"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE" (PS4/XB1/PS3/360/PC) Official Th

Post by Zelvin » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:01 am

So we've talked a bit before about what race we're gonna play first, but how about names and reasons for playing that character? I mean you get the chance to rather literally create the DBZ character of your dreams, and your reasons for such may go beyond just saying "I wanna be a Super Saiyan!" If you were to roleplay that character, what kind of background would he or she have? What was their raison d'être? Their reason for being?

Everyone's had their own little fantasies on how they'd insert their own fan-fiction character into the series, and Xenoverse gives you that chance. So who is it, and what were they doing?
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:13 am

For name sake I'm going for consistency with naming being puns. You wont see me playing a Saiyan named Doug or a Namekian named Joe or god forbid be one of those guys who names their character after their gamertag/youtube name.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:55 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:For name sake I'm going for consistency with naming being puns. You wont see me playing a Saiyan named Doug or a Namekian named Joe or god forbid be one of those guys who names their character after their gamertag/youtube name.
So probably something like Cetterie? Like Celery? Or Mashrun (Mushroom)? Pahto (Potatoe)? Things like that I imagine. And no, I ain't gonna use'em. I have other ideas. Like my name here. And some would be like "What's that a pun of?" Well more like shorthand. Zelvin for "Zero Kelvin". Ya know, the absolute zero. For my Arcosian. Better than just naming him Zero.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:59 am

I know it doesn't follow the puns in the truest sense of the words but I might name a character Salsa as it just seems fitting for the Universe. Not sure which race yet though.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:00 am

I'll list off my characters after they get created. With anon guests you never know who may be watching and waiting to snatch up a name.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:07 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:I'll list off my characters after they get created. With anon guests you never know who may be watching and waiting to snatch up a name.
I guess. I have no use for other peoples ideas. Though I guess that's not much assurance with anon guests. Besides, not like I was hiding my name anyway. Besides I got Xenoverse fully paid off on pre-order and can snatch it up day 1 and get it goin right quick. Either way I'm already sure people will take the more obvious Freeza Race puns like: Fridge, Chiller, Ice-T, Snowflake, Frost, and the effeminate androgynous femboy named Bifrost. More terrifying than the guy Teen Trunks had to meet with. :lol:
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:09 am

Zelvin wrote:So probably something like Cetterie? Like Celery? Or Mashrun (Mushroom)? Pahto (Potatoe)? Things like that I imagine. And no, I ain't gonna use'em. I have other ideas. Like my name here. And some would be like "What's that a pun of?" Well more like shorthand. Zelvin for "Zero Kelvin". Ya know, the absolute zero. For my Arcosian. Better than just naming him Zero.
Your what?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

MajinAsura

Post by MajinAsura » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:15 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:
No, its born from the English dub when Kaio informs Goku of the Saiyans during a filler episode. Goes into their way with the Tsufuru and their meeting with the "Arcosians" which in the Japanese dub dont even have a name nor are even implied to be Freeza's race in any dub.
Ah so it's a dub term. I thought it was a fanfiction idea. Thanks for information. I doubt anyone cares what a TERRIBLE translated English dub named a race. I doubt most even notice. Freeza's clan sounds good enough. We don't need to know every race's name. And Arcosians sounds ugly. I can't even pronuce it. I've never heard anyone use the term before today.
The issue is you cant pun the race's name off anything. Freeza and his family all follow a pun scheme with cold words and terms. Freeza, Cool, Cold, Chill, Frozen, etc.

What can you pun Arcosian off of that resembles a term for low temperature words?
You can pun it off of "arctic"
My pet peeves:
People who spell Broly "Brolli"
People who call Beerus "Bills"
People who think that super Saiyan 4 Gogeta is coming back for Fukkatsu no F
People who think Broly can kill ssj3 Goku
People who hate Gohan in the Buu Saga
People who think Broly could kill FREAKIN' BEERUS

MajinAsura

Post by MajinAsura » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:17 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Zelvin wrote:So probably something like Cetterie? Like Celery? Or Mashrun (Mushroom)? Pahto (Potatoe)? Things like that I imagine. And no, I ain't gonna use'em. I have other ideas. Like my name here. And some would be like "What's that a pun of?" Well more like shorthand. Zelvin for "Zero Kelvin". Ya know, the absolute zero. For my Arcosian. Better than just naming him Zero.
Your what?
Custom DBX character
My pet peeves:
People who spell Broly "Brolli"
People who call Beerus "Bills"
People who think that super Saiyan 4 Gogeta is coming back for Fukkatsu no F
People who think Broly can kill ssj3 Goku
People who hate Gohan in the Buu Saga
People who think Broly could kill FREAKIN' BEERUS

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:38 am

MajinAsura wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Your what?
Custom DBX character
I believe he was more questioning the made up term of "arcosian" and what the hell that was.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:42 am

I asked Bandai Namco Europe two weeks ago via twitter who would be the composer for Xenoverse, and if Europe would receive the same soundtrack as Japan.
They posted a video today and answered my question right at the beginning: http://youtu.be/GwJtVdxfksE
Well, they are trying at least.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:47 am

Was jsut getting ready to post that interview. Couple of things I found interesting:

1. When asked if we could customize the original series characters by equipping capsules or whatever to them, the response was "not in the main mode". Does this mean we can do it for versus mode, or was he just misinformed?

2. Apparently the other races will have "transformations", but they function as an "Unlock Potential". Meaning the stats and aura will change, but no physical changes. Nothing about these transformations were actually specified though, so he they could have just been talking about the two levels of Kaioken. We'll have to wait and see.

