Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Fukkatsu no F"

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:00 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Can't we just treat it as PG-13, then? Just imagine Dragon Ball to be equivalent to Star Wars: Episode III.
I doubt it. Japan has only had a tiered film classification system since 1998, but I can't imagine any of the Dragon Ball films released prior to that would have been rated anything other than a G. (Japan has has no "PG" rating; just "G" and "PG-12".) Remember, the "Toei Anime Fair" consisted of movies from multiple series shown back-to-back, and was aimed at families. Battle of Gods was family-oriented, too, as you'll notice if you read interviews with the cast and staff on the film.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:04 am

I think both Fusion Reborn and Battle of Gods got a PG rating from the MPAA in the US as well. None of the DBZ movies are close to being PG-13 expect for maybe Movie 9 since it got pretty violent fast from what I can remember.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:14 am

Weird that we have gone on a tangent of "Gore as violence" being something that the movie could use. While I personally think the movie should be a little more serious and have a lot more action than BoG I don't think the movie needs any gore. The gore in DBZ didn't really add anything, especially since we know the characters are so strong they can pop someone's head(though I think Babidi's death was actually really well done, but I don't know how that was handled in the manga). We just need more fight scenes with some viscous blows, but said blows don't really need to involve gore.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:17 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Can't we just treat it as PG-13, then? Just imagine Dragon Ball to be equivalent to Star Wars: Episode III.
I doubt it. Japan has only had a tiered film classification system since 1998, but I can't imagine any of the Dragon Ball films released prior to that would have been rated anything other than a G. (Japan has has no "PG" rating; just "G" and "PG-12".) Remember, the "Toei Anime Fair" consisted of movies from multiple series shown back-to-back, and was aimed at families. Battle of Gods was family-oriented, too, as you'll notice if you read interviews with the cast and staff on the film.
Well, I was talking about Dragon Ball in general, but yeah, I agree that Battle of Gods is very family-oriented.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:18 am

ArchedThunder wrote:though I think Babidi's death was actually really well done, but I don't know how that was handled in the manga
Here you go.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:26 am

FatNagger69 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:though I think Babidi's death was actually really well done, but I don't know how that was handled in the manga
Here you go.
So not too different from the Anime. I think it worked in that case because of who Buu was and what the scene meant, but overall I don't think the series needs gore.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:27 am

Dragon Ball hasn't a definite age set up. It can be for kids, it can be for teenagers... Though I must say Babidi's death is one of the strongest scenes until these days. Violence varies greatly.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:48 am

I really hope we get more on the movie soon. I'm just too excited. Hope it doesn't take long to come to theaters this time.
Dyno wrote:Dragon Ball hasn't a definite age set up. It can be for kids, it can be for teenagers... Though I must say Babidi's death is one of the strongest scenes until these days. Violence varies greatly.
Don't forget, another gem with Dragon Ball in Weekly Shonen Jump was Fist of the North Star:

Now that's how you deal with evil villains (wanted to find a better image, but it was the best I could do at the moment).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:57 am

Mewzard wrote:I really hope we get more on the movie soon. I'm just too excited. Hope it doesn't take long to come to theaters this time.
Dyno wrote:Dragon Ball hasn't a definite age set up. It can be for kids, it can be for teenagers... Though I must say Babidi's death is one of the strongest scenes until these days. Violence varies greatly.
Don't forget, another gem with Dragon Ball in Weekly Shonen Jump was Fist of the North Star:

Now that's how you deal with evil villains (wanted to find a better image, but it was the best I could do at the moment).
OOhhhh, that's where my Puzzle and Dragons collab was getting its content from :D. *random tangent

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:29 am

In UK Battle of Gods is rated a 12 which is the equivalent of a PG-13 which is probably right. There was that scene where Vegeta said "bastard", don't know of any other bad language though.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:11 am

Wow.. Dragon Ball Full Color is really neat. This is actually the first image I've seen from it. I knew it existed but never really looked into it. Is this available in English from Viz? Any plans if not? I realize I could click over to the main site and probably get the answer instantly, but yeah.. lazy. Ok I think I'll go do that right after posting this :P
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution!" -Evil Lord Freeza
The best and most powerful villain in Dragon Ball

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:12 am

Viz has released the Saiyan Saga in that format, but if I remember correctly they have no plans to release anything more.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:07 am

Nothing about F in next week's Weekly Jump #12 TOC. Update's definitely being saved for VJump then.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:59 am

That's a shame. At least we know for certain that V-Jump will be big.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:11 am

So, we know the ROF manga adaptation is going to cover the "beginning" of the film, but what does everyone think we'll actually see from Toyotaro?

