Purchase Advice: Battle Stadium D.O.N. gamecube or ps2

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Purchase Advice: Battle Stadium D.O.N. gamecube or ps2

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:02 pm

So after hearing a super old podcast on playing Japanese games on US systems it made me really want to get Battle Stadium D.O.N., but I don't know the best options for me. Whichever version I buy, I'm also going to need to buy the console for the game so I need to figure out that too...seeing as how I'm not comfortable messing with my old PS2 or gamecube like the podcast discussed. I love the gamecube controller especially for smash bros. so I am leaning more heavily in that direction.

So if anyone has any advice or can answer these questions, that would be great! Thanks in advance!

Here's my general inquiry:
Is the gameplay better on gamecube or PS2?
Will my gamecube controllers purchased in the US work on a Japanese gamecube?
Will my PS2 controllers purchased in the US work on a Japanese PS2?
Will my 4 player splitter purchased in the US work on a Japanese PS2?
Are there any other Japanese exclusive games for Dragon Ball that is more prevalent on one system than the other?
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Purchase Advice: Battle Stadium D.O.N. gamecube or ps2

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Controllers have been cross-region-compatible for a few generations now. No worries on that front. Whatever you have will work. The four-player multitap thing should work fine, as well.

The "Freeloader" Gamecube disc I bought years ago is no longer in stock on Play-Asia, but it might be a relatively easy find if you dig around...? A quick search on eBay turns quite a few up at a bit higher of a price than I anticipated, but you might be able to score a deal with a Freeloader + game combo. I see a few people selling Japanese-only Naruto games that come with the Freeloader disc, too. Just note that the Freeloader disc has three different versions for three different regions, so if you have a North American Gamecube and want to play foreign games on it, you'll need the Freeloader coded for North America.

In terms of Japanese versions of games, the JP version of Super Dragon Ball Z is just as cheap as the American one. American release = dub voices only + one replaced music track (and the opening, I think?). European release = JP voices only + not sure about any replaced music tracks. JP version = obviously JP voices and no changed music tracks! If you already know the music saga of the Sparking! games (and I'm going to presume you do! :D), then that's that. Nothing else is really more prevalent of different or anything like that, other than perhaps the Kuriza costume and extra stage in Dragon Ball Z 2.

Most of the stuff only really ever came out for one console at a time, so there's not much in the way of differences. The Gamecube port of Dragon Ball Z (Budokai 1) did have slightly cel-shaded graphics a la the second game, though, as opposed to the standard textured models of the original version. That's... something? :)

There's always the Dragon Ball Z 2 V holy grail if you want to go after that for a few hundred dollars.

I feel like getting the Gamecube version of Battle Stadium D.O.N. might be the easiest...? Just gotta get the Freeloader. I never bothered with modding or chipping or swiping or whatever the kids did with their PS2, 'cuz I'm lazy. I just bought a damn JP model of the system :P. Someone else can chime in on that.

Gameplay's totally the same between the two versions/systems.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:06 pm

For the record, if you have a wii, it's very easy to go region-free. You don't need to buy a freeloader, there's homebrew software that does the work for that now. So, based on that alone, the Gamecube version is more economically sound. Can't comment as to the gameplay differences between the two consoles, though.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Modding a U.S. PS2 wasn't difficult. I had a "swap magic disc", but you had to load it then swap out the disc itself with the JP game you were playing without the PS2 being aware that it was being opened. I had a PS2 slim, so I stuffed the slots where the disc tray cover hooks would go with tissue, prop the disc out ever so gently with a card or something, and gently place the game in. It worked 95% of the time... there were times where the tray cover would just burst open if moved abruptly.

The swap magic usually were bundled with a modded PS2 Slim tray cover (there was a lid in the center of the cover to take the disc out) on Play-Asisa but that was years ago.

As far as which version is better, couldn't tell you. Played both, but it's easier to play with 4 people in the gamecube version.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:15 pm

Oh derp, forgot about the Wii option. Yeah, running some homebrew on that is safe and easy! Got all your Gamecube ports 'n such. Even if you need to buy a Wii to do so, it might be your cheapest option! Just make sure you don't buy that Wii Mini, 'cuz it doesn't have the hardware support you need.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:52 pm

I have it on GameCube and the standard controller is terrible for the game. Pressing a direction on the stick makes you run instead of walking which is really important problem for all the airdashing characters. The dpad ain't made for for playing this game so you really need some kind of controller converter thigamajig if ya wanna play with a decent control of your character.

