DB:The Path to Power good for a substitute for the original?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nex Carnifex
Banned

DB:The Path to Power good for a substitute for the original?

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:58 pm

What I mean is, is Dragon Ball: The Path to Power movie a worthy substitute for the episodes of the original series that it covers? I want to watch the original Dragon Ball story with someone whom I watched Dragon Ball Z (subs) with a long time ago, but I'd rather not have 100 20 minute long episodes to go through, especially since Dragon Ball isn't the most dramatic and nail biting drama ever. What would I be missing if I substituted the beginning of Dragon Ball with this movie and then switched over to the original series where it leaves off?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: DB:The Path to Power good for a substitute for the origi

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:07 pm

You'd be missing a lot. Too much to list here.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:09 pm

Seeing how it merges the first hunt for the Dragon Balls with the Red Ribbon Army material... A lot? Everything with Pilaf, which sets up his character for the end of the Red Ribbon Army Arc and Piccolo Daimao Arc. The entire first Tenkaichi Budokai, which sets up context the rest of the tournaments being what they are. A lot of the Red Ribbon stuff itself is glossed over, skipping the set up for Tao Pai Pai's return at the 23rd Budokai. The list can keep going too.

You can substitute it if you really want, but I wouldn't suggest it.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:11 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:What I mean is, is Dragon Ball: The Path to Power movie a worthy substitute for the episodes of the original series that it covers? I want to watch the original Dragon Ball story with someone whom I watched Dragon Ball Z (subs) with a long time ago, but I'd rather not have 100 20 minute long episodes to go through, especially since Dragon Ball isn't the most dramatic and nail biting drama ever. What would I be missing if I substituted the beginning of Dragon Ball with this movie and then switched over to the original series where it leaves off?
You'd be missing way too much. IMO It's a good introduction to the series for someone who is wants to try it out, but it won't work as a substitute for actual beginning.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:13 pm

This Movie doesn't even come close to covering 100 episodes, really. It's basically a retelling of the first 13 episodes, except with the Red Ribbon Army from later in the series. Because the continuity and timeline are so different here, it simply doesn't work jumping into the middle of the series after seeing this movie.

I'd recommend just seeing Dragon Ball as is. It's only about half the length of DBZ, and doesn't have too many of those staredowns and other filler.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:19 pm

Personally i find Path to Power more as a substitute to DB Movie 1, rather than actual series, but yeah, you'll be missing lots of stuff, no Kuririn, no Roshi giving Goku valuable lesson by beating him in tournament...if you want a substitute, i recommend you to watch DB Dissection by MistareFusion, not only he already covered DB portion of manga, but is also up to RRA in anime :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:23 pm

suppose I did watch it before it went into the red ribbon army part, then what episode would I pick up the series from?

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:24 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:What would I be missing if I substituted the beginning of Dragon Ball with this movie and then switched over to the original series where it leaves off?
You would miss all the good parts of the RRA arc. Muscle Tower, General Blue, training with Karin, and Tao Pai Pai.
If you don't want to waste time watching all those episodes you could just read the manga.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:25 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:suppose I did watch it before it went into the red ribbon army part, then what episode would I pick up the series from?
After watching the movie? At the beginning. IMO You'd be missing way to much to start anywhere else.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:40 pm

Path Of The Power is in no way a good substitute for the original anime episodes. Too much content is cut out.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:12 pm

Ok ok I see, what a shame the animation is so nice thought it would be a good way to kick of the Dragon Ball story

Vidmusc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vidmusc » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:33 pm

Not in the slightest. You'd be missing the entirety of Dragon Ball's story. All it covers is Goku meeting Bulma, Yamcha, Oolong, etc. and the fight against the Red Ribbon Army. And even then, the fight against the Red Ribbon Army is drastically different from the original, what with all the characters redesigned and all. It skips over Pilaf, the Tournament, Tenshinhan, Piccolo, etc. It'd be in your best interest to watch through Dragon Ball.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:34 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:Ok ok I see, what a shame the animation is so nice thought it would be a good way to kick of the Dragon Ball story
Don't get me wrong, it's a good movie! I definitely recommend checking it out as well. We're just saying it's not meant to replace any part of the series, really. It's more of a what-if re-imagining.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:35 pm

A substitute no. A gateway or taste of Dragon Ball, I think it's good enough to just get a little sample of Dragon Ball.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:48 pm

It is not. It is great Anniversary special, but it doesn't simply works. It's rushed together and lot of the original story is left out.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:50 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:What I mean is, is Dragon Ball: The Path to Power movie a worthy substitute for the episodes of the original series that it covers? I want to watch the original Dragon Ball story with someone whom I watched Dragon Ball Z (subs) with a long time ago, but I'd rather not have 100 20 minute long episodes to go through, especially since Dragon Ball isn't the most dramatic and nail biting drama ever. What would I be missing if I substituted the beginning of Dragon Ball with this movie and then switched over to the original series where it leaves off?
You really could just skip the 100% filler episodes, which would cut away around 15-20 episodes I think. So there's some help lol. I would watch the DB series, though. Path to Power is good, but like others have said, you'd miss a lot

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:50 pm

Path to Power might be good for showing a casual audience whom isn't going to actually read/watch the story, but it certainly does not serve as a substitute. None of the Dragon Ball / Z/ GT films really fit that purpose.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:07 pm

I wouldn't say that Path to Power is a good way to introduce someone to the series. If they actually like the film, and then start watching the anime, they may get a bit put off by the change in pacing and art style. I'd suggest using The Legend of Shenron instead.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:08 pm

Path to Power doesn't even cover the King Piccolo saga. Which is arguably Z beta.

There's really no way to do all of DB other than by watching them all.. it'd be nice if there was a original DB Kai, but that's not gonna happen.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:09 pm

You really should watch the DB series! It may take a while depending on how busy you are but it really is worth it. Like I've said before I was introduced to DBZ first during the Namek arc and I wish I would have heard of Dragonball first, I'm just the kind of person that needs to watch things from beginning to end.

You will feel 100x more of a connection with the characters when you discover their back stories and how they all became friends. Once the king piccolo arc hit I didn't want the series to end ever.