Ooishi's BOG adaptation covered the start of the film as well, but she skipped some material and made some changes too in order to cover what she needed to cover. We're getting three chapters this time, so we should obviously be getting a longer look, but what will be included? Will we see Freeza in Hell with the angels? Goku and Vegeta apparently training with Whis? Freeza's actual revival? The start of the invasion?
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:32 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:So, we know the ROF manga adaptation is going to cover the "beginning" of the film, but what does everyone think we'll actually see from Toyotaro?

Ooishi's BOG adaptation covered the start of the film as well, but she skipped some material and made some changes too in order to cover what she needed to cover. We're getting three chapters this time, so we should obviously be getting a longer look, but what will be included? Will we see Freeza in Hell with the angels? Goku and Vegeta apparently training with Whis? Freeza's actual revival? The start of the invasion?
I think all those parts are very likely to appear. We will see 3 chapters, after all. I'd say we will see Freeza with the angels and the collection of Dragon Balls in the first chapter, maybe some of Pilaf's gang.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:35 am

This topic needs to be kept as clean and on-topic as possible.

Furthermore, any more posts that get reported simply because you don't like them, rather than them breaking any actual community guidelines, will in turn be used as a strike on your own account.

Don't abuse the system, don't waste our time, and be awesome people.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:48 am

I'm imagining the Fukkatsu no F manga may be something similar to CoroCoro's adaptations of the Pokémon movies since Advanced Generation, which tend to cover something like 70% of the movie in serialisation, which later gets released as a full tankobon with some extra unserialised pages covering the rest of the film.

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:09 am

Mewzard wrote: Don't forget, another gem with Dragon Ball in Weekly Shonen Jump was Fist of the North Star:
And the thing most people don't know was that this was played for (dark) comedy too! Lots of manga have done this. Hokuto even argued for a lower rating for one of the games IIRC because of this.

In DBZ, the gorey bit with Buu killing Babidi shown further up is pretty much played for silliness; the contrast between the smiling childish character and the brutal violence he inflicts upon his master is more humorous than it would be in other contexts.
TheDevilsCorpse wrote: So, we know the ROF manga adaptation is going to cover the "beginning" of the film, but what does everyone think we'll actually see from Toyotaro?

I didn't know about this. Are we going to get lots of details we won't get in the film?

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:41 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:This is true, but at that point it devolves into what any individual group or person would find acceptable for kids, and there's never going to be able to be a standard on that.
Which would bring us to the point that saying that everything in DB is kid friendly & not everything in DB is kid friendly are both opinion based & not facts. :idea:

And personally, I don't believe that DB is just for kids. It is a series created mainly for kids, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the fan-base is largely consisted by teens/young adults. Not saying that because I can't admit I'm watching/reading a kid's series, I'm saying that because I feel that there are many things within the series that aren't appropriate for kids, which also make the show more attractive to older ages. Not to sound like an old-fashioned guy, I'd definitely let my kids watch anything Dragon Ball whatever age they are, because even if the show has inappropriate elements, I don't think that they make the whole series inappropriate for kids.
My kid Is four years old, and he watches DragonBall Z while watching he is constantly asking me why this? Why that?. When Goku died in the Cell Arc, I didn't need to explain much to him because the only thing that changed when he died was the halo above his head. I used to complain but now I understand why Toriyama did it like this and why the Animal Humans are not such a bad idea. Even Funi's censored version is sometimes better to watch for kids because most of the Sex stuff is censored out.If you have kids, you'll understand. Anyway, DragonBall is for Kids & Teens first. Most of us here started loving the show as kids and got older with it .For the older ones it's all nostalgia feeling of the good times we had, and we still can't let it go, after all, this years :lol: The in appropriated elements is because Japanse culture Is different than U.S and Europe culture. When DragonBall censored, Funi version was airing here In Holland parents complained about it being too much violence because they are used to watch Teletubby here. In Japan, It's normal for kids to watch violence just like it's normal for kids to shoot a gun in other countries.