Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by Fizzer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:31 am

Gokuden wrote: I have a feeling we will be seeing more attempts to reinvigorate the series after the season sets. Yes, I meant the full image on the filmstock, minus the black outer edges... Once upon a time, I hope North America will get the great DragonBall in HD. There's never been any attempt to bring that yet, other than a strange poll.
It'll probably be a while until we get another change to get something nice. There's always a load of people going "Dragon Ball stuff again?!" every time they announce a new release anyway.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:32 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:It would've been cool if FUNimation included Season Books on this DBZ Season Blu-ray release too but it's a budget release so no surprise it didn't.
I believe FUNi has downloadable copies of them on their websites
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:08 am

ABED wrote:I believe FUNi has downloadable copies of them on their websites
They do but it's just so much nicer to have the physical copies of it, they're pretty much the best thing about the Orange Bricks.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:16 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
ABED wrote:I believe FUNi has downloadable copies of them on their websites
They do but it's just so much nicer to have the physical copies of it, they're pretty much the best thing about the Orange Bricks.
Which, I might add, no longer come with the books. It's a budget-conscious/environmental choice they make.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:35 am

bkev wrote:Which, I might add, no longer come with the books. It's a budget-conscious/environmental choice they make.
I mention that too before.

I'm surprised FUNimation haven't yet started using DVD fat-packs for the newer copies of the Blue/Orange/Green Bricks as it's a lot cheaper than using Paper Boxes, plus they're more protective.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:48 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
bkev wrote:Which, I might add, no longer come with the books. It's a budget-conscious/environmental choice they make.

I'm surprised FUNimation haven't yet started using DVD fat-packs for the newer copies of the Blue/Orange/Green Bricks as it's a lot cheaper than using Paper Boxes, plus they're more protective.
Do you have any photographic examples for those DVD fat-packs you mentioned? A google search is doing me no good. :lol:
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:56 am

UK release:

Seasons 1 & 2 are imported but the rest are of the UK edition by Manga UK.

Credits: Photos from Amazon gallery.

P.S.: Manga UK also released DBGT Green Bricks in this type of packaging as well as the Banana Bricks (Saga sets) are coming out, first one starting on May 5.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:33 pm

The UK Season 8 cover looks way better than the U.S version.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:57 pm

Plastic's cheaper than paper?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:19 pm

ABED wrote:Plastic's cheaper than paper?
Paper is the lesser of those two evils but what's the one type of packaging that Madman/Manga UK use for their anime releases? Plastic DVD fat-packs because it probably costs them than having to print out Paper boxes + Colour ink for all + Disc plastic holders + Discs + Pamphlets.

Manga UK for example tries to include physically as little as possible so that they can cut costs but earlier they actually did have slipcovers though that's a thing of the past for them, except there's an exception sometimes.

Madman used to have their own Orange Bricks' booklets but for the later prints they stopped, Manga UK on the other hand didn't even have them at all.

Edit: Take a look below and see which one cuts the costs more.

Madman/Manga packaging:

FUNimation packaging:

Not counting the front cover and slipcover which are more too.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:44 pm

Yeah, the later releases of the US Orange Bricks lacked the booklets as well. I only have them from season 1-6.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Fri May 02, 2014 9:32 am

Fizzer wrote:
Gokuden wrote: I have a feeling we will be seeing more attempts to reinvigorate the series after the season sets. Yes, I meant the full image on the filmstock, minus the black outer edges... Once upon a time, I hope North America will get the great DragonBall in HD. There's never been any attempt to bring that yet, other than a strange poll.
It'll probably be a while until we get another change to get something nice. There's always a load of people going "Dragon Ball stuff again?!" every time they announce a new release anyway.
On that note, did we ever find out if the Dragon Ball Z season Blu-Ray release from Madman is of better quality than Funimation's? :?:
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Fri May 02, 2014 10:48 am

Gokuden wrote:On that note, did we ever find out if the Dragon Ball Z season Blu-Ray release from Madman is of better quality than Funimation's? :?:
Madman don't like making their own Blu-Rays, they're probably the exact same discs as the Funimation ones.

In fact, they ran into some trouble with that with Soul Eater a few years ago.
Last edited by SaiyamanMS on Fri May 02, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 02, 2014 10:53 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:
Gokuden wrote:On that note, did we ever find out if the Dragon Ball Z season Blu-ray release from Madman is of better quality than Funimation's? :?:
Madman don't like making their own Blu-rays, they're probably the exact same discs as the Funimation ones.
They did make their own Dragon Ball: Saga Sets on DVD, though, but perhaps re-authoring the Season BDs just isn't worth the trouble because it's also Region B compatible. I'm gonna guess that they did the minimum and just add their logo to it at the beginning.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Fri May 02, 2014 10:55 am

Madman obviously do their own DVDs, doing their own Blu-Rays on the other hand is incredibly rare for them.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 02, 2014 11:00 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:Madman obviously do their own DVDs, doing their own Blu-Rays on the other hand is incredibly rare for them.
Maybe it's for the better that they don't because with Dragon Ball's SS they badly authored an episode which made it skip to a different scene of another episode.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri May 02, 2014 2:06 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:Madman obviously do their own DVDs, doing their own Blu-Rays on the other hand is incredibly rare for them.
Maybe it's for the better that they don't because with Dragon Ball's SS they badly authored an episode which made it skip to a different scene of another episode.
It would have been nice to have a shot at BDs with better colours and slightly turned-down filters though. That's what it looked like they were doing, at first.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:03 am

Ordered Season 3 :) It's going to take me forever to watch all of these lol I'm on Season 5 of Dragonball and I usually try to watch the series at-least once a year or year and half. :P I still haven't watched all the Level Sets haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat May 03, 2014 9:58 am

Fizzer wrote:It would have been nice to have a shot at BDs with better colours and slightly turned-down filters though. That's what it looked like they were doing, at first.
Unless Madman were given the source material to go around editing the colours, then that'd be possible, but the screenshots provided on their website have been downscaled which makes them look better (imo). It's probably the same thing as the US Blu-rays without any picture quality differences.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sun May 04, 2014 11:15 am

Thanks gaiz, I guess on one hand I'm glad I don't have to return the Funi sets I bought, but I'm kinda disappointed in the fact that there's not really much competition among releases. :(
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.