Cell as a good guy?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:03 am

Well I always remember the part when he first announces to Mirai Trunks about the tournament he wants to hold. Trunks asks him why he's doing all this and he talks about enjoying the look of terror on his victims' faces. Then as Trunks looks horrified at his answer, he excitedly exclaims that "that's the exact look right there" he was talking about. Seeing stuff like that indicates to me that he's not in any way salvageable.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:59 am

Also him saying he would kill every living being on Earth after the Cell Games.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:06 pm

Yeah, there's not much hope for Cell turning to the light side, if ya ask me. He was calm, cool, and sophisticated, alright, but still way evil. And not just cuz' he wanted to or anything, he was frikkin' programmed to be evil.

(P.S. - Back to lovely, double-digit temperatures Jersey after two months in Arizona! Yay!)
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:24 pm

Considering Piccolo, Vegeta, #18 and Majin Boo all became good guys, I don't think it's impossible to think.

Sure you say Cell would never be a good guy, but if it never happened, people would probably say similar things about those mentioned above.

As for the programmed to be evil thing. In that regard, he isn't really that much different than Piccolo Junior, is he?

I think the only person that was absolutely proven to be completely unsalvagably evil was Freeza. (And there's the pure Majin Boo, but whether it's absorbing a benevolent being or being reincarnated as someone else, he came around)

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:36 pm

Nah, I think Cell was beyond redemption. He didn't really want to rule anything, he just wanted to destroy. He also mentions something about having Freeza's cells in him makes him crave destruction. I didn't think it was possible to convert Cell to the good guys.
"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?"-- Captain America

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:57 pm

GI_Judd2287 wrote:He didn't really want to rule anything, he just wanted to destroy.
As did King Piccolo. He wanted to rule the world just to terrorize the population and then one after one kill every human existing.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:41 pm

Godo wrote:
GI_Judd2287 wrote:He didn't really want to rule anything, he just wanted to destroy.
As did King Piccolo. He wanted to rule the world just to terrorize the population and then one after one kill every human existing.
And I believe The Great Demon King would never have been converted to the good side. His reincarnate, however, is quite another story, eh? Though quite similar, they were not the same. Junior was much more calm, collected, patient, and focused (and powerful) than his predecessor.

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:08 pm

Duo wrote:And I believe The Great Demon King would never have been converted to the good side. His reincarnate, however, is quite another story, eh? Though quite similar, they were not the same. Junior was much more calm, collected, patient, and focused (and powerful) than his predecessor.
Plus, Piccolo Junior didn't want to hurt anybody. He even saves a child from a chunk of a falling building, before the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. However, I don't know if that was filler, or his traditional first appearence in the manga. (Well, besides baby, really evil Piccolo Junior, but I'm sure most of that's filler.)
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:24 am

veshira wrote: Plus, Piccolo Junior didn't want to hurt anybody. He even saves a child from a chunk of a falling building, before the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. However, I don't know if that was filler, or his traditional first appearence in the manga. (Well, besides baby, really evil Piccolo Junior, but I'm sure most of that's filler.)
Yes, that was all filler, but at least it makes me somewhat want to watch the DragonBall anime (I've only read the Manga).

But hey, if Godo takes that stuff as Canon, more power to my point!

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:28 am

Duo wrote:
veshira wrote: Plus, Piccolo Junior didn't want to hurt anybody. He even saves a child from a chunk of a falling building, before the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. However, I don't know if that was filler, or his traditional first appearence in the manga. (Well, besides baby, really evil Piccolo Junior, but I'm sure most of that's filler.)
Yes, that was all filler, but at least it makes me somewhat want to watch the DragonBall anime (I've only read the Manga).

But hey, if Godo takes that stuff as Canon, more power to my point!
Unfortunately not. I'm a manga guy! :)

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:20 pm

I've said many times that out of all the major villians, Cell looks like the most likely canidate to be a 'hero'. But looking at Cell, he seems to be the ultimate villian: not only he knows most of the major technique, he can regenerate, and he can even get a boost of power after a near death experience.

From there you would think there couldn't be anyone else to top that. That's probably why Cell was created to end of the series;the seemingly impossible foe to defeat. That's probably why they threw that ability for Buu.
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:16 am

Mr.Piccolo wrote:I've said many times that out of all the major villians, Cell looks like the most likely canidate to be a 'hero'. But looking at Cell, he seems to be the ultimate villian: not only he knows most of the major technique, he can regenerate, and he can even get a boost of power after a near death experience.

From there you would think there couldn't be anyone else to top that. That's probably why Cell was created to end of the series;the seemingly impossible foe to defeat. That's probably why they threw that ability for Buu.
Yeah, I noticed that. Why give more than one villain the ability to regenerate, anyway? It was cool with Piccolo, Cell, and Buu, all three, sure, but it got to the point where I was thinking, "... Are they gonna make this a mandatory trait, or something?" It's as if the newer villains just didn't cut it against Goku and company as time went on, so Toriyama threw in the regeneration ability to complicate the conflicts. I'm pretty sure Toei did this for a couple of GT villains as well. D:

And, ya know, somebody can be one of the most intelligent, polite, and sophisticated (dare I say civilized?) people on the planet and still be incredibly evil. Take, for instance, villains like Lex Luthor, Hannibal Lecter (sp?), and Raito from Death Note. All extremely smart, and to some extent would be nice people to talk to as long as none of them decide to kill you (and if you can stand being disturbed by the beliefs underlying the things that they do). In my opinion, these kinds of antagonists are the most interesting; they show you that evil isn't confined to mindless brutes but also manifests itself in more potent and deceptive forms. I think Cell ranks right up there with them as one of the more personality-driven bad guys.

Wow... this sounds like a good idea to write on for my senior thesis... and the thing's not even due for another three years. :lol:
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?