The All-Purpose "Versus" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The All-Purpose "Versus" Thread

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:02 pm

Doctor. wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:And I highly doubt Chiaotzu became over twice as strong between the 22nd and 23rd, as Tao did.
Why not? Chaozu constantly trains with Ten. Even though the latter is stronger, they'll both get similar results because they're training together.
If they'll both get similar results, then Chiaotzu couldn't possibly have gotten anywhere near a x2 boost, since Tenshinhan only went from 180 to somewhere below 250.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:17 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:And I highly doubt Chiaotzu became over twice as strong between the 22nd and 23rd, as Tao did.
Why not? Chaozu constantly trains with Ten. Even though the latter is stronger, they'll both get similar results because they're training together.
If they'll both get similar results, then Chiaotzu couldn't possibly have gotten anywhere near a x2 boost, since Tenshinhan only went from 180 to somewhere below 250.
I don't believe in the 180 thing, so that's irrelevant to me.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:23 pm

It still must be above 139. So no x2 boost for Chiaotzu.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:55 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Why must it be above 139? There's nothing that tells us Kame-sennin stopped training after the 22nd Budokai. Sure, it's implied, but not directly stated.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:02 pm

Doctor. wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
Why must it be above 139? There's nothing that tells us Kame-sennin stopped training after the 22nd Budokai. Sure, it's implied, but not directly stated.
Why the heck would he still be training to the 23rd and then to Raditz? Not only is it never stated or implied he did, supplemental material says he didn't.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:08 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Why the heck would he still be training to the 23rd and then to Raditz? Not only is it never stated or implied he did, supplemental material says he didn't.
He clearly had in mind that he still was of some help even after saying that the new age or whatever had arrived, since he fought against Piccolo Daimao.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:19 pm

Doctor. wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Why the heck would he still be training to the 23rd and then to Raditz? Not only is it never stated or implied he did, supplemental material says he didn't.
He clearly had in mind that he still was of some help even after saying that the new age or whatever had arrived, since he fought against Piccolo Daimao.
He didn't really fight against him, he just showed up and attempted to perform one move. Then failed. His power was irrelevant there, and he seems to have retired after that, given that he doesn't even enter the next tournament and explicitly says there that he no longer has any role to play.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:24 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
He didn't really fight against him, he just showed up and attempted to perform one move. Then failed. His power was irrelevant there, and he seems to have retired after that, given that he doesn't even enter the next tournament and explicitly says there that he no longer has any role to play.
I'll have to edit some of my battle powers, then.

Still, I don't think Chaozu will be able to handle Tao.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:25 pm

Again, why? Tao is total garbage by the 22nd Budokai.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:31 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:

Again, why? Tao is total garbage by the 22nd Budokai.
Chaozu only managed to hold off Kuririn for a while because he was caught off-guard with his strange abilities. Later on, Chaozu almost gets one-shotted, meaning in terms of battle power, he wasn't that close to Kuririn to begin with.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Who do you guys think were the Top 10 strongest active characters on Earth at the start of Dragon Ball. Without giving it too much thought I'd say this

Kami
Mr Popo
Korin
Mercenary Tao
Roshi
Tsuru
Android 8
Devil Man
The Mummy
Namu

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:46 pm

Bullza wrote:Who do you guys think were the Top 10 strongest active characters on Earth at the start of Dragon Ball. Without giving it too much thought I'd say this

Kami
Mr Popo
Karin
Mercenary Tao
Roshi
Tsuru
Android 8
Devil Man
The Mummy
Namu
Chappa should be there somewhere, probably in the top 5. Tenshinhan is a possibility, but we can't really know for sure. Going by the anime, Gyumao would be on the list too.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:39 pm

If Goku and Vegeta fused during the Saiyan Arc with the earrings would they have been strong enough to defeat Freeza?
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:06 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:If Goku and Vegeta fused during the Saiyan Arc with the earrings would they have been strong enough to defeat Freeza?
They would've had trouble with first form Freeza.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:25 pm

They could probably go mano-a-mano with Freeza's first form at least, but anything stronger than that might be too much for them.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

White Oni
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by White Oni » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:34 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:If Goku and Vegeta fused during the Saiyan Arc with the earrings would they have been strong enough to defeat Freeza?
Unless you believe the fusion multiplier is vegeta x goku, they get utterly squashed by Frieza.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:20 pm

Buu arc Piccolo vs Trunks SSJ Grade II

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:46 pm

Doctor. wrote:Buu arc Piccolo vs Trunks SSJ Grade II
Piccolo beats Trunks if he sticks to Grade 2. If he goes Grade 3, then it plays out pretty much the same as it did against Cell and Trunks still loses.
deviantART
[thread]

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:49 pm

Only first form? I was looking in some other thread and it was stated that a Potara Fusion between the two of them is more a multiplication type of thing (Like "White Oni" said above). So I was curious if they had done it then would it be 18,000 x 8000....which would create a Vegetto with a power level of uhhh...well almost Super Saiyan...is that wrong? Cause if that were true wouldn't that mean that with a base power level so high...if that Vegetto were to go Super Saiyan it would multiply that battle power times 50? I guess I'm just wondering if technically if Vegetto were to be born that early wouldn't he still be strong enough to beat most opponents all the way up to at least Cell just by going Super Saiyan?
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:34 pm

It's up to interpretation, really. Some take it less literally than others, for a variety of reasons.

I, personally, don't literally multiply Goku and Vegeta's battle powers together for Vegetto because I don't see that particular mathematical method being possible from an in-universe angle. The numbers that get tossed around are just the scale that scouters use to measure power... and I doubt that a mystical Fusion method created eons ago by a god-race would have anything to do with scouters.

Then consider that other power measurements, like most notably Kiri, use an entirely different scale. The battle powers at work in the Boo arc would almost certainly be in the billions by the scouter scale, but when measured in kiri were only in the hundreds and thousands. So A times B in scouter numbers isn't going to be the same thing as A times B in Kiri. The former would place Vegetto as millions of times stronger than Goku or Vegeta alone, while the latter would "only" make him thousands of times stronger.

So the way I figure it, strictly multiplying their scouter-assigned numbers together doesn't work, and can't work. Since the description in question described it as, "like multiplication," I'm more inclined to believe it just means that Vegetto is simply many times greater than Goku and Vegeta alone, and that all else being equal the power increase is especially large compared to the Fusion Dance.
deviantART
[thread]