Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kidglov3s
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by kidglov3s » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:51 pm

So they're done with these come December. Any possible future release... has to be good right? They wouldn't go and do a hypothetical subsequent release that's also blurred/smeared over, would they?

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:23 pm

kidglov3s wrote:So they're done with these come December. Any possible future release... has to be good right? They wouldn't go and do a hypothetical subsequent release that's also blurred/smeared over, would they?

I don't think funimation will re-release Dragon Ball Z anytime soon in the future.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:27 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:What are you talking about? That image looks visually good.
The flaws on the screenshot are so obvious that you can't miss them.
JEFFMAN219 wrote:I don't think funimation will re-release Dragon Ball Z anytime soon in the future.
2013-2014: Dragon Ball Z - Season Blu-rays
2015: Dragon Ball Z Kai - The Final Chapters on Blu-ray & DVD
2016: Dragon Ball Z beautifully remastered in HD on Blu-ray like you have never seen before!

It's thanks to Dragon Ball Z that FUNimation has grown so much.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:50 pm

kidglov3s wrote:So they're done with these come December. Any possible future release ?
Dbz is not only Funi's biggest franchise but anime's biggest so yes there will be more releases but i doubt any time soon though,Maby 2017/2018.

I read that Dbz counts for 50% of Funi's profits,Is this true ?

What i would like them to do next is re-dub the original 13 Z movies (They can ignore the 2nd&3rd Brloy movies) and the 2 tv specials.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:56 pm

sintzu wrote:What i would like them to do next is re-dub the original 13 Z movies
If they could finally release Dragon Box: The Movies and with the addition of a new English dub it would definitely attract more customers, although for myself I'd just watch it in Japanese with English subs as usual. Son without the voice of Masako just doesn't feel right.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:00 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:What are you talking about? That image looks visually good.
The flaws on the screenshot are so obvious that you can't miss them.

What flaws are you talking about? Because from what I can tell that screen looks great quality wise.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:04 pm

Does anyone know how well the movies sold?

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:26 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:What flaws are you talking about? Because from what I can tell that screen looks great quality wise.
I haven't been following this thread too closely, but I do wonder about this part. Can someone with these releases comment here please? I know there is a lot of grain removal (DVNR), but I'm also wondering about other film damage. In all of the screen shots I'm seeing, I don't see any damage (although maybe I missed some screenshots, I didn't want to pour over 300 pages to verify).

It almost makes me wonder if they really repaired the entire series (as originally intended), and decided to make two versions. One for the broad-based fans that prefer the original audio with widescreen --- then go back and re-release it once more in 4:3 with the grain (essentially finishing the Level Sets). If that was their plan from the beginning (or at least after the 2nd level set release), then it would have been more profitable to do the remastering all at once (up front), then crop it for the current release.

I'm just speculating is all... (and hoping).

For the part about the releases ending soon... whatever happened to the Dragon Ball announcement we were supposed to get about 2 years ago?!?!? It sounded like they wanted to release the Dragon Ball Dragon Box set (hell, I'd buy the GT DBox set if they'd release that).
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:28 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Does anyone know how well the movies sold?
They must have been good for Funi to get the new movie as soon as they did.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:36 pm

ect5150 wrote: For the part about the releases ending soon... whatever happened to the Dragon Ball announcement we were supposed to get about 2 years ago?!?!? It sounded like they wanted to release the Dragon Ball Dragon Box set.
Maybe the sales for Db aren't good enough for them to do another release.

What i would like form Db is a Kai version,I read that the Buu arc was requested by the international companies which is why we have it now so hopefully they will ask Toie for this as well.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:36 pm

A part of me honestly hopes that these sets sell well enough to fund a print-on-demand style release for the Levels sets, but I'm not holding my breath. It'd be wonderful to have that and their cleaned-up audio; it may be simple filtering, but it's honestly night and day.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:43 pm

bkev wrote:A part of me honestly hopes that these sets sell well enough to fund a print-on-demand style release for the Levels sets, but I'm not holding my breath. It'd be wonderful to have that and their cleaned-up audio; it may be simple filtering, but it's honestly night and day.
Even a JP Dbox thing where they'd print so many and people reserve them...though that might cost a-lot!
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:00 pm

I will that's a great aspect of these sets: They went through the trouble of cleaning up the Japanese audio, even if it is just a filtering. Most US distributors never even touch those masters, so I will give props to FUNi for that.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:16 pm

bkev wrote:A part of me honestly hopes that these sets sell well enough to fund a print-on-demand style release for the Levels sets, but I'm not holding my breath. It'd be wonderful to have that and their cleaned-up audio; it may be simple filtering, but it's honestly night and day.
Yeah the Japanese audio from the Level BDs sound way better than from the Dragon Boxes Z (FUNimation version).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:17 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:I will that's a great aspect of these sets: They went through the trouble of cleaning up the Japanese audio, even if it is just a filtering. Most US distributors never even touch those masters, so I will give props to FUNi for that.
Especially since the original masters were lost according to an article Kei linked to on Twiiter.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:05 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Better cover than before but the perspective still looks off and the inclusion of Mr Satan is unbearably distracting and awkward.
Yeah, if you remove Mr. Satan and the earthlings from the cover, it would look much better. If anyone is willing to photoshop the cover to remove them, that'd be great.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:19 pm

sintzu wrote:Maybe the sales for Db aren't good enough for them to do another release.
Probably, but they could do a "Print on Demand" option and release it through a limited number of stores (I want to say Warner Bros. does this with Amazon). It might mean the packaging and whatnot isn't as spiffy (and you might have shipping delays), but at least the US would get them.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:46 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Someone posted the ending credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOS5018klvI

Cropped a lot better than I thought! Is it any different from the orange bricks (I have not seen those episodes on that set)
Is that the original audio on the Blu-ray?

It's clearly taken from a CD, because it's extremely clear and in stereo, plus at the end you can hear where it was obviously re cut from the full version because you can hear part of the loop fade out at the end when it shows Goku.
Wow, that cutting was terrible. I could do better than that in 5 minutes: http://puto.pt/btwtd.mp3
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:22 pm

Guess i'll have to wait until kai and hopefully ssj3 goku makes a cover :/!! Kind of surprised he isn't on the third cover against kid buu. It is still a decent cover though, especially the genki dama. Anyone else notice the clear typo on Season 7's Back Cover it Says 30 Episodes when really this set only has 25 lol!!!

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:58 pm

thomas1up wrote:For the Eng Dub + JPN Soundtrack has the mixing improved at all? A common problem with it in the Dbox and Orange Brick is that the music was often too quiet.
I only have the season seven Blu-ray at this point, but I finished episode 201 a few minutes ago (I actually watched it to answer this question), and the BGM was still quieted compared to the dialogue. Shame.

On a side note, is it just me, or does FUNi Kai (at least with Kikuchi) have the same problem?
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote: