"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE" (PS4/XB1/PS3/360) Official Threa

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:14 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:if this game flops its going to hurt Dimps more than anything. Expectations were set too high for Dimps to make another disposable casual-friendly trial. Namco still doesnt realize that people don't want a sloppy game to drink to, we want a game that we can actually be proud to play.
If they were to release this game also for the Wii U and Vita perhaps they'd blame these two systems as to why the game'd be doing so poorly, but given that it's going to be on 360/PS3/PS4/XO then there's no reason for that, except if the customers are unsatisfied with the game then by that time Bandai Namco really needs to look into it and realise they're doing something wrong. That being, trying to force Dimps into making a Tenkaichi game.

Seriously just let Dimps do their magic and no one'll complain, Bandai Namco.
Namco seems either obvlivious or too arrogant to see the problems for what they actually are and even Treevax admitted Namco was poorly handling development choices lately. They still insist on alienating the fanbase they know they cant please with gimmicks. I'm afraid that Dimps isnt using their strengths for this game but struggling to make something Spike already did. They will just proceed to conclude we are unpleasable and ungrateful, then throw Dimps out again and get a cheaper hand to make Battle of Z2. The Over-Shoulder gimmick must be kept alive at all costs to milk the people that still remember BT3.
Though this game honestly does not look like a Ps4 title. Not even graphically. It looks last gen. Though DBZ games have always looked substandard as the graphics since RB were never utilizing the hardware they were on. This only shows it. By now we're at near photo realistic graphics, this game looks like a Burst limit HD. Not ugly at all, but - doesnt visually blow me away. Then again if this was Spike it would have looked like RB2.5 at best.
Gameplay however is iffy, it looks decent at best. Nothing looks remotely competitive from the animations being so stiff. My hype goes down day by day. I could be paranoid but I'm worried for Dimps' sake. I don't want to go into a regression where if this game flops people will start wanting Spike back... because I can see that happening.
Flame Dragon wrote:At least if this game proves to be better than Budokai Tenkaichi 3, then we'll finally know that Spike was just lucky.
I wouldnt go that far yet. BT3 was at least a fluid game with a range of combo options, even if simplistic. It at least felt like DBZ most of the time.
Its Raging Blast this game clearly beats, though I don't get why people on youtube would rather RB3 over this when it wouldn't do anything better. If they used Treevax's ideas solely, it wouldnt be a Raging Blast game. It would be at better use being put into this game.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:55 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:I could be paranoid but I'm worried for Dimps' sake. I don't want to go into a regression where if this game flops people will start wanting Spike back... because I can see that happening.
Honestly, if anyone would go down that road they're simply being moronic because it's not Dimps' fault as to how the game's turning out to be, Bandai Namco gave them an idea of what they wanted to develop and therefore they're doing as such.

We all know that Dimps' is a high quality development team and I think if it were up to them that we'd be getting Burst Limit 2 or Budokai IV rather than this as their strength to make fighting games is SF-type (they pretty much nailed it with the revised editions of SF IV).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Zenkashuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkashuu » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:00 am

sintzu wrote:Treevax had an interview with them but he haesn't put it up yet [..]
Did he say that had an interview with the devs? Can I have a link?

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked his facebook page. So we're waiting...

kidtrunksssj
Beyond Newbie

Post by kidtrunksssj » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:49 am

https://twitter.com/WeeklySaiyan/status ... 80/photo/1
Possibility of the 126 playable characters in dragonball xenoverse.
“Too much FANTASY loses REALITY, too much HOPE may seem somehow EMPTY.”
Akira Toriyama

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:26 am

kidtrunksssj wrote:https://twitter.com/WeeklySaiyan/status ... 80/photo/1
If that's true then transformations must be counted as sepret charecters or they made a lot of original ones or they put evryone in from Db to Gt and the movies which i dout but posible cause they want to get the series to where it was in the ps2 era
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:41 am

Nah, it's fully possible to hit the 126 character mark without it counting transformations as separate characters, or making a ton of original ones - but it would definitely entail including a lot of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT characters as well. Also, let's not forget that the OC (again, assuming that's what the red-haired guy has to be) would be taking up one slot at the very least, and another one would no doubt be the 'Random Selection' icon. And scratch another for customizable character choosing possibly.

That said though, while I definitely want a huge selection of characters, I almost kind of doubt it's gonna be that high of a roster number. Where'd this screen come from exactly?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:50 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Where'd this screen come from exactly?
The Japan Expo demo

Zenkashuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkashuu » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Do you really believe this? lol
The game's story is also spread out the part "GT" Dragon Ball?

The story is based on "Dragon Ball Z" series. I do not want too disclosed at this time but it is possible that other parties do play (OAV and movies?).
via Google Translate, here more. http://www.yassuke.com/japan-expo-2014- ... ki-hirano/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:37 pm

Zenkashuu wrote:Do you really believe this? lol
The game's story is also spread out the part "GT" Dragon Ball?

