Happy 15th Anniversary to UK Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Theophrastus
Regular

Re: Happy 15th Anniversary to UK Dragon Ball

Post by Theophrastus » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:28 am

It kind of baffles me that you guys never got DBZ on home video until 2012.

I understand that the whole situation with the Westwood dub was kind of weird, but even if it would've conflicted with what was airing on TV, I'm not sure why it took Manga Entertainment so long to license Funimation's DVDs to release over there?

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:07 am

Theophrastus wrote:It kind of baffles me that you guys never got DBZ on home video until 2012.

I understand that the whole situation with the Westwood dub was kind of weird, but even if it would've conflicted with what was airing on TV, I'm not sure why it took Manga Entertainment so long to license Funimation's DVDs to release over there?
Supposedly Manga UK intended to release it around 2007 but for whatever reason either couldn't or decided not to. Still better late than never.

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:12 am

What fun ride that run was. I started watching in August 2000 when we were in the Freeza saga when Freeza was fighting in his second or third form. It was a bit of a cluster f*** at times with the dub switching and channel swaps. But great memories overall, and those adverts really brings it back.

Another thought I've just had is that I really dig how in my real life experiences back then and even now <albeit mainly from a nostalgic point of view> how DB in the UK borderlined being this niche, cult, underground-ish thing and at the same time being on the cusp of being part of of the mainstream but not quite. When it comes up in conversation nowadays with new people you meet at work, social events etc. it's like discovering that we were all apart of this awesome secret club without realising it, but these occurrences happen too often that it can't be much of a secret club. Then you remember back in the school days that it had a significant following from those I went to school with during the time it originally aired, but never blew up in the way Pokemon did. It's like "yeah? you watched that too? I loved that show!" Equally, you'll come across people who heard of it, maybe seen an episode here or there but were never fans. It just always had an understated aura of cool about it here in the UK that in some small ways is still palpable.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:11 am

DBZimran wrote:
NitroEX wrote::clap: Brilliant stuff DBZimran, it's great to see all these old ads again.

I don't suppose you have anymore? I've been trying to find the original version of this for a while (the uploader replaced the music and sound). It was originally accompanied by this song and a bunch of stock sound effects. I vividly remember the ad during reruns of the Trunks/Android saga here in the UK and would always get a laugh out of it because of how random it was. It would be great if someone still has a copy.
Here you go buddy: http://mudra.tv/view_video.php?viewkey= ... ategory=no I have loads of adverts i'll just swift through them, most of them are on Youtube though. Just been downloading the adverts on Youtube over the years. Haha!
It lives!! Your a legend, thanks.

It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a way to download it from that site but at least it's not gone from the internet forever.
Theophrastus wrote:It kind of baffles me that you guys never got DBZ on home video until 2012.

I think Toei has been the one to blame, perhaps they didn't trust Manga UK until recently for whatever reason.

Apparently Toei prevented a UK kid's channel from using Ocean's version of Kai too which really leaves me scratching my head as it was the perfect time to release a dub nobody had seen before. I honestly wish I knew why they make some of the decisions the way they do.

At least they're not handing over DBZ to those scrubs at K&K productions. They've seemingly got some sense in that area.

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:05 pm

NitroEX wrote: Apparently Toei prevented a UK kid's channel from using Ocean's version of Kai too which really leaves me scratching my head as it was the perfect time to release a dub nobody had seen before. I honestly wish I knew why they make some of the decisions the way they do.

At least they're not handing over DBZ to those scrubs at K&K productions. They've seemingly got some sense in that area.
Wow! Where did you hear that Toei didn't want 'Kix!' to have the Ocean version of Kai. LOL K&K productions bless their cotton socks are being way too ambitious they are not skilled enough to work on a Live Action Dragon Ball Z adaptation. Re-watching the Saiyan Saga trailer they made honestly makes me cringe. I do however like Dragon Ball Z: Light of Hope, but the acting could do with some work.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:26 pm

NitroEX wrote:

It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a way to download it from that site but at least it's not gone from the internet forever.
Well here's the ".flv" file from the website for the ad if you want to download it: http://mudra.tv/flvideo/7174.flv

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:19 pm

thaman91 wrote:
NitroEX wrote:

Well here's the ".flv" file from the website for the ad if you want to download it: http://mudra.tv/flvideo/7174.flv
Ah the memories... that ad didn't air much in the UK. It was originally aired on some other European Cartoon Network right? The UK version was kept short or edited, I think, still a really weird promo ad.

