Goku discusses his promise to the Elder Overseer [Fandub]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Goku discusses his promise to the Elder Overseer [Fandub]

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqRkIuWcVMo

This is a quick dub of the scene from the Buu arc after Pure/Kid Buu destroys Earth and the Elder Overseer (Kaioshin) is stingy about allowing the Dragon Balls to be used until Goku reminds them of their deal. I adapted the dialouge since the official dub ignored the whole dirty photo thing. I went with the term 'nudes' since that's what they'd be called now.

Voices:
ConfusedPhantom: Vegeta
xXInfinite026Xx: Elder Supreme Overseer
SSJ4 Furanki: Goku

Enjoy!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Goku discusses his promise to the Elder Overseer [Fandub

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:10 pm

Very nice :thumbup:
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:57 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Very nice :thumbup:
Thanks! Glad you like it! Would've preferred to have had my laptop working so the acoustics of the room didn't sound 'off'. But, still happy with how this turned out!

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:22 pm

The Goku voice isn't terrible, but it sounds very awkward hearing him say "ain't" and "reckon" in what isn't really a southern accent. The Vegeta voice was kind of jarring at first, but that's probably because I'm so used to Chris Sabbat's. It's not objectively bad, I suppose.
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:12 pm

Sun-Wukong wrote:The Goku voice isn't terrible, but it sounds very awkward hearing him say "ain't" and "reckon" in what isn't really a southern accent. The Vegeta voice was kind of jarring at first, but that's probably because I'm so used to Chris Sabbat's. It's not objectively bad, I suppose.
I got'cha. It's my way of trying to adapt the way he speaks. May not be a true equivalent, but from what I gathered, Nozawa's Goku is more or less a regular accent with the occasional odd quirks he has in his speech. So, I tried to match that with the American English equivalent of the Midwestern accent (which is what my own is anyway), with a bit more of a southern way of phrasing sentences. I'd do a southern accent, but if I tried that... it honestly would probably sound like a bad stereotype accent, so I decided against that. Mostly took influence from Nozawa's Goku, but also the happy go lucky part of Schemmel's. May have over-adapted the quirk when I adapt dialouge. But, I'd rather over-do it, than not at all.

In regards to Vegeta, I cast ConfusedPhantom based on the fact his tone is pretty close to Horikawa's. I have no problem with Sabat's Vegeta (actually like it a lot as of Kai/Battle of Gods). But, most fandubs try to copy the voice. It's rare to hear a non-Sabat-esque Vegeta in a fandub from my experiences.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:00 am

Did the elder Kai ever get those nudes?

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:03 pm

Really nice. I liked your Goku voice, and you kind of sounded like Schemmel while adding your own twist ;)
I don't have a problem with hearing a different type of voice for Vegeta (in fact, I agree: he sounds close to Ryo Horikawa) but I think his pronounciation was a bit awkward when he started shouting.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:08 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Did the elder Kai ever get those nudes?
Doubt it, Vegeta would never let it happen after finding out. Only way I could see it happen is Goku being ninja-like and bluntly asking if she'd do that.
UltimateHammerBro wrote:Really nice. I liked your Goku voice, and you kind of sounded like Schemmel while adding your own twist ;)
I don't have a problem with hearing a different type of voice for Vegeta (in fact, I agree: he sounds close to Ryo Horikawa) but I think his pronounciation was a bit awkward when he started shouting.
Thanks! Glad the slight influence shows. The pitch is also similar to Schemmel's despite not being an outright copy.

With Vegeta, I can see that. But, I think he'll get better about the the more he has yelling lines as Vegeta. Still happy with the way his lines turned out.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:09 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:I don't have a problem with hearing a different type of voice for Vegeta (in fact, I agree: he sounds close to Ryo Horikawa) but I think his pronounciation was a bit awkward when he started shouting.
Hm, guess my articulation still needs some work then. That's kind of disappointing. : / Ah well. I'll just have to work on it harder. I'll probably do some practice yelling (not just as Vegeta) so that I can articulate better. Thanks for the critique.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:12 pm

ConfusedPhantom wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:I don't have a problem with hearing a different type of voice for Vegeta (in fact, I agree: he sounds close to Ryo Horikawa) but I think his pronounciation was a bit awkward when he started shouting.
Hm, guess my articulation still needs some work then. That's kind of disappointing. : / Ah well. I'll just have to work on it harder. I'll probably do some practice yelling (not just as Vegeta) so that I can articulate better. Thanks for the critique.
We are working on a Kai clip and Mugen and I are also working on a clip of the Evil Dragon Arc from GT. Actually I think I managed to find a way to mispronunce 10x Kamehameha that still works in English but adhere's to Goku's little quirk in the Japanese version. Jubai (correct) -> Jubei (Goku/hick-ish/mispronounced). Times/x (correct) -> tames (Goku/mispronounced - despite being a real word in the English language). It's actually pretty fun to make adaptations.

So, in the Kai clip, CP's articulation should be a bit better, since he's been practicing it since this clip (even though I had no problems with it myself).

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Sun-Wukong wrote:The Goku voice isn't terrible, but it sounds very awkward hearing him say "ain't" and "reckon" in what isn't really a southern accent.
These are used outside "the South". They are even used in England, in the North East! Different intonation, of course.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:17 pm

Regarder wrote:
Sun-Wukong wrote:The Goku voice isn't terrible, but it sounds very awkward hearing him say "ain't" and "reckon" in what isn't really a southern accent.
These are used outside "the South". They are even used in England, in the North East! Different intonation, of course.
Yeah, my Dad and his friends like to use ain't a lot. But, we're all from Ohio.