wasn't connected. He was just messing around in Pure Buu's head. And if Buu wasn't connected, as he clearly wasn't, Super shouldn't have turned into Buff Buu. He should have just gone straight to Pure Buu.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:25 pm

If a small connection wasn't there, Boo wouldn't be unable to hit Mr. Satan.