Buu Saga Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EmmaWinters

Re: Buu Saga Kai

Post by EmmaWinters » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:15 pm

I'd also like a source on her alleged claim.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Details about it can be found here.

Specifically:
Nozawa goes on to say that the series will air for a year, and that the episode count has been “halved” from the original 92 in Dragon Ball Z. Whether this means there will be exactly 46 episodes or somewhere around that number is unclear.
It was posted in Nikkan Sports but was removed.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:26 pm

It would be nice from going 167 episodes to 142 episodes in total although considering the fact that Toei Animation states 69 episodes on their episode it goes against Ms. Masako Nozawa's word.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:56 pm

I suppose it boils down to which you value more, the company-in-charge's word, or the voice actress' approximation. I'm surprised it's even debatable, though again I'll say that I hope I'm wrong.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:08 pm

I don't think Nozawa is trying to be deceptive, she's just giving some vague estimation. She's a voice actor, she's not in charge of the number of episodes in the series.

I'm sure recording less than she had to for Z probably felt like only half. :lol:
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:15 pm

It's not like she's being literal. Saying 'cut in half' is exactly in line with what someone would say about a condensed project.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:41 pm

penguintruth wrote:I don't think Nozawa is trying to be deceptive, she's just giving some vague estimation. She's a voice actor, she's not in charge of the number of episodes in the series.

I'm sure recording less than she had to for Z probably felt like only half. :lol:
Erm, she's a voice actress not a voice actor. :?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:51 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I don't think Nozawa is trying to be deceptive, she's just giving some vague estimation. She's a voice actor, she's not in charge of the number of episodes in the series.

Erm, she's a voice actress not a voice actor. :?
Are you really going to be that pedantic?

Deadtuber.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:58 pm

It bugs me that people call voice actresses as "voice actors" even though "actor" is the male and "actress" is the female. It ain't that hard to get it right.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:00 pm

Why? It's not something that's set in stone.

Some prefer actor whilst others prefer actress. I don't think it's something you need to 'correct' someone on.

Deadtuber.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:04 pm

I thought it was progressive to use "actor" as gender neutral. It's why I used it. I even stopped for a moment and almost changed it back to actress before I submitted.

From now on I'll use the sterile "voice performer".

What the f*** are we doing debating this?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:23 pm

Hell, my ex-fiancee, who was a theatre student, hated the term "actress." Thought it sounded demeaning. Refused to be called anything other than an actor.

Gender is just a bunch of rules made up by society. It doesn't really mean anything. As long as you're being respectful, what does it really matter if the gender is right?

But that's neither here nor there.

On-topic, I don't see what the tizzy over this is. Nozawa obviously made an off-hand estimation. Why is it being taken as exact gospel?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:06 pm

The same way that when Toriyama mused that it would be neat if Vegeta was the focus of the next DBZ movie, should there be one, everybody is now expecting Vegeta: The Movie.

Can I get a Schemen?

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:11 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:It bugs me that people call voice actresses as "voice actors" even though "actor" is the male and "actress" is the female. It ain't that hard to get it right.
I don't think i've heard anyone say Actress for years. Media and the film industry ditched that and just stayed with Actor. He is an Actor, She is an Actor. The only ones I think still use the term Actress is in the award ceremonies.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:26 pm

Three Blu-ray and DVD boxes are set for release. The series will run at least up to Episode #134.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:25 am

JulieYBM wrote:Three Blu-ray and DVD boxes are set for release. The series will run at least up to Episode #134.
So 34 episodes? That's actually pretty sweet if it's how long the "Season 3" will be of Dragon Ball Kai!

Still, if only they could fix that mediocre soundtrack on the home releases as well as the green tint. :|
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:28 am

It's likely that there are more boxes to follow. Hopefully it won't be another three.

It royally sucks that there'll be no 4:3 version.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:30 am

Fizzer wrote:It's likely that there are more boxes to follow. Hopefully it won't be another three.

Funimation might release it in 4:3 to be the same as the other 4 seasons
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:37 am

Fizzer wrote:It's likely that there are more boxes to follow. Hopefully it won't be another three.

Yeah wishful thinking it'd be only 34 episodes. :P
sintzu wrote:Funimation might release it in 4:3 to be the same as the other 4 seasons
Because at that time Toei Animation was also releasing DBK in fullscreen on Blu-ray, although the DVD edition was widescreen.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:41 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:

Yeah wishful thinking it'd be only 34 episodes. :P
sintzu wrote:Funimation might release it in 4:3 to be the same as the other 4 seasons
Because at that time Toei Animation was also releasing DBK in fullscreen on Blu-ray, although the DVD edition was widescreen.
And the dvd's from funimation were in fullscreen so theres a big chnace that it will stay the same with this arc
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.