Buu Saga Box Set

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Re: Buu Saga Box Set

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:59 am

So, I was finally able to sit down and watch the entire set and unfortunately it seems that there are still some instances where the green tint comes through. However, after comparing to the raws, it doesn't seem to be as heavy as it appeared on the broadcast and those scenes still looked better to me on the Blu-ray. I guess you could say it is kind of a mixed bag, but overall, the colors definitely seem more vibrant and alive to me on the Blu-ray compared to the broadcast. It really comes down to this being a situation where different people will have different opinions. I know some people who like the way the broadcast looks and many people who hate it. Whether or not these sets look good pretty much comes down to the individual's tastes.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:49 pm

I can now confirm that yes, the video is still green. Sorry.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:55 pm

To follow up on Puto's comment; here's some screenshots and comparisons with the broadcast just to illustrate that it is absolutely the same in terms of aspect ratio and colour. The only difference is obviously the resolution and compression. Although they really make little difference considering how poor this all is. Blu-ray appears a fraction brighter and saturated but that's more likely the RAW I've used rather than actually being a true difference.

And here's a link for rollover comparisons if that's more your thing.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:43 pm

This is why I was relentlessly skeptical about subjective judgments about colors like an asshole. It's the same as when some people said the Korean broadcast doesn't have the tint, after all.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:06 am

Does anyone know why they added this tint ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:31 am

The theory is that it's the cheapest way to ensure kids don't have seizures.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:53 am

It's just that the colorist was incompetent.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:21 am

Puto wrote:The theory is that it's the cheapest way to ensure kids don't have seizures.
Kids have ruined everything regarding to cartoons.

Why not put a warning before each episode starts about the content instead of ruining it for everyone ? Don't they know that adults like us is what keeps them in business ?

Any way if we're lucky Funi will fix it in their release.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:24 am

kei17 wrote:It's just that the colorist was incompetent.
Indeed, it could be voluntary...I mean, they seem very proud of their color correction : http://youtu.be/Y0FwDGDwH1A?t=2m11s

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:38 am

sintzu wrote:Why not put a warning before each episode starts about the content instead of ruining it for everyone ?
They do that too.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:16 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:To follow up on Puto's comment; here's some screenshots and comparisons with the broadcast just to illustrate that it is absolutely the same in terms of aspect ratio and colour. The only difference is obviously the resolution and compression. Although they really make little difference considering how poor this all is. Blu-ray appears a fraction brighter and saturated but that's more likely the RAW I've used rather than actually being a true difference.

And here's a link for rollover comparisons if that's more your thing.
The Blu-ray looks definitely better even though the green tint is still there, also, while not ideal I might just tweak the colours of my HDTV when watching it to improve the colours for my viewing experience.

Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters consists of 69 episodes so it might get around this if FUNimation uses Parts' release first.

Part 1: Eps. 01-12
Part 2: Eps. 13-24
Part 3: Eps. 25-36
Part 4: Eps. 37-48
Part 5: Eps. 49-60
Part 6: Eps. 61-69

And now the Season edition:

Season 1: Eps. 01-26
Season 2: Eps. 27-52
Season 3: Eps. 53-69

This time around I may just go with the Season sets as there's nothing exclusive to the Part sets.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:34 pm

Puto wrote:The theory is that it's the cheapest way to ensure kids don't have seizures.
I seriously doubt that's the case because flashing shots all got their bright frames dropped and some effects were replaced with less flashing ones. Also, the depth of the green tint varies episode to episode, which means that it's not an effect added uniformly. Obviously it's just that the colorist couldn't unify the colors.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:10 am

kei17 wrote:
I seriously doubt that's the case because flashing shots all got their bright frames dropped and some effects were replaced with less flashing ones. Also, the depth of the green tint varies episode to episode, which means that it's not an effect added uniformly. Obviously it's just that the colorist couldn't unify the colors.
In other words it's a part of the remastering of the video and wanting Funi to remove it will be like wanting them to remove the redrawn scenes in the original Kai right ?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:50 am

If FUNimation does anything to these sets then it'll be translated credits (with their own voice actors / voice actresses listed too) and increased brightness (western companies have the tendency to pump the brightness including FUNimation).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:13 pm

With Set 3 released, I wonder if it will be uncut?. I'm referring to the head exploding scene at the Tenkaichi Budokai with Babidi.