How can Goku teleport to King Kai if he's a deity?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Re: How can Goku teleport to King Kai if he's a deity?

Post by FindKenshi » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:55 pm

Wait, Kibito appeared able to sense Kaioshin's ki after he gets resurrected by the Dragon Balls. Is this just because he's also a Shin-Jin?
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution!" -Evil Lord Freeza
The best and most powerful villain in Dragon Ball

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:13 am

FindKenshi wrote:Wait, Kibito appeared able to sense Kaioshin's ki after he gets resurrected by the Dragon Balls. Is this just because he's also a Shin-Jin?
He didn't sense him. He flies around, and finally sees him and rushes down to heal him. If he could sense him, he would have teleported to him immediately, instead he had to search for Kaioshin.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:00 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
FindKenshi wrote:Wait, Kibito appeared able to sense Kaioshin's ki after he gets resurrected by the Dragon Balls. Is this just because he's also a Shin-Jin?
He didn't sense him. He flies around, and finally sees him and rushes down to heal him. If he could sense him, he would have teleported to him immediately, instead he had to search for Kaioshin.
At the same time, before he flies off you see the same reaction on his face like he just sensed or noticed something, and the direction he flew was pretty much in a straight line with where he discovered Kaioushin.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:16 am

Darkprince410 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
At the same time, before he flies off you see the same reaction on his face like he just sensed or noticed something, and the direction he flew was pretty much in a straight line with where he discovered Kaioushin.
My bad, I missed that page. I was looking at the later panel where he finally finds him.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:40 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Kami's ki, however, was never sensed. It's entirely possible that Dende was a special case, in that he was literally brought over to be a god, rather than having the title bestowed on him by the previous god like Kami was.
But Dende is still the Kami of Earth. It is never stated that to become a Kami, the previous Kami should give you his power. The fact that Dende became the Kami the way he did means that the presence of the previous Kami isn't required. Besides, Dende has displayed the ability to watch everything in the world, an ability that only the Kami has.
Whis is an attendant just like Kibito, and he has godly ki. So, it is logical to assume IMO that Kibito, as well as Karin & Mr. Popo, have godly ki as well.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:52 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Whis is an attendant just like Kibito, and he has godly ki. So, it is logical to assume IMO that Kibito, as well as Karin & Mr. Popo, have godly ki as well.
Considering Whis is Beerus' master and Whis is the one that trained Beerus. It is more than likely he was the old God of Destruction. Not an attendant. All the attendant's we have in the story are weaker than the person they are serving under too.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:29 pm

Hitiro wrote:Considering Whis is Beerus' master and Whis is the one that trained Beerus. It is more than likely he was the old God of Destruction. Not an attendant. All the attendant's we have in the story are weaker than the person they are serving under too.
It is confirmed in both guidebooks & the movie itself that Whis is Beerus attendant.

Him being the previous Hakaishin is also extremely unlikely. Every god in DB abandons his position only through death, even Beerus according to Whis.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:28 pm

I just look at it as presented. Goku could sense King Kai, so King Kai has "sense-able" ki. Beers's ki is Godly ki and can't be sensed conventionally, so his ki is different frim King Kai's. King Kai can sense him, so it's probably something different. Like Godly Sight, or whatever you want to call it. King Kai isn't using ki to sense Beers's imminent arrival but rather it's his position within the celestial hierarchy that tells him these things. He automatically knows it, or his position gives him an extra sense that he's consciously employing.

But before BoG, the only distinction we had between people tgat could be sensed and people that couldn't were Androids and not-Androids. I don't see the need to reapply a new categorization (Godly Ki or not) to beings that already existed and were already categorized.
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:47 pm

I recall in both the JPN and ENG dubs of Battle of Gods, Beerus said Whis is his teacher. This was during a scene Goku and Beerus were above the Earth talking to each other, so right before the end of the movie.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:54 pm

Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:I recall in both the JPN and ENG dubs of Battle of Gods, Beerus said Whis is his teacher. This was during a scene Goku and Beerus were above the Earth talking to each other, so right before the end of the movie.
I'm not saying that Whis isn't Beerus' teacher, what I'm saying is that he is also Beerus' attendant. Being his teacher doesn't prevent him from being his attendant.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:14 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:I recall in both the JPN and ENG dubs of Battle of Gods, Beerus said Whis is his teacher. This was during a scene Goku and Beerus were above the Earth talking to each other, so right before the end of the movie.
I'm not saying that Whis isn't Beerus' teacher, what I'm saying is that he is also Beerus' attendant. Being his teacher doesn't prevent him from being his attendant.
Yeah... As The God of Destruction is descriebed to be necessary to maintain the balance in the Universe 7(also in other universes), I imagine that Whis is his all-knowing attendant, butler and teacher who is busy to serve the Hakaishin, just like a King or a prince is served by a prime-minister, or something like that.

For the topic...

Kais and Kaioshin are now described as the forces to maintain the balance in the Universe by creating planets, stars and life-forms. So they are the opposites of the Hakaishin, who is the force of destruction. So their Ki shouldn't be the same, should it? Even if they are both deities, their Kis are supposed to be the opposite ones... Like positive and negative energies. As it's obvious that we can not sense Kaioshin's and Kaio skills to create, then we shouldn't be able to sense the other ability which is the destruction.

Let me explain... King Kai is treated to be a Martial Arts Master, so he's supposed to have Battle power/Ki(normal Ki) beside his powers to create things(more than likely he hasn't that great power to create larger planets, but Whis stated that he is able to create smaller planets, just like ones like his own planet). Old Kai and Kibito Kai are described to be the ones to create planets, life-forms, etc. but also the ones who protect them, so they must be naturally given battle power/Ki to be able to do that. It was stated that Buu's energy be can be sensed, but he was able to defeat Kaioshins, who are described to be Gods. So if we accept that the God Ki can not be sensed, but the Kaioshins were defeated by a being who has sensable Ki, I'd say the Kaiosins' God Ki is not a destructive energy which was surpassed by Buu's battle power, but a positive God Ki, which is the creation ability itself, so it's more like a skill than a type of energy. In that way, the other Godly ability, the destruction, it should be a skill too, which can not be sensed only by the ones who has that skill or the opposite of it.

The Ki itself can be negative and positive, which can be sensed, so I'd say the creation is a type of white magic and the destruction a type of black magic. The East Kaioshin mentioned that Badibi had very strong magical abilities. And that couldn't be sensed.

It is given that Namekians are species who have special abilties like creating Dragon Balls, to heal and to create objects out of nothing. These abilities are not something to sense them, they have nothing to do with the life force, which is the Ki in reality. So in my view, both creationand destrucion are some types magical skills, and thus they can not be sensed!
Last edited by Low Tone G on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:11 pm

Maybe there just is no in-universe explanation, did you guys think of that? Since the whole "godly ki" and not being able to sense gods came after Dragonball was already written.. sometimes there is no rational answer. The author would have to care about the continuity enough to explain it in-universe and if he doesn't, he won't. Like for instance Toriyama who forgets everything about Dragon Ball if there is no answer it's because he doesn't care to make one.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution!" -Evil Lord Freeza
The best and most powerful villain in Dragon Ball

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:16 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:It is confirmed in both guidebooks & the movie itself that Whis is Beerus attendant.

Him being the previous Hakaishin is also extremely unlikely. Every god in DB abandons his position only through death, even Beerus according to Whis.
I would assume that Whis being an "attendant" is more of a description then his actual role like Kibito, Karin or Popo. Like Whis seems to have a choice in whether he does what he does for Beerus unlike the 3 previous people who have to do their jobs regardless. You also can't really say that every god abandons their position only through death. Because Goku was offered to become the new Kami by Kami himself. The previous Kami gave the position of Kami to the Kami we know as well. I find it hard to believe that a being as powerful as Whis didn't have the role in the first place. I also find it hard to believe that anybody other than a previous god can offer the role to someone else or train someone to take up that role if they hadn't of had the experience themselves. Honestly, when is an "attendant" ever given authority to supersede their God's decision on who the next God will be? It really doesn't make sense that someone with lesser authority gets to decide. I mean that is like saying Mr. Popo was the one who choose Kami to be the next Kami. Not Kami's predecessor.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:49 am

Hitiro wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:It is confirmed in both guidebooks & the movie itself that Whis is Beerus attendant.

I would assume that Whis being an "attendant" is more of a description then his actual role like Kibito, Karin or Popo. Like Whis seems to have a choice in whether he does what he does for Beerus unlike the 3 previous people who have to do their jobs regardless. You also can't really say that every god abandons their position only through death. Because Goku was offered to become the new Kami by Kami himself. The previous Kami gave the position of Kami to the Kami we know as well. I find it hard to believe that a being as powerful as Whis didn't have the role in the first place. I also find it hard to believe that anybody other than a previous god can offer the role to someone else or train someone to take up that role if they hadn't of had the experience themselves. Honestly, when is an "attendant" ever given authority to supersede their God's decision on who the next God will be? It really doesn't make sense that someone with lesser authority gets to decide. I mean that is like saying Mr. Popo was the one who choose Kami to be the next Kami. Not Kami's predecessor.
That's a good point. I personally never viewed Whis to an unerling of Beerus, just a deity who is also working to maintain the balance. I remember I've made up some theories of Whis origine. He definitely looks like a Kaioshin, only with a lack of pointed ears. So maybe he used to be a God of Creation once upon a time, but decided to leave his duty for other descendant Kaioshins in order to keep the balance(as he noticed that creating too much life forms and planets would cause the universe to colapse sooner of later) and employ lower beings for the God of Destruction job. In order to do that he should have decided to give up his creation powers and transform them into destructive ones to be able to train the Gods of Destruction.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:21 pm

Hitiro wrote:I would assume that Whis being an "attendant" is more of a description then his actual role like Kibito, Karin or Popo. Like Whis seems to have a choice in whether he does what he does for Beerus unlike the 3 previous people who have to do their jobs regardless. You also can't really say that every god abandons their position only through death. Because Goku was offered to become the new Kami by Kami himself. The previous Kami gave the position of Kami to the Kami we know as well. I find it hard to believe that a being as powerful as Whis didn't have the role in the first place. I also find it hard to believe that anybody other than a previous god can offer the role to someone else or train someone to take up that role if they hadn't of had the experience themselves. Honestly, when is an "attendant" ever given authority to supersede their God's decision on who the next God will be? It really doesn't make sense that someone with lesser authority gets to decide. I mean that is like saying Mr. Popo was the one who choose Kami to be the next Kami. Not Kami's predecessor.
We don't know if the previous Kami gave his position to Kami (Piccolo's good side) before his death, and Kami was about to die of old age in several years, and he was also considering to commit suicide at that point thanks to Piccolo. Plus, all the Kaio & Kaioshin stay in their jobs until they die from natural causes. Whis also says that Goku could replace Beerus after Beerus' death.

And finally, battle powers don't matter for gods. The only one who requires a huge battle power is the Hakaishin, and that's because his job is to destroy planets & stars without having mortals getting in his way. Having an attendant that is stronger than him doesn't mean that this attendant was the previous Hakaishin, especially when that attendant is in perfect health & shape, and even stays awake for all these millions of years.

Then again, Whis is a mysterious character, for whom we don't know much. But given to what we know so far, it sounds highly unlikely for him to be the previous Hakaishin.

Personally, I think he is chosen to be the Hakaishin's attendant because he is the strongest in the universe, so he can train each generation's Hakaishin to be the universe's #2 in order for him to be unstoppable, because that's the Hakaishin's job.