Destructibility of the Dragon Balls

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Destructibility of the Dragon Balls

Post by Zephyr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:31 am

If I remember correctly, in the Buu arc, Piccolo yells at Gotenks to hold back some of his power, as he is blasting Buu into the ground, because one of the Dragon Balls may be destroyed.

At this point in time they should be stones, correct? So is Piccolo worried about them because they are stones, or because in general they are susceptible to being destroyed by power on the level of SSj3 Gotenks?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Destructibility of the Dragon Balls

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:03 am

Vegeta's worried about Nappa destroying them way back in the Saiyan arc. While you could argue that Vegeta wouldn't have any way of knowing how durable the balls are, I don't really see any reason for that line to be there if it wasn't true.

Also, wasn't one of them made into a necklace at some point? They would have had to pierce the ball to do that.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:50 am

Yeah, Yajirobe had his Dragon Ball tied around his neck.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Diotor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diotor » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:24 am

I think the balls themselves are just conduits from an external power source- i.e whomever made them Kami/Guru/Dende. As long as they survive it doesn't really matter how durable they are as they can always be remade by the creator.

At least that's what I recall after not reading the manga for some time.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Vegeta told Kuririn to destroy one of the Dragon Balls on Namek.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:44 pm

You thought the Dragon Balls were indestructible? Why would they be? Kami/Dende isn't omnipotent, Shenron isn't omnipotent, and even Katchin can be destroyed.

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:22 pm

There's a line in the Red Ribon Army Saga where one of the henchmen buys a fake dragonball, smashes it, and says the real ones are indestructable. This is probably filler, and possibly dub only, but it may be where the idea comes from.

On another note, in GT, the Dragonballs survive a x10 Kamehameha from SSj4 Goku.

Finally, we never see one destroyed, despite Kurillin attempting to and the warnings that it may happen if someone isn't careful.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:30 pm

mister yummy wrote:There's a line in the Red Ribon Army Saga where one of the henchmen buys a fake dragonball, smashes it, and says the real ones are indestructable. This is probably filler, and possibly dub only, but it may be where the idea comes from.

On another note, in GT, the Dragonballs survive a x10 Kamehameha from SSj4 Goku.

Finally, we never see one destroyed, despite Kurillin attempting to and the warnings that it may happen if someone isn't careful.
Sure we do. Buu blew them up with the planet.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:51 am

There's a line in the Red Ribon Army Saga where one of the henchmen buys a fake dragonball, smashes it, and says the real ones are indestructable. This is probably filler, and possibly dub only, but it may be where the idea comes from.
Of course, this is the Red Ribbon thugs we're talking about... it's entirely possible they believed the real Dragonballs to be indestructible just because they didn't have anyone strong enough to destroy them, while the fakes they'd found were much easier to break. Just because someone (who has no way of knowing) says something doesn't make it true. XD

But yeah, there's definitely points in the series where someone's worried that a reckless blasting attack might accidentally destroy a Dragonball (Nappa and Gotenks have already been mentioned), and in the case of Gotenks being warned to be careful, it was Piccolo doing the warning... and he should know exactly how Dragonballs work thanks to Kami (and probably Nail to a lesser extent.) Plus we know Yajirobe was able to punch a hole in one and make it into a necklace. So it's safe to say they can be destroyed, it just probably takes a lot more to pull it off than destroying an ordinary rock of the same size. And probably depends on the Dragonballs involved, too--I imagine the Namekian balls would be tougher than Earth's, and if you're going to go into GT the Black Star balls should be even tougher than that.

Diotor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diotor » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:11 am

Tyro wrote:Vegeta told Kuririn to destroy one of the Dragon Balls on Namek.
What insight would Vegeta have on the destructability of the Dragonballs? He'd only heard about them due to Piccolo telling Raditz on Earth, along with other legends- possibly anime filler?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:52 am

Toriyama has already answered the question:
Akira Toriyama wrote:I think they have the properties of a hard, natural resin. Even if a hole is drilled in them or they get damaged, after a wish is granted and they disperse, the damage disappears once they return to being orbs, and they become like new.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.