Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Prylum

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Prylum » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:03 pm

I'm not too sure if this is considered an unpopular opinion (I imagine so) but I actually love the low-quality mono sound from the Japanese DBZ tracks. I'm aware that the Japanese broadcast audio had higher quality audio but the tracks featured on the DVD/Blu-Ray sets gives an 'old' feel to it albeit in a really pleasant kind of way. I love it

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:04 pm

Prylum wrote:I'm not too sure if this is considered an unpopular opinion (I imagine so) but I actually love the low-quality mono sound from the Japanese DBZ tracks. I'm aware that the Japanese broadcast audio had higher quality audio but the tracks featured on the DVD/Blu-Ray sets gives an 'old' feel to it albeit in a really pleasant kind of way. I love it
I actually somewhat second this opinion. I mean, I can't really compare it to the clean audio versions since I haven't really heard them, but, I did get somewhat nostalgic listening to the sound quality of the Japanese DBZ.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:46 pm

Not sure how unpopular this is but I think Cell received the most talented voice actor...in both English and Japanese!
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Patrick
Beyond Newbie

Post by Patrick » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:00 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Not sure how unpopular this is but I think Cell received the most talented voice actor...in both English and Japanese!
I didn't think this was unpopular at all. Everyone I know loves both Clarke and Wakamoto as Cell.
Zephyr wrote:Toriyama's not breaking into everyone's homes and editing your copy of the manga with a pen to include Goku's mom and this "blasphemous" information about her.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:04 pm

Always liked how Cell said Kamehameha in Japanese... Especially in Final Bout.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

DynasticHunter
Beyond Newbie

Post by DynasticHunter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:05 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Not sure how unpopular this is but I think Cell received the most talented voice actor...in both English and Japanese!
Clark is probably my favorite English VA, there's just something about his voice that really makes Cell stand out as a villain.
steam: broccoili

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:36 pm

Speaking of, my unpopular opinion is Wakamoto was only "good" in DBZ but amazing in Kai. Especially as Imperfect Cell, with those hilarious boogeyman sounds he made.

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaospunishment » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:04 am

The only time I've ever liked Schemmel as Goku is vs Frieza in Burst Limit. Too bad he's never done anywhere near as good since then.

Yamcha didn't deserve to fight the winners of the 21st and 22nd in the first proper matches

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:23 am

I haven't heard Cell's Japanese voice in Kai, so I can't say.
chaospunishment wrote:Yamcha didn't deserve to fight the winners of the 21st and 22nd in the first proper matches
That's kind of the whole point though, that he got really unlucky with his tournament battles.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaospunishment » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:35 am

I know, he deserved better though nonetheless

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:37 am

Ian Corlett's Goku, second to only the Big Green Goku, is the most generic sounding of all the English VA's who have played him.

Still like him in the role though as he's my third favourite Goku VA.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:31 am

Prylum wrote:I'm not too sure if this is considered an unpopular opinion (I imagine so) but I actually love the low-quality mono sound from the Japanese DBZ tracks. I'm aware that the Japanese broadcast audio had higher quality audio but the tracks featured on the DVD/Blu-Ray sets gives an 'old' feel to it albeit in a really pleasant kind of way. I love it
I literally always felt the exact same way which is part why I don't mind the film grain and slight burn marks on the video that might show up.. It helps give it that "old" vibe that I love.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:02 am

I like Trunks and Goten's Gt appearance.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:37 am

I don't even care about how old it sounds. I just love that gritty feeling it gives the fights!
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Mystic Buu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystic Buu » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:44 am

TheGmGoken wrote:I like Trunks and Goten's Gt appearance.
Wow,that's really unpopular.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:34 pm

Their appearance doesn't bother me at all, although I greatly prefer Goten's end of Z look, what bothers me the most about GT is how little every non-Goku or Vegeta character get to do at all in the whole series.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:06 pm

Gonstead wrote:Ian Corlett's Goku, second to only the Big Green Goku, is the most generic sounding of all the English VA's who have played him.

Still like him in the role though as he's my third favourite Goku VA.
I like Corlett as Goku. And this might even be more unpopular, but here it goes: I like Kirby Murrow too.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:21 pm

I actually like how they implemented Haiya Dragon into Movie 5. He actually seemed to have a purpose in that movie (having him do the flying to avoid the scouters). In Movies 3 and 4, he's unfortunately only there to look cute and give Gohan an ineffective rage boost.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:54 pm

TheOverlyMadHatter wrote:I actually like how they implemented Haiya Dragon into Movie 5. He actually seemed to have a purpose in that movie (having him do the flying to avoid the scouters). In Movies 3 and 4, he's unfortunately only there to look cute and give Gohan an ineffective rage boost.
Actually, in Movie 4, Gohan's whistling dance with Haiya Dragon gives Piccolo the idea of how to hurt Slug.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:58 am

I like the English dub soundtrack way more the Japanese soundtrack :shh:
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks