Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:30 am

They shouldn't be releasing the Season Blu-rays so quickly or else they'll be looking at another re-release of Dragon Ball Z again (probably around 2015).

With so many great anime gems out there it's a shame that FUNimation can't just release the definitive edition of DBZ (Dragon Box Z in fat-packs) and move on to those ones.

Discotek is doing is so FUNimation could do it too.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:09 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Funimation July releases:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/php ... ?p=4229583
No DBZ S6 :(. Then again this isn't final so fingers crossed.
And, of course, still no Evangelion 3.33.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

MasterVampire
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MasterVampire » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:00 am

Guys do the new blu-rays have the USA music track?

I allways like that one better.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:02 am

MasterVampire wrote:Guys do the new blu-rays have the USA music track?

Yes, they do have the dub with both the Faulconer/Menza soundtracks and the Kikuchi soundtrack.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:07 am

Vegard Aune wrote:

Yes, they do have the dub with both the Faulconer/Johnson soundtracks and the Kikuchi soundtrack.
Fixed that for you, but like Vegard Aune said MasterVampire the new Blu-ray sets have the dub with the english music as an audio option.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:17 am

Saiyan arc - Nathan Johnson
Early Freeza arc - Nathan Johnson
Later Freeza arc - Faulconer Productions
Cell to Majin Boo arc - Faulconer Productions

The fans themselves of the US music for Dragon Ball Z don't even know who composed them, they just assume it was Faulconer Productions (more so Bruce Faulconer than the rest of the team) for everything. :?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:15 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Saiyan arc - Nathan Johnson
Early Freeza arc - Nathan Johnson
Later Freeza arc - Faulconer Productions
Cell to Majin Boo arc - Faulconer Productions

The fans themselves of the US music for Dragon Ball Z don't even know who composed them, they just assume it was Faulconer Productions (more so Bruce Faulconer than the rest of the team) for everything. :?
I don't really consider that a big deal though. How many people go out of their way to figure out who composed a soundtrack for this or that? :P That'd be like me watching Tom & Jerry and wondering who did the music in the background haha some people just aren't worried about knowing that info.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:00 am

Dragon Ball Z has like three different musical scores (original, 1x Canadian, 1x American) so it's not sufficient to just say "US score" because this for example was composed by two composers and then the Ending by Mark Menza (I think), so that's three in total.

There's nothing wrong knowing and for fans of it being unaware doesn't really help them very much.

By the way, the quality of this YouTube "remastered" DBZ Season DVD video looks similar to the Season BDs done by a professional company. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB45FE6y_wg
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:36 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:They shouldn't be releasing the Season Blu-rays so quickly or else they'll be looking at another re-release of Dragon Ball Z again (probably around 2015).

With so many great anime gems out there it's a shame that FUNimation can't just release the definitive edition of DBZ (Dragon Box Z in fat-packs) and move on to those ones.

Discotek is doing is so FUNimation could do it too.
Rereleasing DBZ doesn't preclude them from releasing other stuff. If it still sells, that gives them the capital to release even more stuff.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:21 pm

@Abed it isn't like they wouldn't have more Dragon Ball Z content to release on DVD there's still a lot that could receive an DVD treatment but it's been forgotten even by Toei Animation.

Like for example, the Summer Vacation Special and Gaiden Specials (Earth & Universe) these never got released on DVD which is a shame.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:22 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Like for example, the Summer Vacation Special and Gaiden Specials (Earth & Universe) these never got released on DVD which is a shame.
Both parts of Dragon Ball Z: Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans was released with Dragon Box Z Vol. #2.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:30 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:@Abed it isn't like they wouldn't have more Dragon Ball Z content to release on DVD there's still a lot that could receive an DVD treatment but it's been forgotten even by Toei Animation.

Like for example, the Summer Vacation Special and Gaiden Specials (Earth & Universe) these never got released on DVD which is a shame.
I don't see how that precludes them from being released. A reason the titles you mentioned might not be released is they don't think there's a market for it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:40 pm

But the market already has tons of Dragon Ball Z releases so everyone can pick their favourite it's true that they'll still make money with another re-release though that doesn't bring nothing new to the table.

[VHS] Cassettes
[DVD] Singles
[DVD] Ultimate Uncut Edition
[DVD] Orange Bricks
[DVD] Dragon Box Z
[BD] Level Blu-rays
[BD] Season Blu-rays

Rock the Dragon Edition (DVD) doesn't really count as a re-release (yeah it's episodes 1-53 + films 1-3 with film 3's edited TV dub) because it's more of a collection of its own as it shows itself to be.

3D Blu-ray release of DBZ is a waste because hardly anyone owns a 3DTV and it's becoming once again dead tech so if they do release Dragon Ball Z on Blu-ray it'll just be in its standard 1080p HD mode (2D).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:49 pm

...who the fuck said anything about a 3D release?
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:04 pm

bkev wrote:...who the fuck said anything about a 3D release?
I don't think anyone has seriously mentioned it, but the general idea has been postulated before.

It is a bad prediction though, 3D has gone by the wayside these last few years (both in theaters and in home media releases).
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:49 pm

I'm curious: After the Ginyu Force arrives, does the show revert to the original late 90s dub of DBZ (Season 3 of Orange bricks). Or has there been an attempt to re-dub it so that's it's similar to the quality seen in the remastered Saiyan arc/Buu arc?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:58 pm

Aoi wrote:I'm curious: After the Ginyu Force arrives, does the show revert to the original late 90s dub of DBZ (Season 3 of Orange bricks). Or has there been an attempt to re-dub it so that's it's similar to the quality seen in the remastered Saiyan arc/Buu arc?
With the exception of Vegeta, Ginyu (frog mode) and Dende I think the rest of the dub is unchanged in S3, which is shame since Sean's Goku sounds pretty weak(compared with S1&2), no Idea why FUNI didn't redub him.
Edit: Of course Krillin is re-dubed too. Also some other minor characters were re-dubbed too.

MasterVampire
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MasterVampire » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:46 pm

superrayman3 wrote:
Vegard Aune wrote:

Yes, they do have the dub with both the Faulconer/Johnson soundtracks and the Kikuchi soundtrack.
Fixed that for you, but like Vegard Aune said MasterVampire the new Blu-ray sets have the dub with the english music as an audio option.
Sweet!

Where is the cheapest place to buy?
Amazon?
Oh Amazon isn't region free so it wont work in my Australian PS4 :(

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:00 pm

If you have an Austrailian console, just wait for Madman to release the Blu-Ray Seasons over in that territory. I believe they've already announced that they'll be doing so soon.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:16 pm

they are region A/B.