Planetnamek.com is back... sort of!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Re: Planetnamek.com is back... sort of!

Post by GS7X7 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:34 pm

Adamant wrote:
B wrote:Nothing makes pre-Toonami old school Japanese fans feel more real than knowing they had just as ridiculous names as the next wave of fans. "GenkiDama99", "Suppa Goten-San", "Freeza" spelled correctly, plus "Vejita".
I had to chuckle at the fact that there was both a "Freeza's girl" and a "Freeza's guy" in that list.
I guess Freeza likes to swing both ways. :P
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:07 pm

GS7X7 wrote:
Adamant wrote:
B wrote:Nothing makes pre-Toonami old school Japanese fans feel more real than knowing they had just as ridiculous names as the next wave of fans. "GenkiDama99", "Suppa Goten-San", "Freeza" spelled correctly, plus "Vejita".
I had to chuckle at the fact that there was both a "Freeza's girl" and a "Freeza's guy" in that list.
I guess Freeza likes to swing both ways. :P
Well, his gender is considered kind of a mystery anyway, so I guess it fits!

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:06 am

Amazing, this used to be THE Dragon Ball website online, fantastic stuff.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:21 pm

Ah yes, I remember Planetnamek.com from back in the day. Like Unrivaled.info/whatever it was called before that (which did updated rankings while the Buu Saga aired on Toonami, iirc).

Never frequented DBZ uncensored, but Planetnamek's clips section certainly showed me what uncut Dragon Ball looked like (in terrible old school quality). Was it back in the Realmedia days? Those videos were awful (then again, I remember AOL 3.0 on Windows 3.1 on a Dial Up Modem, so 2000 internet was heaven compared to that, lol).

Good nostalgia for less informed days.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:54 pm

I always hung out on DBZOA. I missed out on most of the Planet Namek stuff.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:38 pm

As one who was a few years off from caring enough about Dragon Ball to browse fansites, I greatly appreciate the preservation of these things. Even I can see "Android Saga Single for $22!" and go "hnnnnng, I remember that!"
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:35 am

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:41 am

Any luck on getting the domain name?

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:59 pm

I never tried.

When I tried buying the domain from the dudes that own the domain or Ramza's old site they wanted $10,000. I figure PN's would go for a ridiculous sum too.

Still, does ANYONE go to planetnamek.com today and actually use the spam ads there to buy stuff?!

The ads change over time (it used to try and sell vacation stuff) but now it's trying to sell you carpets. What kind of idiot is going to randomly type in planetnamek.com and say to themselves, "oh boy, I really wanted to go carpet shopping today"?!

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:55 pm

Now that I think of it, didn't one of the staff members visit Funimation (back when that was allowed and before they got super big) and got a part as a background extra in an episode? And guys made a big deal about it.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:33 am

Yeah. That was Jon Allen. But he was a staff member of DaizenshuuEX, not Planet Namek, right? Or am I just hallucinating this late at night?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:05 am

GS7X7 wrote:I never tried.

When I tried buying the domain from the dudes that own the domain or Ramza's old site they wanted $10,000. I figure PN's would go for a ridiculous sum too.

Still, does ANYONE go to planetnamek.com today and actually use the spam ads there to buy stuff?!

The ads change over time (it used to try and sell vacation stuff) but now it's trying to sell you carpets. What kind of idiot is going to randomly type in planetnamek.com and say to themselves, "oh boy, I really wanted to go carpet shopping today"?!
It's not about the ads, it's about domain authority. It's over 15 years old and the fact that we can find stuff on Waybackmachine implies it's not 100% de-indexed, either. Completely unrelated commercial websites can make big money off Google ranks if they acquired PN's domain, set up some BS Wordpress site on it and then had that newly made site backlink to their money-making site. The ads are just there because of basic CPM; even if their ratio is only 1, that means 1 in 1,000 people are buying something, so it's making them nickles and dimes while they wait for someone to buy it off them for $10,000, which most certainly will happen eventually.

For an analogy, think of the current site as a $100 crap-shack sitting on a stretch of land worth $1,000,000,000. Whoever owns it, owns it, so it costs them nothing to just sit on it. Rather than do that, they throw up some Pepsi billboards on the crap-shack. Because the shack is worth only $100, their agreement with Pepsi is for a pitiful $5/month. That's still $60/year instead of $0, while the actual goal is to wait for someone to come along and pay the $1B for the land itself. In this example, the domain itself is the land, while what you see parked on it is the crap-shack.

To add to this, it's even possible the sites being advertised are actually owned by the same person, meaning he's already taking advantage of the bump in Google rankings I explained earlier.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:35 pm

Dayspring wrote:

It's not about the ads, it's about domain authority. It's over 15 years old and the fact that we can find stuff on Waybackmachine implies it's not 100% de-indexed, either. Completely unrelated commercial websites can make big money off Google ranks if they acquired PN's domain, set up some BS Wordpress site on it and then had that newly made site backlink to their money-making site. The ads are just there because of basic CPM; even if their ratio is only 1, that means 1 in 1,000 people are buying something, so it's making them nickles and dimes while they wait for someone to buy it off them for $10,000, which most certainly will happen eventually.

For an analogy, think of the current site as a $100 crap-shack sitting on a stretch of land worth $1,000,000,000. Whoever owns it, owns it, so it costs them nothing to just sit on it. Rather than do that, they throw up some Pepsi billboards on the crap-shack. Because the shack is worth only $100, their agreement with Pepsi is for a pitiful $5/month. That's still $60/year instead of $0, while the actual goal is to wait for someone to come along and pay the $1B for the land itself. In this example, the domain itself is the land, while what you see parked on it is the crap-shack.

To add to this, it's even possible the sites being advertised are actually owned by the same person, meaning he's already taking advantage of the bump in Google rankings I explained earlier.

Yeah, but... why do people buy stuff from spam sites?

Even if it's something I wanted, I'd rather buy from a legit site like Amazon than some spam site I don't know if I can trust or not.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:03 pm

GS7X7 wrote:
Dayspring wrote:

Yeah, but... why do people buy stuff from spam sites?

Even if it's something I wanted, I'd rather buy from a legit site like Amazon than some spam site I don't know if I can trust or not.
Not all spam sites are illegitimate. But the basic response is that, on average, a minimum of 0.1% of people are fucking idiots. It's why even polls on the most basic things ("Is water evil?") won't ever have 100% consensus. It's why people still fall for that Nigerian Prince email scam. All it takes is one idiot and the spam sending was completely worthwhile.

Also, the URL now redirects to Archeo Domains. This means the URL is valued at a minimum of $5,000 based on the potential offers you can choose from. It may be possible to undercut that by selecting $5,000 to $10,000 and then making the actual offer below $5,000 in the comments section.

The fact of the matter is that planetnamek.com will never be a Dragonball site again unless it's run by a major commercial site. It may own emotional value to a small amount of DB fanboys, but the Internet Marketing value it holds is worth thousands of dollars/year.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.