The story is based on "Dragon Ball Z" series. I do not want too disclosed at this time but it is possible that other parties do play (OAV and movies?).
via Google Translate, here more. http://www.yassuke.com/japan-expo-2014- ... ki-hirano/
With it being the first in a potential series i can see why they would have it be Z only,I just hope they don't leave any important charecters out of what they're covering

Zenkashuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkashuu » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:07 pm

I was referring to "100+ characters" to be clear.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:27 pm

Zenkashuu wrote:
I was referring to "100+ characters" to be clear.
If Gt and the original Db were in it then yes but with it only being Z then no,In a gamespot interview They said we would get a large amount of charecters so at least 50 without transformations

Interview link :

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-201 ... 0-6420430/

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:02 pm

There's is around 150 playable characters in DBH: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon ... characters

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:10 pm

JeffJarrett wrote:
There's is around 150 playable characters in DBH: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon ... characters
Yeah, and that's with them counting alternate characters (like young Nappa with hair) as separate when they could easily just be alternate costumes in a game like Xenoverse. So I'm willing to bet that the little Dragon Balls the the guy is assuming are character pages are probably just the number of costumes for characters and they both only had one in the demo.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:46 pm

If it's actually pages of playable characters, let's assume there's at least 106 characters rather than 126, since last character pages usually feature less characters than the other pages. Let's assume there's at least one character in the last page (rather than 21 like the others). So, there would be a minimum of 106 playable characters and a maximum of 126.

From the DBH list, you can remove one Nappa, one Future Trunks, one Mr. Satan, one Good Buu, the Great Saiyamen + even GT Vegeta, and GT Gohan and make them alternate costumes. There'd still be more playable characters in this game than what people think is the number of playable characters in XV: around 140 in DBH (without counting the avatars) vs. 106 or 126 in XV.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:11 pm

If this game is going to have 100+ playable characters I wonder how Dimps' will manage to make them feel different from each other because otherwise they're just doing an Improved Tenkaichi game which isn't saying much since the Tenkaichi/RB games developed by Spike were average.

What a shame I had such high expectations for this game and it's turning out to be quite a disappointment.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:20 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:If this game is going to have 100+ playable characters I wonder how Dimps' will manage to make them feel different from each other because otherwise they're just doing an Improved Tenkaichi game which isn't saying much since the Tenkaichi/RB games developed by Spike were average.

What a shame I had such high expectations for this game and it's turning out to be quite a disappointment.
The game went into development in october 2013 and wone't likely come out before fall 2015 so that's 2 years of development time and keep in mind that it's a lot easier to work on the new consoles so what it would take to make on ps3 in a year could take 6-8 months on ps4

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:24 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:If this game is going to have 100+ playable characters I wonder how Dimps' will manage to make them feel different from each other because otherwise they're just doing an Improved Tenkaichi game which isn't saying much since the Tenkaichi/RB games developed by Spike were average.

Aren't you jumping to conclusion now? Just wait until more info is revealed. Dimps has proved to us again and again that their creation of the Budokai series was a huge success. Even Infinite World was more enjoyable than the Sparking! series. And now you already thought Xenoverse is a disappointment?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:37 pm

sintzu wrote:

The game went into development in october 2013 and wone't likely come out before fall 2015 so that's 2 years of development time and keep in mind that it's a lot easier to work on the new consoles so what it would take to make on ps3 in a year could take 6-8 months on ps4
I think that is backwards. If you dealing with a new console that had only been out a year I think it would take longer.

@dbboxkaifan

Tenkaichi 2 and 3 were well respected as a whole.

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:10 pm

I don't understand what's with the sudden pessimism. Moving on from the unsupported assumptions of local multiplayer, the game generally is looking pretty interesting; in fact I'd dared say this is looking to be the most beautiful 3D open arena-styled DBZ game yet. Xenoverse has already surpassed all previous titles of the genre in terms of fluidity and authenticity of movement, for the first time characters are demonstrating unique hit-strings and combos, and finally they seem to be doing something interesting with the story mode. One thing I like about DIMPS is they always seem to have character (no I don't mean roster, in terms of personality), if you go to 0.55 in this link you see the way Goku knocks Vegeta into the air, chases him and does a stylish knockdown followed by a Kamehameha: http://youtu.be/EXKGwgLKco0 . I don't know about you guys, but it's little things like this which go a long way. After watching all of the gameplay videos from japan expo again I looked up some RB2 vids, and I have to say personally it is extremely boring to watch. There is no style, no flare; and nothing to it. Even with the game in it's pre-alpha with people who evidently barely know how to play, I find Xenoverse is still a lot more fun and interesting to watch.

Come 2015 and people will be saying "Tenkaichi who?", and a great day that will be.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:40 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:I could be paranoid but I'm worried for Dimps' sake. I don't want to go into a regression where if this game flops people will start wanting Spike back... because I can see that happening.
Honestly, if anyone would go down that road they're simply being moronic because it's not Dimps' fault as to how the game's turning out to be, Bandai Namco gave them an idea of what they wanted to develop and therefore they're doing as such.
Its what happened when people didnt like Battle of Z. Everyone suddenly wanted Spike back after hating them on all levels after Ultimate Tenkaichi came out. The fanbase seems to have this "pick your poison" mentality, where its if they'll tolerate the lesser of the horrible games. Hence why people still want a Raging Blast 3 over this game. :lolno:
dbboxkaifan wrote:We all know that Dimps' is a high quality development team and I think if it were up to them that we'd be getting Burst Limit 2 or Budokai IV rather than this as their strength to make fighting games is SF-type (they pretty much nailed it with the revised editions of SF IV).
They are a wasted resource right now, 3D simulators arent their strengths. A bad camera can destroy this game's reception. Why get them to work on a simulator if the fanbase was already getting bored with them? This thing Namco is doing is like trying to make a pencil out of an Eraser.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.