3. It was stated that the playable roster will not have any what-if characters, BUT it was teased that the storymode may have some. Again, no real specifics were mentioned, so they could just be talking about the Towa controlled versions of characters like Freeza, Cell, etc. Not sure I like the idea of having characters that are already in the game that aren't playable (outside of giants). The enslaved characters, if that's all they are talking about, could easily just be alternate costumes since no one but the Saiyans have seem to have transformations from the original, main cast.

4. The animated sequences are at the beginning of the game as an introduction, but he thinks there are a few more spread throughout the story.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:02 pm

So no graphical options and console parity.

So basically a shitty ass port. Nice.

Way to keep up your reputation of not understanding PC gaming, Japan.

Kojima, please teach your country.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:21 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:So no graphical options and console parity.

This is a lower budget game for a smaller audience, you should have never expected a PC port with lots of additional graphical effects and options.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:28 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:So no graphical options and console parity.

This is a lower budget game for a smaller audience, you should have never expected a PC port with lots of additional graphical effects and options.
No excuse. Those are the bare basics of any PC game. You are not even hitting minimum with trash like that. It is not difficult to implement basic options.

Indie games do that. Budget is no excuse.

Deadtuber.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:45 pm

Same thing with Storm games. Only "high resolution" options, and nothing past that. I was confused as hell when I first saw that.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:52 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Same thing with Storm games. Only "high resolution" options, and nothing past that. I was confused as hell when I first saw that.
I'm extremely grateful that the game is actually coming to PC but it's frustrating when things like this happen. It sends the wrong message to PC gamers and the wrong message back to the devs.

PC gamers won't buy shitty ports despite being happy the game is on PC and so the sales figures tell the devs that nobody wanted the game. It's a frustrating cycle that stems from a lack of understanding of the platform.

I have a decent amount of experience with game development. A graphics menu isn't hard to implement and that's especially true considering this is running on a modified version of the SFIV engine. That game has a good amount of options on PC so it's not like the functionality isn't there.

I don't know if I see it as laziness though. Japan just historically doesn't understand the platform.

The thing is, they're just limiting who can play this game. If you can't tweak the settings, you're alienating everyone who cannot run the game at max. That's not how PC gaming works.

Deadtuber.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:19 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
DarkPrince_92 wrote:Same thing with Storm games. Only "high resolution" options, and nothing past that. I was confused as hell when I first saw that.
I'm extremely grateful that the game is actually coming to PC but it's frustrating when things like this happen. It sends the wrong message to PC gamers and the wrong message back to the devs.

PC gamers won't buy shitty ports despite being happy the game is on PC and so the sales figures tell the devs that nobody wanted the game. It's a frustrating cycle that stems from a lack of understanding of the platform.

I have a decent amount of experience with game development. A graphics menu isn't hard to implement and that's especially true considering this is running on a modified version of the SFIV engine. That game has a good amount of options on PC so it's not like the functionality isn't there.

I don't know if I see it as laziness though. Japan just historically doesn't understand the platform.

The thing is, they're just limiting who can play this game. If you can't tweak the settings, you're alienating everyone who cannot run the game at max. That's not how PC gaming works.
Yeah, this is a bit of a bummer. Granted I wasn't expecting more than what the Storm games offer for options [read: basically none], but I was kind of hoping I might get surprised. Oh well, it'll still be my platform of choice since I'm pretty sure it'll run better on PC than it would on PS3 and, not having or looking to pick up a PS4, it only makes sense.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:32 pm

Haseowolf wrote:Yeah, this is a bit of a bummer. Granted I wasn't expecting more than what the Storm games offer for options [read: basically none], but I was kind of hoping I might get surprised. Oh well, it'll still be my platform of choice since I'm pretty sure it'll run better on PC than it would on PS3 and, not having or looking to pick up a PS4, it only makes sense.
Yeah, I'll still be buying it for PC though chances are it'll be dead relatively quickly and I'll have to pick it up for PS4 (not a bad thing, it's starting to gather dust).

At most, I was hoping for an SFIV level of port due to their past experiences though that was clearly overoptimistic (and a little naive). It was likely Capcom's hand in that game that brought about its quality.

If it supports a 120hz refresh rate with no fiddling around and actually utilises my hardware, I'll be more than happy. I'm just annoyed at the whole principle of the thing, really.

It looks like a potato so I'm sure it'll run fine on my recently upgraded rig. :wink: Excitable bragging. Forgive me.

Deadtuber.

pitrako
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pitrako » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:26 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Was jsut getting ready to post that interview. Couple of things I found interesting:

1. When asked if we could customize the original series characters by equipping capsules or whatever to them, the response was "not in the main mode". Does this mean we can do it for versus mode, or was he just misinformed?

2. Apparently the other races will have "transformations", but they function as an "Unlock Potential". Meaning the stats and aura will change, but no physical changes. Nothing about these transformations were actually specified though, so he they could have just been talking about the two levels of Kaioken. We'll have to wait and see.

3. It was stated that the playable roster will not have any what-if characters, BUT it was teased that the storymode may have some. Again, no real specifics were mentioned, so they could just be talking about the Towa controlled versions of characters like Freeza, Cell, etc. Not sure I like the idea of having characters that are already in the game that aren't playable (outside of giants). The enslaved characters, if that's all they are talking about, could easily just be alternate costumes since no one but the Saiyans have seem to have transformations from the original, main cast.

4. The animated sequences are at the beginning of the game as an introduction, but he thinks there are a few more spread throughout the story.
I think this is interesting too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwJtVdxfksE#t=1039 (part 17:20)

For point number 2, he said "inner power", Kaioken multiplies the power you are able to use in that moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwJtVdxfksE#t=832 (part 13:52)
Last edited by pitrako on Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.