Check Out Akira Toriyama Mansion ;)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Re: Check Out Akira Toriyama Mansion ;)

Post by GS7X7 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:19 pm

America's a giant country that's been around for a few centuries while Japan is a small country that's been around (without the original inhabitants being wiped out by disease/conquest) for countless millenia. It's natural that their definition of a "large" property would be smaller than America's.
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:11 am

If I had a mansion like that I and was famous I wouldn't be too creeped out if someone took a picture of it but I would be creeped out if I saw them taking pictures if that makes any sense...like if I saw a picture of it online I would be like "ho-hum not much I can do to stop them looking at my house, no damage done"

Of course it also depends what part of the house they take a picture of, if it's just the front that's cool, but if it shows of areas that look like the person was trying to find a way of breaking and entering then I would be creeped out, if they took a picture from INSIDE my house without me knowing then yeah...extremely creepy at that point

And lastly, if my mansion was located on a large plot of land in the countryside and someone managed to walk all the way up the front garden to get pictures of it then I would be probably wanting to tighten security around my land at that point, whereas Toriyama's house is in a city area so people walk past it and get to see it a lot.

So anyway, what do you all think is inside casa de Toriyama? Is it just your average (Japanese) household on the inside? Is there Dragon Ball/Doctor Slump merchandise everywhere? Does he have a huge garage full of classic vehicles with sketches of them on the walls?

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:56 am

Deathbringer wrote:So anyway, what do you all think is inside casa de Toriyama? Is it just your average (Japanese) household on the inside? Is there Dragon Ball/Doctor Slump merchandise everywhere? Does he have a huge garage full of classic vehicles with sketches of them on the walls?
Model kits, floor to ceiling, wall to wall.

The garage probably still has a few of his cars, motorbikes, and bicycles, though.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:55 pm

Where does he keep his collection of mangas and original artworks as well as free merchandise?

I remember in Bakuman that one Shonen Jump guy got a permanent apartment somewhere where it all got stored.

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:05 pm

GS7X7 wrote:Where does he keep his collection of mangas and original artworks as well as free merchandise?

I remember in Bakuman that one Shonen Jump guy got a permanent apartment somewhere where it all got stored.
Probably crumpled in a corner or in the trash. There's been many accounts of Toriyama not caring one bit for preserving his original manuscripts.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:41 pm

Ah man imagine owning the very first sketch he did of Goku, that would be the greatest memorabilia of all time!

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:55 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
GS7X7 wrote:Where does he keep his collection of mangas and original artworks as well as free merchandise?

Probably crumpled in a corner or in the trash. There's been many accounts of Toriyama not caring one bit for preserving his original manuscripts.
He may not care but the people around him (say, an editor's fanboy son) would. He's disinterested himself but he knows enough to know there's strong interest in his work and that somebody would like it. (or be willing to pay for it someday) That said, it's probably in storage somewhere far away that he rarely goes to. Maybe Toei or SJ holds on to it for him.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:19 pm

GS7X7 wrote: That said, it's probably in storage somewhere far away that he rarely goes to. Maybe Toei or SJ holds on to it for him.
No, I mean, they were literally crumpled in a corner. I believe it was Torishima who spoke about how he was shocked to find Toriyama's original work covered in his children's scribbles and piled up all over the place without a care in the world.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:35 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Ah man imagine owning the very first sketch he did of Goku, that would be the greatest memorabilia of all time!
I am certain if you had your hands on something like that, it would be worth hundreds of thousands.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:44 pm

Deathbringer wrote:So anyway, what do you all think is inside casa de Toriyama? Is it just your average (Japanese) household on the inside? Is there Dragon Ball/Doctor Slump merchandise everywhere? Does he have a huge garage full of classic vehicles with sketches of them on the walls?
I'd say his house is just like any other with maybe a room or closet stuffed with his original works/merchandise based off of them.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:34 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
GS7X7 wrote: That said, it's probably in storage somewhere far away that he rarely goes to. Maybe Toei or SJ holds on to it for him.
No, I mean, they were literally crumpled in a corner. I believe it was Torishima who spoke about how he was shocked to find Toriyama's original work covered in his children's scribbles and piled up all over the place without a care in the world.

Afterwards did Torishima talk sense into him? Or at least offer to take them off his hands?

Aritz182

Post by Aritz182 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:21 pm

I am visiting Japan on November, and FOR SURE I am going to visit BIRD STUDIO just to take some pictures of me there with the TORIYAMA name on the entrance.
Let's hope he is at home, I am planning of giving him an special gift from my hometown. Let see if I am lucky enough and get an autographed paint from him in return :P