If Cell traveled space, could he have gone far with no ship?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

If Cell traveled space, could he have gone far with no ship?

Post by Angelus » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Perfect Cell can survive in space (same as 17, 18, and 16, I suppose but only because they're androids) because he has Frieza's cells (or was that ever stated in the manga?).

Now, given Cell's power, could he had actually gone far off in space faster than say, the Namekian ship Krillin, Gohan, and Bulma used to travel or Goku's Capsule Corp ship?

We see that Pan in End of Z was able to circle around the Earth. We also see that SSJ Gotenks flew around the Earth quickly. Cell would definitely be able to fly around Earth but going by that logic, would he actually have been able to travel around in space and wreck havoc in the northern galaxy? Or are the distances far too wide that it would take Cell hundreds of Earth years just to travel from one planet to another, outside our solar system?

As a side note: Do you think 17 and 18 actually can survive in space indefinitely? I mean 18 doesn't need to eat or drink right?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: If Cell traveled space, could he have gone far with no s

Post by rereboy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:32 pm

I think the androids (except #16) would need to breathe, because they are still basically human so they couldn't go.

As for Cell, since he doesn't need to breathe (like Freeza) and he also probably doesn't need to drink or eat and also probably doesn't age (since he's perfect and all) it would be probably just be a matter of time. He probably couldn't go faster than the spaceships we saw, but that wouldn't really matter.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:36 pm

Well, it would matter since it would get incredibly boring to travel through empty space for hundreds of years straight until you found another planet. People in Frieza's empire traveled around in space pods that put them in "hibernation mode" when they traveled.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:23 pm

It sort of occurred to me whilst re-reading the Manga that if Cell had defeated Gohan at Cell games and chosen to destroy the Earth - what exactly would he have done once he traveled off into space?

On Earth at least, he had no interest in ruling the planet or having people serve under him - so would his Universal exploration been one purely of destruction, or attempting to find opponents strong enough to amuse his urge to test the extents of his 'perfection'?

After reading Watchmen I had the idea that, perhaps over a very long period of time with the benefit of having seen much of the Universe, Cell might develop to turn his thoughts away from destruction, develop a God-complex, and maybe attempt to create life instead. But hey, that's one for the guys over at Dragonball Multiverse to play with :)
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:45 pm

Angelus wrote:Well, it would matter since it would get incredibly boring to travel through empty space for hundreds of years straight until you found another planet. People in Freeza's empire traveled around in space pods that put them in "hibernation mode" when they traveled.
Because they aged and needed to eat, breathe, etc. For a being with none of that, it might be boring, but it really is of no consequence.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:36 pm

Blade wrote:After reading Watchmen I had the idea that, perhaps over a very long period of time with the benefit of having seen much of the Universe, Cell might develop to turn his thoughts away from destruction, develop a God-complex, and maybe attempt to create life instead.
He already succeeded with that endeavour several times :P

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:41 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Blade wrote:After reading Watchmen I had the idea that, perhaps over a very long period of time with the benefit of having seen much of the Universe, Cell might develop to turn his thoughts away from destruction, develop a God-complex, and maybe attempt to create life instead.
He already succeeded with that endeavour several times :P
I don't mean Cell Jrs, I mean more like orchestrating the environmental conditions in an area of space for life to form and evolve on its own - sort of like what Doctor Manhattan decides to go off and do at the end of Watchmen.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Angelus wrote:We see that Pan in End of Z was able to circle around the Earth. We also see that SSJ Gotenks flew around the Earth quickly.
We don't know how quickly, of course. Being able to circle the Earth twenty times in half an hour would be pretty dang fast, but it would still take around a month to go from Earth to Mars at such a speed, let alone anywhere else. I suppose with no wind resistance Cell could keep accelerating and accelerating, but beyond that you have to start guessing whether acceleration works the Einstein way or the Newton way in the Dragonverse.

Einstein way: You get to think about time dilation and how as Cell approaches the speed of light time moves slower for him, so maybe the trip wouldn't be so long and boring from his perspective after all? Of course, it would take him a long time to get anywhere because you can't reach the speed of light with these laws, but I doubt that would matter to him. Not like he has any family waiting at home!

Newtonian way: Cell could keep getting faster and faster so long as he had ki to keep speeding himself up. There would be no limit to how fast he could go, but he'd have to remember that it would take just as much time and energy to slow himself down upon reaching his destination.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:00 pm

Applying kaioken scaling to Piccolo's moon buster, Cell would be at double digit times faster than light. It would take him a very, very long time to reach the next galaxy even with that speed
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:29 pm

At ten times the speed of light, it would take roughly five months to get to the nearest star to the Sun.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:43 pm

Well SPC would have Instant Transmission to help him out.
Maybe perfect Cell would fly and sleep to other planets at the same time or try to learn Instant Transmission.

Diotor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diotor » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:46 am

If Cell can use Instant Transmission he can travel between dimensions as well, which means he can also jump from dimension to dimension causing havoc as he pleases.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:38 pm

Rocketman wrote:At ten times the speed of light, it would take roughly five months to get to the nearest star to the Sun.
The universe in DB might not be as spaced out. The stars might be closer.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:03 pm

The Monkey King wrote:Well SPC would have Instant Transmission to help him out.
Maybe perfect Cell would fly and sleep to other planets at the same time or try to learn Instant Transmission.
I like the image of Cell hurling himself towards a planet, and just falling asleep until he crashes into it :lol:
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:01 pm

He fly's around til he can Shunkan Ido to find another planet with people, has fun with it and destroys it, rinse repeat for other worlds..
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:24 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
The Monkey King wrote:Well SPC would have Instant Transmission to help him out.
I like the image of Cell hurling himself towards a planet, and just falling asleep until he crashes into it :lol:
I just literally laughed out loud picturing that in my own head. New head-canon what-if scenario.