PS2 version would likely be the better option for control but you'll need a swapmagic or something.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:06 pm

bkev wrote:For the record, if you have a wii, it's very easy to go region-free. You don't need to buy a freeloader, there's homebrew software that does the work for that now. So, based on that alone, the Gamecube version is more economically sound. Can't comment as to the gameplay differences between the two consoles, though.
VegettoEX wrote:Oh derp, forgot about the Wii option. Yeah, running some homebrew on that is safe and easy! Got all your Gamecube ports 'n such. Even if you need to buy a Wii to do so, it might be your cheapest option! Just make sure you don't buy that Wii Mini, 'cuz it doesn't have the hardware support you need.
Y'all rock! I'm gonna get it and play it on the wii :mrgreen:
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:20 pm

Ok...so now I bought it, where do I get the "homebrew" software?

How I enjoy the anime:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:42 pm

I'd recommend the NGC version because the gameplay feels so fluid, fast pace and a lot like Melee (although not 1:1) there's no reason why not to and you don't need to waste any money with hacking the console as simply activating the Homebrew on your Wii will allow you to play games from anywhere.

Here's the link http://hackmii.com/ and the instructions are extremely easy to follow so you won't brick it by any chance.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:31 am

so I tried homebrew (check)
then i tried to make it region free through startpatch and it stopped downloading...i'm too afraid to unplug...did I brick my wii?

How I enjoy the anime:

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:39 am

Somehow everything is fine...I have 0 idea what I am doing, so any help would be great! Just PM me.

How I enjoy the anime:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:42 pm

Hold both buttons ON & Disc when booting it up then a screen will appear which you can choose what to enable and not.

Anyway, I hope that Nintendo makes the GamePad of my Wii U playable for Wii games because then I'd consider hacking the Wii Mode.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:58 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Hold both buttons ON & Disc when booting it up then a screen will appear which you can choose what to enable and not.

Anyway, I hope that Nintendo makes the GamePad of my Wii U playable for Wii games because then I'd consider hacking the Wii Mode.
Thanks for your help!! I won't be able to try it for several hours, but as soon as I can I'll let you know how it goes, thanks again.

How I enjoy the anime:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:38 pm

Skip to 1:14 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUFfi5dR90Q

If you want to make your Wii go straight to the Homebrew Channel you can so there'll be no need to use the Wiimote at all, unless you play games it requires it.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:39 am

I cannot get it to work. I have the homebrew channel on my wii, but that rest thing did not bring me to that screen. :(
Any suggestions?
Thanks again for all your help

How I enjoy the anime:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:17 am

What method did you use to hack your Wii? And the Wii you have has the memory card slot and GameCube controller slot?

In case it doesn't have any of these slots it's not compatible with NGC games any more.

Compatible:

Incompatible:

I've gotta say I'll someday buy a Wii Mini because it looks so cool and Famicom-ish, but to play? Nope.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:59 am

yeah my wii is first generation; only system I have ever waited in line for to get on a day of release lol :mrgreen: love me some Zelda!...and Smash Bros obviously.

I used the http://please.hackmii.com/ letter bomb approach.

:idea: the other wii does not have gamecube ports!? That sucks that's by far my most favorite controller of any console ever.

How I enjoy the anime:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:57 am

Then everything should be working perfectly for you since you've done as instructed and got a BC-NGC console.

I'd recommend you to visit http://gbatemp.net they're very helpful for Nintendo & Wii hacking.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:47 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Then everything should be working perfectly for you since you've done as instructed and got a BC-NGC console.

I'd recommend you to visit http://gbatemp.net they're very helpful for Nintendo & Wii hacking.
hmmm... what I might do then is wipe the SD card clean then redo the letterbomb stuff and see if the result is different. I got the 4.3 update so maybe that makes a difference.

How I enjoy the anime:

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Thank you all for your help and support! Because of y'all I was able to reload the stuff properly, and see that the hang up was (did not correctly install priiloader on the SD card :oops: )...so now all I need is the game to get here in a couple of weeks :mrgreen: Thanks again! I love the Kanzenshuu community :D

How I enjoy the anime: