The Twelve Universes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jollyr
Beyond Newbie

The Twelve Universes

Post by jollyr » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:33 pm

So in Battle Of Gods it was revealed that there are twelve universes in the Dragon Ballverse. So I was thinking and my question is are the alternate timelines created by Trunks some of those universes or alternate timelines of just one universe or something else all together? Introducing the other universes really opens up the whole franchise like times 12 and there's a lot of possibilities with them, I hope one day they go more into them

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: The Twelve Universes

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:20 am

The Chozenshu imply that all of the alternate timelines featuring the world we know Goku or his friends are from is contained in just the Seventh Universe. We have no idea what is in the other eleven.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:38 am

I think the other 11 universes are totally different from the 7th universe history and inhabitants. If every universe has its own God of Destruction, and Birus did not mention that these are alternate versions of himself, just told they are 12 Gods including him, I think these universes might not contain any of our heroes. But it would be interesting and a good material to show us them someday.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:28 am

Low Tone G wrote:Birus [...] just told they are 12 Gods including him
He never said that, he only said that there are 11 other universes, that he is the Hakaishin of the 7th Universe, and that there may be even stronger guys in these other universes.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:22 am

Just randomly saying there are 12 universes kind of feels like a cheap way to make more movies. I'm tired of the sort of "rewriting of history" all the time. Someone is the strongest in the universe, until suddenly the North Kai remembers that someone else is the strongest.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:20 am

Kid Trunks wrote:Just randomly saying there are 12 universes kind of feels like a cheap way to make more movies. I'm tired of the sort of "rewriting of history" all the time. Someone is the strongest in the universe, until suddenly the North Kai remembers that someone else is the strongest.
Welcome to the world of Dragon Ball.

But seriously, hasn't the whole series been set up to be like this? Stronger people always kept appearing and the universe kept expanding even in the manga days. It strikes me as odd that you would suddenly find universe expansion as cheap. Perhaps because it was in the form of a movie? But even then...
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:48 am

I know it's part of Dragonball, but like I said, it's something I'm tired of. The 12 universes remark just felt like the writer was like: "How about there's now 2 universes...no 5 universes...no 12 universes! Yeah, 12 universes will get us a few more movies." It just a crappy reason for more random stronger guys. I'm not saying there haven't been many crappy reasons for the same thing in the past. I'm just saying, to me, this stands out as a particularly crappy reason.

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie

Post by WesMan23 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:07 am

I think the multiple universe idea could work well, if it is implemented correctly. I mean, it could lead to some awesome world building. Excluding GT, how many times did our heroes fight enemies on another planet or location? There was Namek, and then Otherworld for a bit at the end of Z. Everything else has almost always been Earth battles. Goku and co. could go to these other universes and see what they're like, and challenge people from them. This is a good way to introduce stronger characters without it just being hand-waved. It's also a good way to introduce weaker fighters that Tenshinhan, Kuririn, Yamucha, etc. can keep up with, and they could become relevant again. If they do it right, it really could work out pretty well.
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:40 am

I don't think the revelation that there are 12 universe was planting the seed for more films, and I don't think we're going to see the others. That was just the classic Dragon Ball "No matter how good you are, there's always someone better. The world is always so much bigger than you think it is, and the adventure never ends" type of thing. It was just a really effective way to show that Goku still isn't at the top - actually, he's probably pretty far from it, accounting for the other 11 universes.

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie

Post by WesMan23 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:19 pm

Fizzer wrote:I don't think the revelation that there are 12 universe was planting the seed for more films, and I don't think we're going to see the others. That was just the classic Dragon Ball "No matter how good you are, there's always someone better. The world is always so much bigger than you think it is, and the adventure never ends" type of thing. It was just a really effective way to show that Goku still isn't at the top - actually, he's probably pretty far from it, accounting for the other 11 universes.
Yeah, but that's a major tease. Seriously. I mean, they mention that all these universes exist, but they don't expand upon it? I'm quite sure there's going to be more movies. As long as Toriyama and Nozawa are alive, so is Dragon Ball. It's a franchise that's been running nearly steady for 30 years, longer than many of us have probably been alive, and there's always room to grow with it, so I think the idea of the multiple universes actually allows the franchise to survive even longer. You don't just mention the idea and just drop it. I think that there is indeed, more to come, as far as that goes. Far too much potential to be just a throwaway remark.
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:45 pm

There's a difference between alternate timelines and alternate universes. The ones created by Cell and Trunks are alternate timelines that exist in one universe.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Here's an interesting thought:

Turles acquired his Fruits from the Tree of Might from the God of destruction of his universe.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:48 pm

TheUltimateVegito wrote:Here's an interesting thought:
Tullece acquired his Fruits from the Tree of Might from the God of destruction of his universe.
The fourth(?) Chozenshu implies that all the DBZGT stories we know that involve Goku and his friends or family take place solely within in the Seventh Universe, which would include Tullece's DBZ Movie 3. So it's part of an alternate timeline in the Seventh Universe...meaning his Hakaishin would still be Beerus.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

jollyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jollyr » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:10 am

Good answers, personally I hope to see these other universes one day but I like what Fizzer said about it being classic Dragon Ball and all that. I doubt we'll get to see them anytime soon though (except in Heroes maybe) but its a cool idea to add to the mythology.