Name Your Kids/Pets After DB Characters

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Name Your Kids/Pets After DB Characters

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:15 am

Know this happens more with celebrities than regular folks like us, but thought I'd ask do you ever think you would name your kids or your pets after DB characters? With pets can see, but while a big fan, don't think I'm that much of a fan to name my kids after any DB characters. Did once on a similar note asking a friend who is a big Sailor Moon fan if she'd name a daughter "Serena" after the main character, but she said she wouldn't. But what about you guys?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Name Your Kids/Pets After DB Characters

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:23 am

Nah, all DB names are intentionally stupid. I'd never curse anyone with such a name.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Flopro18
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Flopro18 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:46 am

Maybe a pet but a child, oh hell no. Goku is something playful and nice for a family companion that can only associate the name with itself and not really know where it came from but when that child turns into a teen who resents you for naming home after a vegetable, then it's an issue.

Ashelia
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ashelia » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:52 am

I don't plan on having kids but if I ever somehow if I magically did I always felt I'd only give them nicknames depending on the situation like I do with friends now. Like my son he'd be Yamcha when he disappoints me :lol:

My little sister named one of our cats Trunks despite not being a fan. He ran away though and since then its just been "normal" pet names.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:33 am

Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:48 am

God no, I'd never purposefully give a child a stupid name putting them at a risk for being mocked for it just over some nerdy like I have for a cartoon.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:51 am

A pet, maybe. A child, certainly not.
-Joey

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:54 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Nah, all DB names are intentionally stupid. I'd never curse anyone with such a name.
Mark?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:16 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Nah, all DB names are intentionally stupid. I'd never curse anyone with such a name.
Mark?
That's an intentionally stupid name that just happens to not come across as one if you ignore the reasoning behind it.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:21 am

Adamant wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Mark?
That's an intentionally stupid name that just happens to not come across as one if you ignore the reasoning behind it.
I was referring more to the second sentence in that quote.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:40 am

It's also a real name though, and so I could see someone naming their kid that and that being secretly a reason they picked the name, without it having to be really too embarrassing, since nobody would know unless they asked 'so how'd you pick the name Mark?'.

That said, I don't think I could ever name a kid after a Dragon Ball character either, or any anime character. I'm not THAT obsessed. :P Pets though? Pets are totally fair game. I had a cat named Dobby (yes, from Harry Potter) for years. As far as Dragon Ball goes though, there was only this one kitten that my family had for a little while, and it was almost more of a nickname than a full name since it disappeared so fast. I called it Gohan though, because it was the runt of the litter and put up with a lot of crap from it's siblings, until I witnessed it one day get tired of it...and freakin' BACKHANDED (...backpawed?) another kitten. I swear I saw a couple of kitten hairs stick up and go spikey and blonde, it was pretty surreal.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:18 am

I don't want children. But if I did, I would like to ruin their lives before it even starts by naming them after a DB character. Maybe Bra or Trunks.

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:07 am

My wife begged me for a puppy. I didn't want to because my wife already has a grown dog and two cats (I hate cats), and I have 4 little dogs that currently live with my parents still. (My mom is worried how the state of my house will turn with 5 dogs and 2 cats so I guess I understand why she won't let me take them.) Anywho, I said no until she wanted to named the puppy in mind Bulma. That was just unfair, attacking my like for Dragon Ball. We got her a little Dragon Ball nametag and everything. This dog does not take after her namesake though. I swear she is the dumbest dog ever. She's so bad. Anyone want a dog?
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:20 am

A Portuguese guy made a bet some years ago: If he had 1 million likes on facebook his wife would let him name their son Son Goku.
End up being far from that number but it became famous around here. The message even appeared on media and his facebook page became a social page for everyone.

Good times!
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/HelpNameMyBabyGoku?fref=ts
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:30 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Mark?
Doesn't technically count. It never came up in any actual piece of DB material, just an interview with the author.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:33 am

Well, after my suggestion, to name our pug Char Aznable, which my girlfriend rejected,
it's called Snofru after pharaoh (in english probably better known as Sneferu).

Didn't found any cool name in DB.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:36 pm

I'd name my kid Android 17.

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:38 pm

Scarz wrote:I don't want children. But if I did, I would like to ruin their lives before it even starts by naming them after a DB character. Maybe Bra or Trunks.
You would have your daughter by called Bra by kids??? Hilarity ensues on the playground.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:29 pm

I wouldn't call my kid Gohan because people would mispronounce it eternally :lol: also, my bf would never ever allow it. I did name a kitten Goku though, because he was abandoned by his parents and I wanted him to survive and be strong or something. He did live, so I guess it kind of worked.

I would totally name a pet Gohan, Goten or Yamcha. Trunks is too hard to pronounce for my family, Bra isn't a character I'm invested in, Videl, Bulma, Chichi and Pan have all double-meanings in spanish that aren't very appropriate... Vegeta would be a good name for a mean cat though haha or Karin.

Basically, I'm totally on board with naming pets after anime characters (I named my cat Mai after a japanese singer I like after all), but it's too much for children, especially because DB names are kind of stupid. As a bonus though, my bf's name is Miguel, so I guess he's already named like a DB character after all :lol:
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:41 pm

I named my Cats Goku and Vegeta!

Goku ate all day and got fat, Vegeta liked to kill mice...so I think those were good names xD