EDIT: Yes it originally aired on a Dutch channel, then the UK. Also just found out that Dragon Ball Z got cancelled there for being too 'sexual' and 'violent', after watching that pixelvision ad it's no wonder, wasn't much point emphasizing the sexuality in the first place, that ad alone could have got it canceled. I wonder what other crazy ads the dutch got. I know the UK had a strange Budokai commercial.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:33 pm

DBZimran wrote: Wow! Where did you hear that Toei didn't want 'Kix!' to have the Ocean version of Kai.
This was a while back in the Ocean Kai thread. A user by the name of Subzero Ice claimed that Kix (or CSC media) were not given the option (from Toei) to use the Ocean dub despite being aware of it's existence.

You can find the post on this page: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... start=2760

It seems like Toei have been the ones preventing that dub from coming out which is stupid considering all the Big Green dubs that were allowed to pass.

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:02 pm

NitroEX wrote:
DBZimran wrote: Wow! Where did you hear that Toei didn't want 'Kix!' to have the Ocean version of Kai.
This was a while back in the Ocean Kai thread. A user by the name of Subzero Ice claimed that Kix (or CSC media) were not given the option (from Toei) to use the Ocean dub despite being aware of it's existence.

You can find the post on this page: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... start=2760

It seems like Toei have been the ones preventing that dub from coming out which is stupid considering all the Big Green dubs that were allowed to pass.
Maybe it's good that the Ocean Kai dub didn't surface, I mean it would've been interesting for fans but if Toei wasn't happy then it's probably not the best dub for a new audience. The big green dubs were produced before Toei went hard on international brand recognition, they used to be happy with just selling licenses.

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:47 pm

Literally cannot believe its been 5 years, I remember posting the story up on UKdb back then. I can't say that I care for that dub anymore I mean its confusing why did voice actors come out and say they were dubbing characters back in 2010 if it never surfaced.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:05 pm

NinjaGoku wrote: Maybe it's good that the Ocean Kai dub didn't surface, I mean it would've been interesting for fans but if Toei wasn't happy then it's probably not the best dub for a new audience. The big green dubs were produced before Toei went hard on international brand recognition, they used to be happy with just selling licenses.
Sorry but I can't agree with that.

Really it should be the fans judging if it's a good dub, not some Japanese suits who probably can't speak a word of English. There's a very good chance the Ocean version could be better acted than the Funimation one especially when you consider their talent pool. We as fans could be missing out on something great and Toei don't seem to care.

Scott McNeil and Lee Tockar both seemed to be proud of their work on the dub the few times they talked about it so it's not fair to those actors either never mind all the money that went into producing it. It's not hurting Funimation in any way since it's not for American audiences so really there should be no reason to prevent it.

I'm hoping that they're only withholding it until Funimation finishes releasing Buu Kai but no matter how you look at it they aren't justified in preventing it's release. In the end it just makes them look worse in the eyes of fans.
DBZimran wrote:I mean its confusing why did voice actors come out and say they were dubbing characters back in 2010 if it never surfaced.
I believe they were still in the casting stage in 2010. Since then multiple actors have confirmed the dubbing has been complete for a long time (at least until the end of the Cell arc).

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:15 am

NinjaGoku wrote:Maybe it's good that the Ocean Kai dub didn't surface, I mean it would've been interesting for fans but if Toei wasn't happy then it's probably not the best dub for a new audience. The big green dubs were produced before Toei went hard on international brand recognition, they used to be happy with just selling licenses.
I agree that it shouldn't have been the version shown on TV in the UK simply because it was completely unnecessary. When you consider how the Westwood Z dub turned out back in the day I was really super relieved to hear that the Funimation dub was airing on Kix. Add to that the fact that we've had the videogames coming out over the years with the Funi voices, and more recently a DVD release, it just wouldn't have made sense to force a potentially low-budget Ocean dub on us again. Doing so would have further divided the fanbase unnecessarily.

Personally I take the things I hear with a grain of salt. There's no actual evidence to suggest that Kix were aware of there being 2 dubs, let alone actually knowing enough about them both to come up with a solid preference. For the sake of those who care about it I hope Ocean Kai gets a home release, but it shouldn't be the version that gets forced on anyone when there's already a great English dub of Kai.